Tips for purchasing AW series 1 from private seller?

prettyfacejessy

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Good morning folks. Quick question I found a sweet deal off the app "offer up". Rose gold AW1 for $200. Seller is including all original accessories and box. The seller and I have being communicating back and forth and plan to meet up this weekend so i can view the watch in person. Other than obvious physical damage, Any tips on what I can look for as far as spotting a fake or is there any type of way to check for activation lock like how we can with other Apple devices?

TIA

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Set the Watch up while you're still together. That is the best and fastest way to see if the Watch is locked.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Make sure it's really a Series 1. I've noticed in the classifieds where I live people mistakenly think last year's watch is Series 1.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Make sure it's really a Series 1. I've noticed in the classifieds where I live people mistakenly think last year's watch is Series 1.

That's good advice and it makes me wonder how she will determine this. Does the watch app on the iPhone indicate it's an AW1? I know it says AW SS for my series O and Nike+ for the Nike+. So will it say AW Series 1?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
So will it say AW Series 1?

I doubt it. The Watch app doesn't say Series 2 for my S2.

Apple Watch
Aluminum (would it show 'Aluminium' in the UK?)
42mm Case

On the Watch there's Settings > General > Model.

Or, you could flip the Watch over and look at the back above the sensor and it should show 'Series 1'. My S2 shows 'Series 2'.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Or, you could flip the Watch over and look at the back above the sensor and it should show 'Series 1'. My S2 shows 'Series 2'.

Doh! Never thought about looking at the back. The back of my original says  Watch Stainless Steel and the Nike+ says  Watch Series 2 Nike (swoosh). So yeah, I bet the AW 1 says Series 1.

Last edited:

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
There's got to be a place online where you can put in the serial number and find out. There use to be something like that for iPads since they all looked alike.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Doh! Never thought about looking at the back.

LOL! That occurred to me only seconds before pushing the Reply button! I'd been resetting all my solar/radio watches that hadn't got any sun (or enough other light) since I got my first Watch. I had to look up the calibre number on the back for each to get the instruction manual.

prettyfacejessy

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys just to give you an update I bought an AW series 1 from target. They had a sale on Black Friday for the 38mm for 189.00 i hopped on it and got my purchase today in the mail. Buying second hand just gave me too much anxiety....I'm glad I waited a few days ! :)

iMoreAppImg_20161201_184829.jpg

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
i hopped on it and got my purchase today in the mail. Buying second hand just gave me too much anxiety.

Good move. I'd probably have done the same thing. If something goes wrong with the Watch it's much easier to just take it back to the store or Apple with no worries.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys just to give you an update I bought an AW series 1 from target. They had a sale on Black Friday for the 38mm for 189.00 i hopped on it and got my purchase today in the mail. Buying second hand just gave me too much anxiety....I'm glad I waited a few days ! :)]

Wise choice and that's a good looking watch! Congrats!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner