Is it worth buying 1Gen at $200?

Xterror

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find the thread. Is it worth buying 1Gen at $200? I don't need GPS or Waterproof, is that alone worth saving $200? I have never played with one, so I don't know if WatchOS3 made as much as a difference as I hear.

Thanks

Xterror

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I want to get one but not ready to spend $400 yet. See 1st gen at best buy for $219 and that's easier to pull the trigger on.

anon(5971985)

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I am in the same position.

My concern would be over battery life.

I do not need a S2, so does anyone know if S1 and 1st Gen battery is the same? Or is S1 better for battery life?

My budget goes to about the price of a used 1st gen, but I'd hate to get it and find out later that I'd have been better off saving more for a S1.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
It's a little slow in a couple of evolutions even with wOS3 but I think it's well worth $200. I just switched from my Apple Watch S2 back to my to Apple Watch Stainless. In daily use, I don't notice the slower speed.

The utility of the Apple Watch far outweighs the slower performance. Check some YouTube videos comparing the AW to the AWS2 and you'll see the speed increase is not dramatic once wOS3 is installed.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I love my series 0 Apple Watch. Yes, there's some points where it's a bit slow, but I haven't really been bothered by it. I got it with WatchOS 3 already so I can't compare it to previous builds.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I've been using the first gen AW until now and even with OS 3, batt life is still good (or even slightly better compared to OS 2) and I can last 2 days with one charge, taking into account wearing to the office on regular office hours.

I don't swim with any watch and GPs wise, it's not what I expected too so purchasing the Series 2 is a waste of money to me, unless you really need that little extra speed boost on processor speed. Else, the original AW is very much usable till now.

garyf33

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Also looking at buying my first apple watch, is the brightness of the display that much of a difference on the series 2 then on series 1?

jaleesag88

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat but then I figured what is $70 more to have the newest Watch when I'm planning on keeping it long term. In the end I talked myself into series 2 once I factored in the price of the nylon band I wanted to buy as well. It was a long complicated thought process and it ended up being my anniversary present in the end.

But in the beginning I was going to get series 1 because it was only $70 more than the prices of the used series 0. It made sense in my mind.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Also looking at buying my first apple watch, is the brightness of the display that much of a difference on the series 2 then on series 1?

I don't see much difference at all between the Apple Watch and AWS2. Maybe it's the inverse-square law of light, but 1000nits vs 450nit just doesn't give me a visual display that appears 'twice' as bright.

The 2x brightness was the main reason I bought an AWS2 and I was disappointed in the difference, or significant lack of it. I would say do not buy an S2 for the increased brightness. View it as a slight perk. If you don't swim or run, the S2 doesn't have much to offer over an S1 or even the Apple Watch (with wOS3 loaded).

An Nth degree person will appreciate the S2, but for a lot of people the ROI won't be worth it.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I figured what is $70 more to have the newest Watch when I'm planning on keeping it long term.

I think future-proofing is a good reason if you want to keep up with OS updates. I do occasionally see and appreciate the increased processor speed. Syncing a playlist is much faster on the AWS2 than the AW.

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I think I'll be sticking with my original AW, I don't need the GPS as I always have the phone with me. As for the waterproofing, I've got a dive watch for when i swim etc.

That's not to say that I don't want the new one, more that it's just not a significant enough advancement at this point.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
For those with the original I can see why they wouldn't upgrade. But if you're just getting into the Apple Watch I'd recommend at least the series one. You're getting equal processing power and battery life to series 2.

anon(5971985)

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Have you been able to compare Series 0 and Series 1 battery life at all? That's my main concern. If Series 0 and Series 1 give same battery life, Series 0 would probably do me fine.

Xterror

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
After reading all these it's making more sense to save up the extra $70 for The series 1 for future proofing. Thx for all the input!

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I had a Series 0 for months and I would need to charge my watch every night. That was with OS2 though. Never had the watch when OS3 came out. I do have Series 1 watch now and battery seems to be double of my old watch. Charge every 2 days

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I agree OS 3 is the game changer. What I really want is the sapphire face and back so I bought a series 0 on EBay with another year of AppleCare Plus for just $300. With the sale of my Sport, it was a cheap upgrade.