Tips on removing a stuck strap

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, it would be a shame after all of this, Apple wants to charge you for replacement Watch.

With a phone or computer this most likely would have been resolved much quicker, locally. Fingers crossed for ya!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
At this point, I have no idea where I stand. I appreciate Tommy being thorough, but I will be very disappointing if, after all this, I'm out of luck. I would understand if I hadn't been forthcoming with the information that it was a third party strap/adapter. A bit frustrating. I'm not sure who is really interested at this point, but it's potentially a good lesson for those of us who use third party straps.

I'd be super surprised if they charged you for it. You put in a strap... unless there's something in the warranty that says it doesn't cover 3rd party straps. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
robertk328 said:
unless there's something in the warranty that says it doesn't cover 3rd party straps

Just as I don't read EULAs, I don't read warranties unless and until I absolutely have to.

My money says that there is someone in the warranty that will/would allow allow them to say that the Watch isn't covered. It wouldn't have to say 'third-party bands' specifically.

Macs famously allowed users to change out RAM for third-party memory as along as you didn't do any damage. And this is pretty much what happened with the Watch band. I'd bet dollars to Tim Horton's that they have very firm ground on which to stand if they choose. And we hope they don't.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just as I don't read EULAs, I don't read warranties unless and until I absolutely have to.

My money says that there is someone in the warranty that will/would allow allow them to say that the Watch isn't covered. It wouldn't have to say 'third-party bands' specifically.

Macs famously allowed users to change out RAM for third-party memory as along as you didn't do any damage. And this is pretty much what happened with the Watch band. I'd bet dollars to Tim Horton's that they have very firm ground on which to stand if they choose. And we hope they don't.

To swap ram you have to open it. This you just have to press a button and slide. I still say I would be surprised if they charge anything.

You're probably right about the language but if they do that with a band that is designed to be interchangeable, that's asking for trouble.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
robertk328 said:
To swap ram you have to open it. This you just have to press a button

No difference. Adding RAM in a 27" iMac is designed to be user accessible same as an interchangeable watch band. User's action on a part designed to be replaced/changed by the user. Actions are different, principle is exactly the same.

robertk328 said:
that's asking for trouble.

That's why there're carefully worded warranties. Just because you're given options doesn't mean you don't have to be careful. No reason Apple should be responsible for the failure of a third-party part installed by user.

I expect Apple will probably do this no charge, as that's what the OP was told. Apple does stuff like that from time to time. My only point is they're very likely under no obligation to do so. Sometimes people catch a break, sometimes not. Just sayin'.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
robertk328 said:
To swap ram you have to open it. This you just have to press a button

No difference. Adding RAM in a 27" iMac is designed to be user accessible same as an interchangeable watch band. User's action on a part designed to be replaced/changed by the user. Actions are different, principle is exactly the same.

robertk328 said:
that's asking for trouble.

That's why there're carefully worded warranties. Just because you're given options doesn't mean you don't have to be careful. No reason Apple should be responsible for the failure of a third-party part installed by user.

I expect Apple will probably do this no charge, as that's what the OP was told. Apple does stuff like that from time to time. My only point is they're very likely under no obligation to do so. Sometimes people catch a break, sometimes not. Just sayin'.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I see your point, but the watch is designed for bands to be changed at will. How many change the RAM in their iMac every day?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I see your point, but the watch is designed for bands to be changed at will. How many change the RAM in their iMac every day?

True. I only exchange my RAM every other Tuesday.

In all seriousness, I've changed RAM maybe once in all of my ears owning Macs.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
robertk328 said:
I see your point, but the watch is designed for bands to be changed at will.

All the more reason for the end user to use compatible, reliable parts. Same principle. How is frequency the issue? How is that relevant to the use of third-party bands?

Had this been an Apple band, Apple would no doubt repair/replace as per warranty, and possibly out of warranty as well.

This Warranty does not apply:. . . (c) to damage caused by use with a third party component or product that does not meet the Apple Product’s specifications (Apple Product specifications are available at www.apple.com under the technical specifications for each product and also available in stores) https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/warranty-us.html#mn_p

I guess I'm just making it clear, or trying to, that there is no onus on Apple. Or are you saying that because of the possible frequency of changes, that Apple has an obligation to insure the Watch works with non-Apple parts? Good luck with that.

This goes back to the mention about Apple's warranty excluding the use of third-party bands. I'm saying that there's probably no such stipulation necessary. Apple Care Plus offers additional protection with additional conditions.

Apple has their obligations and we have ours if we choose to honor the warranty. If the Watch somehow failed, then the third-party band is moot, as per the warranty. If the Watch didn't fail, then the band is in question.

I'm not going to comment any further on base speculation and potential interpretations. They very likely won't help the OP. I hope he has good news for us and him. :)

Rob Phillips said:
In all seriousness, I've changed RAM maybe once in all of my ears owning Macs.

