Is there a performance difference when the  watch is paired to an older iPhone?

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
So my husband and I use our watches pretty much the same. Have the same set up and similar apps. The difference is his watch is synced to a 7, mine to a 5s. My watch always runs about 5-10% lower than his. Is this because my phone is older?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I really don't see how battery usage would be impacted that much by which iPhone your Apple Watch is paired to. I'm guessing it's simply a difference in usage and one or more of a hundred other things that impact battery life. The display tends to be the biggest battery drain on mobile devices. Is your brightness turned up higher than his? Do you get more notifications (i.e. more screen time and battery usage)? I could be wrong...who knows.

Are you running out of battery before the day is over? If not then I wouldn't worry about it too much. A 5-10% difference is negligible.

Last edited:

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
The watch is only connected via Bluetooth and any performance impact is based on usage and apps, everything is done in the watch, though it can be tweaked via the phone's watch app.

Your performance being lower most probably is due to the older Bluetooth chip in the 5s in which newer devices uses Bluetooth LE or Low Energy which is more power efficient.

In another note, read that the upcoming Bluetooth 5 will be even more power efficient and has 4 times more range than the current one.

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site
Are both Apple Watches the same size? My 42mm Apple Watch battery is bigger than my wife's 38mm Apple Watch and will cause battery differences. Also the amount of notifications and being outside in cold weather will kill the battery too.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I can't see how it would make a difference. Even if the 5s doesn't use Bluetooth LE, that would only make a difference to the battery life on the phone, not the Watch.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
My watch always runs about 5-10% lower than his. Is this because my phone is older?

I'm not so sure it is. BT LE usually makes the host device more efficient. This is why key fobs, property taggers, etc., use it— to provide long life on a battery or charge. I don't know how it would effect the battery life of a connected object. In this case the Watch is 4.0, same as the 5s. The 7, at 4.2 is backward compatible with 4.0 (and other BT protocols) so I wonder how it would imbue the Watch with better battery live. Great, if it does, I just don't see how.

So my husband and I use our watches pretty much the same. Have the same set up and similar apps.

"pretty much" isn't identical and could leave a fair amount of wiggle room, possibly as much as or more than BT 4.0 vs 4.2. So assuming you're getting a 7s for other reasons (remember, this is not a competition) don't be disappointed of you don't gain 5-10% in your Watch's battery life. If it does, that's a perk.

Regardless of that outcome, if telling your husband that a new phone will improve your Watch's battery life, gets you a 7s we'll back you up 100%. :)

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
My battery seems to be doing better today- however I think I turned off something to do with my standing ring setting. As it isn't working at all

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
however I think I turned off something to do with my standing ring setting. As it isn't working at all

Go to Watch app > My Watch > Activity > Stand Reminders. If it's On, try restarting the Watch and maybe your phone. If you're getting all your other Activity Alerts, Mute Reminders for Today should be Off.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro