Hey everyone,
    So the day that I'll buy my first Apple Watch is approaching. While I think it's a great device and it will help in a lot of things, I've been wondering if someone finds it a bit gimmicky or not that useful... I would use it mainly to handle notifications and read e-mails or control my phone's music and my smart lights.
    Thanks everyone
    sahmad88 and ReVu30 like this.
    11-20-2016 09:27 AM
    Odd choice for a subject line from someone who purports to think ' it's a great device and it will help in a lot of things'.

There will always be someone who finds anything 'useless', 'not very useful' or a 'gimmick'. If you do a search, you will find many, many threads on what people who have the Watch, think of it.
    11-20-2016 04:15 PM
    Odd choice for a subject line from someone who purports to think ' it's a great device and it will help in a lot of things'.

There will always be someone who finds anything 'useless', 'not very useful' or a 'gimmick'. If you do a search, you will find many, many threads on what people who have the Watch, think of it.
    Well I do find it's useful for what I've seen I'm sorry that I didn't express myself that clearly. What I wanted to know is if it indeed was useful or if it seemed useful. And I know I could find some topics, but most talk about fitness and that's not something I'm into. And perhaps since more time has passed people could have even a cleared opinion on it. Nevertheless thanks!
    11-20-2016 05:14 PM
    I'm kind of a geek when it comes to electronic device and all, but I find smart watches to be king of too much. I mean, the day I will find it too demanding to take my phone out of my pocket to check my text, I will get one lol.

On the other hand, if you run or exercise a lot, its a nice thing to track your activities.
    11-20-2016 06:59 PM
    I'm kind of a geek when it comes to electronic device and all, but I find smart watches to be king of too much. I mean, the day I will find it too demanding to take my phone out of my pocket to check my text, I will get one lol.

On the other hand, if you run or exercise a lot, its a nice thing to track your activities.
    It's also good for meetings. It's kind of rude to take your phone out when you're in a meeting or performing certain tasks at work or for your business. A quick glance at your wrist might actually be useful.
    11-20-2016 07:27 PM
    At first, it was worth it for me. Overtime, I can't be bothered wearing it anymore.
    nikkisharif and j rosado65 like this.
    11-20-2016 07:27 PM
    It's also good for meetings. It's kind of rude to take your phone out when you're in a meeting or performing certain tasks at work or for your business. A quick glance at your wrist might actually be useful.
    Good point yes.
    Maybe I'll get one after all, my girlfriend is always telling me to stop playing with my phone lol.
    Last edited by si001; 11-20-2016 at 09:01 PM.
    nikkisharif and j rosado65 like this.
    11-20-2016 08:04 PM
    Good point yes.
    Maybe I'll get one after all, my girlfriend is always telling me to playing with my phone lol.
    Lol...I tell my boyfriend the same thing
    j rosado65 likes this.
    11-20-2016 08:15 PM
    At first, it was worth it for me. Overtime, I can't be bothered wearing it anymore.
    This is my number one concern which has prevented me from taking the plunge. However every time I go into a Apple store I feel like I need one.
    j rosado65 likes this.
    11-20-2016 08:18 PM
    This is my number one concern which has prevented me from taking the plunge. However every time I go into a Apple store I feel like I need one.
    You can always get the Sports model.

I much prefer wearing an automatic watch.
    11-20-2016 08:27 PM
    When I say it saved my life, I am not exaggerating, the app HeartWatch warned me of my heart rate spiking at times up to 138bpm, I have heart disease, the hospital put a machine on to check and it collaborated what my watch was telling me and I am now going through further treatment. Yes it is useful.
    11-21-2016 03:28 AM
    Of cause it's "a bit gimmicky" that's its point!
    But if your into a bit gimmicky stuff, which I for example am, than it's really cool.
    j rosado65 likes this.
    11-21-2016 04:43 AM
    I think it is useful since ios 10 updated and you can use apple watch with your phone a lot more than before.
    Mac Guy and j rosado65 like this.
    11-21-2016 05:25 AM
    Many people rightfully find the Watch to be useless. For many folks it is useless. To find the Watch useful you have to have a specific use case or purpose in mind. For me, I receive so many notifications throughout the day that I prefer to have them on my wrist simply to avoid needing to pick up the phone all the time. I also benefit from Apple Pay and occasional phone call taken on my wrist. Overall, for me the Watch is worth it but I definitely would not recommend it to everyone. You need to have a use case.
    11-21-2016 09:38 AM
    All comes down to the user. I personally find it to be useless and gimmicky which is why I haven't purchased one. But it can also work out well for your needs.

Also, I actually received one as a gift and sold it right away.
    11-21-2016 01:49 PM
    Exactly. This is the Apple Watch forum. I'm going to guess the vast majority of the regulars here like their watch(s) very much.
    11-21-2016 05:43 PM

I don't run or exercise a lot but I love my watch. Notifications, instant glance at weather, tracking my water intake, seeing next meeting, etc. are all invaluable.

To the OP, if you don't need GPS, yes, the gen 1 watch is still a great buy and the pricing is even better than what those of us who got them last year paid
    11-22-2016 05:57 AM
    Over time I can't be bothered to NOT wear it. I miss it if I don't have it.
    Mac Guy likes this.
    11-22-2016 05:59 AM
    Over time I can't be bothered to NOT wear it. I miss it if I don't have it.
    robertk328 and j rosado65 like this.
    11-22-2016 08:24 AM
    very useful without a doubt, answer calls quickly from your wrist, read messages, emails,what more can a person want. dont sleep on convenience. hope that helped you.

i hope you came out of that episode with a positive, but yes the watch is amazing, thats a perfect example on why is important to have one.
    Last edited by firedept10; 11-22-2016 at 08:56 AM.
    11-22-2016 08:39 AM
    Alright guys, I read all your messages and I went to the Apple Store the other day to test it. I really got sold on the controlling music part, because that's the biggest reason I take my phone out of the pocket. Also the messages part as some of you pointed out seemed more useful than I thought. And the last one, even though I won't make much use of it during the whole year, is the fact that the Watch app from my airline company, sends real time notifications when the gates open, which for me is really useful, since last time I almost missed the plane thanks to being too distracted listening to music...
    Once again thanks guys for your feedback!!
    nikkisharif and SultanJazz like this.
    11-24-2016 01:25 PM
    To control the music....damn that's good too. I knew I should have stayed away from this post.
    i6splusguy and SultanJazz like this.
    11-24-2016 04:38 PM
    I use mine as a watch first and foremost. I almost get two full days with all notifications turned on so no problem using it as a capable digital watch. The fact that it's beautiful doesn't hurt either. I have the stainless steel one with Milanese loop. All other capabilities such as notifications, weather and health tracker are welcome extras for me. If you're like me, the go for it.
    robertk328 likes this.
    11-25-2016 04:26 AM
    I just got mine too for the first time. I still do have the same doubtful opinion as you, but since I have a pretty good Apple setup in my daily products, I have a pretty good reason to get one aside from getting it because I want a new time keeper rather than relying only on the phone. It will benefit me doing things such as notifications, music, messages, and (not important) unlocking my Mac. Other than that, I haven't really found it as a necessity. It's a companion device. It's nice to have. And being a heavy Apple user, it makes sense for me if I'm ever going to buy a watch, I would go for this one.
    robertk328 likes this.
    11-25-2016 10:53 PM
    I just got mine too for the first time. I still do have the same doubtful opinion as you, but since I have a pretty good Apple setup in my daily products, I have a pretty good reason to get one aside from getting it because I want a new time keeper rather than relying only on the phone. It will benefit me doing things such as notifications, music, messages, and (not important) unlocking my Mac. Other than that, I haven't really found it as a necessity. It's a companion device. It's nice to have. And being a heavy Apple user, it makes sense for me if I'm ever going to buy a watch, I would go for this one.
    It's not a necessity like the phone is not a necessity. But they're both great to have
    11-27-2016 10:21 AM
29 12