As another singular data point, I've changed RAM at least once in every single one of the many Macs I've owned except my latest MacBook and a 21" iMac. It's not possible with the former and not worth my time for the latter. My rule is buy with minimal RAM and upgrade with third-party memory. I've done this for others as well. In the current lineup that practice is only possible now with the Mac Pro and 27" iMac.

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Another update! Tommy stated I should send back the replacement Watch head, as they most likely would charge me the full $599 if I kept it, since a third party modification/band caused the issue. What's interesting to me is that is the price of a new Watch, and they didn't send me a new Watch. They sent me the head only, and it's either new or refurbished (which they state is a possibility). I didn't get a new band, a new charger, or new packaging.

Anyways, Tommy stated that once the $599 hold on my credit card drops off, we can do the entire process again, except this time I'll have to pay the $79 incident fee for my Apple Care+. So, I see light at the end of the tunnel ;)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Another update! Tommy stated I should send back the replacement Watch head, as they most likely would charge me the full $599 if I kept it, since a third party modification/band caused the issue. What's interesting to me is that is the price of a new Watch, and they didn't send me a new Watch. They sent me the head only, and it's either new or refurbished (which they state is a possibility). I didn't get a new band, a new charger, or new packaging.

Anyways, Tommy stated that once the $599 hold on my credit card drops off, we can do the entire process again, except this time I'll have to pay the $79 incident fee for my Apple Care+. So, I see light at the end of the tunnel ;)

Slow and steady wins the race! Thanks for continually keeping us updated on this!

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Another update. I sent my Watch off today, and the word is that this time they'll be sending me a brand new Watch, no charge, no Apple Care + incident fee. In addition, they'll have Apple Care + added to the new Watch. I'm hesitant to say I'm home free, as this is the third time I've sent my Watch off, but I am hopeful.

I've been wearing my AW Sport in the interim, and I have to say that I really like the matte aluminum finish. It's normally been my workout/yard work Watch, but I bet it would dress up nice with the correct band. I'd like to see Apple add a brushed SS Watch to the lineup for Gen 3, or at least give us more official strap options for the aluminum Sport Watch.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Another update. I sent my Watch off today, and the word is that this time they'll be sending me a brand new Watch, no charge, no Apple Care + incident fee. In addition, they'll have Apple Care + added to the new Watch. I'm hesitant to say I'm home free, as this is the third time I've sent my Watch off, but I am hopeful.

I've been wearing my AW Sport in the interim, and I have to say that I really like the matte aluminum finish. It's normally been my workout/yard work Watch, but I bet it would dress up nice with the correct band. I'd like to see Apple add a brushed SS Watch to the lineup for Gen 3, or at least give us more official strap options for the aluminum Sport Watch.

I would say "Good news!" but let's see what happens lol

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The sport band that came with my watch works great. The aftermarket bands, both Apple and 3rd party, stick.

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
So, my replacement Watch is on the FedEx vehicle for delivery today. Looks a like a happy ending. Lots of trips back and forth to the Apple store, and hours on the phone, but it all worked out in the end. Moral of the story: use third-party Apple Watch bands at your own risk. And don't consider price a safety net. The band that got stuck in my Watch was around $100. That said, I'll probably continue to use third party bands until Apple is more flexible with their adapter colors. Thanks for all the good vibes from everyone :)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So, my replacement Watch is on the FedEx vehicle for delivery today. Looks a like a happy ending. Lots of trips back and forth to the Apple store, and hours on the phone, but it all worked out in the end. Moral of the story: use third-party Apple Watch bands at your own risk. And don't consider price a safety net. The band that got stuck in my Watch was around $100. That said, I'll probably continue to use third party bands until Apple is more flexible with their adapter colors. Thanks for all the good vibes from everyone :)

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
A Nike Knock Off band I just got from a third party vendor (Electro Buy Online, Amazon Marketplace) self-destructed when first trying to put it in the Watch.

The band slid in up to the metal bit in the middle of the lug that locks the band in place. That bit hung up on the edge of the Watch and then popped out.

Had this happened when the band was fully in, I might have been in the same position as the OP. I bought two bands from this vendor and the second one worked just fine, but now I'm a little gun shy.

Besides the actual wardrobe malfunction, the band isn't as nice looking as KOs go. It more resembles the Apple Nike band then is a good knock off. I won't buy from this vendor again.

The real problem is that this band may be sold under different names by more than one vendor, so it's very much a buyer beware situation. My other KOs seem fine and look better than this one.

I ordered these two bands because they're colors that aren't available from Nike. With one exception (Yellow Sport-ish) the KOs are colors that I can't get from Apple. So the plan is to get the Apple versions before season change and maybe skip most of the 'bargain' KOs.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
And don't consider price a safety net. The band that got stuck in my Watch was around $100.

True. While not a guarantee, I would tend to think that bands at a more expensive price point might tend to be of generally higher quality. It's not the sole metric but a higher quality product typically commands a higher price as a result of better construction and materials, and not just cachet.

Yes, anything at any price can still fail. BMW, Nikon, Patek Philippe, etc., can and do have failures. That's why they have warranties. Stepping outside the warranty is not without risks. I think I'll tread more carefully from here on out.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73