Can the S1 be rinsed off in the shower???

BIG CAT 7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I am sure this has been addressed but I can't seem to find any info on it. I was just curious have any of you taken your AWS1 in the shower with you?

I just purchased my first AW on Sunday and worked out with it for the first time today and when I was done I wanted to take it in the shower with me just to quickly rinse it off but didn't. I just wiped it down with a damp cloth.

Anyone here have bad experience with water and your AWS1??

And yes before you answer I already know it says it isn't waterproof but I have seen instances where the original AW has been put in water and come out with no issues.. So I was just curious if this one was the same?? Please let me know, thanks.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't. Using your Watch in the rain or getting splashed on is one thing, but the shower is different. It has two things that can defeat the rubber gaskets protecting the Watch: high pressure water and extreme temperatures.

If you need to clean your Watch, use a damp (not soaking wet) soft cloth with lukewarm (not hot) water.

See also: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204522 and https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

BIG CAT 7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Shower with mine on. No issues.

Yeah I have heard of people doing it as well but only with the original. I really wouldn't keep it on the whole time though. Just to give it a quick rise and then dry it with a towel. I guess worst case I can just remove the band and wash it and then wipe the watch down with a damp cloth. Thanks for the replies!

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I have original AW for more than year now, and take shower with it almost every day, without any problems until now. Including I used it on a pool a couple of times too, and no problems, too. But it is the original one, I don't know about series 1.

Cheers,

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
And yes before you answer I already know it says it isn't waterproof but I have seen instances where the original AW has been put in water and come out with no issues.. So I was just curious if this one was the same?? Please let me know, thanks.

This is important. It's important to remember that your mileage may vary. There is an article on the front page of iMore today where Serenity talks about her husbands iPhone 7 suffering water damage after being submerged in water. Despite all of the videos and testimonies from people who have taken their phones swimming and taken underwater pictures. So although others haven't had issues...it would suck if you did.

Better safe than sorry. Personally...I wouldn't risk it.

lawrenmel

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
While entering a boat that was pulled up on the beach I accidentally slipped and fell in the water. Apple Watch 1 was in the water for about five seconds, wiped it on a towel and I've had no issues with it at all

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The Apple Watch S1 appears to have the same water resistance as the AW. Cook says he showers with his Watch, but truth be told, he wouldn't have much trouble getting a replacement if it were damaged.

The Sport bands make it especially easy to take it off, so I do.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
It's also worth noting that the effects of liquid damage on electronics usually doesn't show up immediately. It could take days or weeks for symptoms to appear as the metal on the components starts to corrode.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I showered daily with my original watch for a year. No harm done. Showering with my S1and so far so good, as always however, YMMV

Last edited:

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I have showered and gone swimming with my AW Original numerous times without issue. Many other times I have run it under water to rinse it off.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
The Series One is rated IPX7, which means it should be a little more than splash proof. Sweat, rain and dish or hand washing are fine, but maybe not the shower. In any case, Apple themselves recommand not exposing the watch to soaps, shampoos, etc, as those "may" degrade the water seals and membranes.

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000 for info.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Should does not necessarily mean "is". The Series 0 and Series 1 are supposed to be water resistant rated to IPx7 meaning it should take exposure in water up to 1m deep for thirty minutes. This however can depend on many things, such as temperature and other circumstances such as if it's been abused. There are a lot of different things that can effect the water resistance. I wouldn't be afraid if it got splashed or afraid to wipe it with a damp cloth, but I'll never chance taking it in the shower or swimming with it.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Should does not necessarily mean "is".
Which is why I emphasized "should" the way I did. :)

And if you read the specs on IPX7, you'll see that I actually undercut what it means. Officially, it's ~3 feet for ~30 minutes. Apple says "Splash proof, do not submerge".

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Apple seems to like to understate their products which I actually respect them for. A product performs better than they say it will instead of hyping it up then it underperforms.

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Lets also remember that apple's fix for a sticky or gritty feeling crown is to run it under water and spin it.

I'm sure it will be fine but know that you aren't covered if something happens so you are still rolling the dice.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW