Tips on removing a stuck strap

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm a bit of a strap addict. I've got maybe 10 different Apple Watch straps, some Apple branded, some after market. I recently purchased a nice leather strap from Arrow & Board. It went on easy enough, but now the bottom (longer) strap is absolutely stuck on. I mean, it won't budge a mm. Has anyone run into this problem before with other straps, and found a solution? I really don't want to break out a vice and pliers, but I'm out of ideas. I'm thinking about taking it to the Apple store, but I'm nervous that it might invalidate my Apple Care.

Thanks in advance.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Is the band upside down? That will cause it to stick. If so, you need to get the lugs away from the lock by trying to push the lugs upwards in the direction of the screen (so if the watch is flat, face up, push the lugs straight up as well)

If not, does the release button move when you push it in? What happens when you try to slide and push the button at the same time?
Don't use any tool to remove, if you can't get it out I believe an Apple Store can help you and won't affect warranty as you've done nothing to the device. :)

Good luck!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use the black sport band for when I'm at work and during my off days, I switch to the white sport band. Not once have I ever gotten them stuck. Pushing the appropriate button releases the bands without a problem.

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Is the band upside down? That will cause it to stick. If so, you need to get the lugs away from the lock by trying to push the lugs upwards in the direction of the screen (so if the watch is flat, face up, push the lugs straight up as well)

If not, does the release button move when you push it in? What happens when you try to slide and push the button at the same time?
Don't use any tool to remove, if you can't get it out I believe an Apple Store can help you and won't affect warranty as you've done nothing to the device. :)

Good luck!

It's not upside down. Yes the release button moves as normal when I push it. When I slide and push the button goes in, but the adapter doesn't slide at all. It's like it's part of the watch.

I spoke with the guy at Arrow & Board, he said something about one of the pieces of rubber sticking out to far. Who knows. It slid on just like the other bands, but it's stuck like glue now.

I think i'll try the Apple store. Thanks for the input!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You can also try a bit of wd40. Spray it on a q-tip then dab that on the end of the band lug to let it seep in. Then try and get the band off.

You can also put the watch in the fridge for a little while to let the rubber on the lug shrink a bit then try to get it off.

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for those ideas. My watch is in the fridge right now ;)

I took it to the Genius Bar yesterday, and the guy determined the middle "pin" on the adapter is malfunctioning, and he suggested sending it off to have it "repaired", which according to him means replacing it. I'm not sure if he's correct on the failure, but it certainly could be.

Since I have Apple Care, he assumed it would be $69, but wasn't sure. Unfortunately, he also said I would lose the band that was attached, so I took it home to remove the band from the adapter before I send it off (I should have brought a band removal tool with me).

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
the guy determined the middle "pin" on the adapter is malfunctioning, and he suggested sending it off to have it "repaired", which according to him means replacing it. I'm not sure if he's correct on the failure, but it certainly could be.
That was my first thought when I read your OP.

The locating pin is 'spring loaded' by a rubber block that's compressed when you slide the lug into the Watch. This pushes the pin into the locating hole in the Watch. Pushing the Watch's release button presses the locating pin against the rubber backing block and out of the hole.

It sounds to me like the pin is indeed stuck. A mm would be far too much movement. I wouldn't leave the Watch in the freezer too long. I think it's likely to do more harm than good.

If it were me, I'd get a round tooth pick or sturdy plastic non-marring bit that's smaller than the release button. Then I'd put the Watch on a soft cloth on a firm surface with its release button parallel to the surface. Holding it so I could apply pressure on the edge of the band with my thumb, I'd press down straight down on the button with the NMB. This might allow me to push the pin clear and slide the band out.

It might be easier with the band in place and holding it while pressing the button, slide the Watch off the band.

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll try it. The freezer trick unfortunately didn't work. I have a return appointment at the Genius Bar for 4:00; I'm thinking I'll just send it back if this last attempt doesn't work.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I have to say you're admirably calm about this. i'm afraid I'd be livid with Arrow & Board if it were me. I assume they'll replace the defective band.

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I have to say you're admirably calm about this. i'm afraid I'd be livid with Arrow & Board if it were me. I assume they'll replace the defective band.

They've been very kind. Zack was very empathetic, and offered to replace the strap, or send out new adapters, my choice. He also offered to pay any repair costs that incur from the issue. It helps that the strap is fantastic. Probably the nicest aftermarket one I've come across.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
They've been very kind. Zack was very empathetic, and offered to replace the strap, or send out new adapters, my choice. He also offered to pay any repair costs that incur from the issue. It helps that the strap is fantastic. Probably the nicest aftermarket one I've come across.

That's awesome customer service!

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Phewww... good deal right there!

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to give everyone an update. I shipped the Watch to be "repaired" from the Apple Store. At that point, I had paid nothing, but was advised I would most likely have to pay an incident charge on my Apple Care+. On Friday, I got an email stating I needed to contact them, as repairs would be more than quoted. The email had a link, which when clicked revealed my options: Pay $599 for repairs (a new watch I assume), have the watch sent back to me un-repaired, or contact them to discuss. It also advised me I had voided my Apple Care+ and standard warranty with "unauthorized modifications".

After .5 seconds of thought, I selected the third option. I spoke with a very nice Senior Advisor named Tommy. After hearing my story, he stated that he would solve my issue, with no charge on my end. Whew! After research, he determined that he could not apply the no charge fix code (my term, not his) because the Apple Store had sent my Watch off. He called the Apple Store, attempted to get them to apply the code, and came back to me and said that my best bet was to do a priority exchange. I first request my Watch back. Then, I email Tommy, he puts a hold on my cc for $599, sends me a replacement Watch, and then I send my old one back. The hold drops off when they receive my old Watch.

So, I'm waiting for my Watch to come back, and then I'll email Tommy and we'll do the priority exchange. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the experience. Wish it hadn't of happened, nervous for 3rd party band usage in the future, but all-in-all a good experience ;)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
jmerrey said:
Wish it hadn't of happened, nervous for 3rd party band usage in the future, but all-in-all a good experience

That's the best possible result under the circumstances. Sometimes you can escalate an inquiry by asking for a different tier— Customer Care, I think, instead of Apple Care or Customer service. Doing so gets you to someone like Tommy instead of first-line screeners. If you could have done that before sending the Watch off, maybe it would have been an exchange at a local Apple Store.

Still, as you say, an over-all good experience.

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Glad you are getting your issues resolved...

This is one of the many reasons why I am an Apple band snob and only like to use the Apple bands on my watches ??????

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree, I'd much prefer to purchase an Apple band. I have the woven and leather loop to go with the stock rubber strap. But, I have a black SS Watch, and if I want a brown band that has matching lugs and buckle, it's after-market. No choice. If I had a choice, it would be Apple branded.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
jmerrey said:
But, I have a black SS Watch, and if I want a brown band that has matching lugs and buckle, it's after-market.

That's a risk we all take when going off res. So if/when we do, we try to make the best possible choice, hope for the best, and understand that it can go T/U.

Most of the third-party manufacturers have been surprisingly good, and that's great until it's not. It's a chance we take. Others don't.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm waiting for my Watch to come back, and then I'll email Tommy and we'll do the priority exchange. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the experience. Wish it hadn't of happened, nervous for 3rd party band usage in the future, but all-in-all a good experience ;)

Good news! Thanks for the update!!! :)

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Another update :(

So, I got the replacement watch, and in the instructions it indicated that the $599 hold on my cc would turn into a charge if they didn't receive the old watch by 4-21, or if they determined that the watch had been modified in any way. So, I emailed the Senior Advisor Tommy and asked him if the third party adapter would be considered modified. He did some research, and determined that I needed to take the Watch back to the Apple Store, have them take photos of it and email them to him, to show that it was Beyond Economic Repair.

After that was completed, Tommy emailed me back and said I should put the new Watch back in the box. He stated "I see some potential bumps in the road, and want to make sure that there’s no problems, especially with getting charged for the new watch."

At this point, I have no idea where I stand. I appreciate Tommy being thorough, but I will be very disappointing if, after all this, I'm out of luck. I would understand if I hadn't been forthcoming with the information that it was a third party strap/adapter. A bit frustrating. I'm not sure who is really interested at this point, but it's potentially a good lesson for those of us who use third party straps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro