Stainless steel scratching like crazy!

btru82

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
So I received my Apple Watch 2 stainless steel silver on Tuesday. I wore it all day Wednesday Thursday and Friday and work in an office with very minimal risk of impact on the watch. I am very protective of my stuff and despite all of that it has a ton of scratches all over the stainless steel casing. I knew it was more of a risk with the stainless vs the aluminum but this is unacceptable imho. I am completely frustrated how easy it scratches and dead set on returning it to Best Buy.

I now plan on buying the aluminum space black instead after seeing a few friends/family members with that one.

Question is, even though I am well within my return period with what best buy (elite member) qualifies for, does anyone have experience with their returns and will the case scratches be an issue?

Thanks

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have had the stainless for a year and probably should polish it, but at 43 I can't see the minor surface marks unless I hold the watch a few inches from my face (and take out my contacts or take my glasses off).

I'm willing to bet yours is similar, so I would be surprised if the store doesn't take it back. Keep in mind the aluminum watch is an anodized finish, meaning the space gray color can scratch off. If you want the space BLACK, that would be another stainless steel (space black stainless) but it also cannot be polished. From what I've read, that finish is more durable than the sport/aluminum models. YMMV as always.

btru82

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I have had the stainless for a year and probably should polish it, but at 43 I can't see the minor surface marks unless I hold the watch a few inches from my face (and take out my contacts or take my glasses off).

I'm willing to bet yours is similar, so I would be surprised if the store doesn't take it back. Keep in mind the aluminum watch is an anodized finish, meaning the space gray color can scratch off. If you want the space BLACK, that would be another stainless steel (space black stainless) but it also cannot be polished. From what I've read, that finish is more durable than the sport/aluminum models. YMMV as always.

Thanks

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Have to say, I'm really surprised by this. After 15 months I don't have a single scratch on my space black stainless steel. Maybe I'm babying it or like Robert I just can't see it.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Have to say, I'm really surprised by this. After 15 months I don't have a single scratch on my space black stainless steel. Maybe I'm babying it or like Robert I just can't see it.

The surface/finish of the space black stainless will react differently than the regular stainless, which does show micro scratches. They can be buffed out, however. Cape Cod wipes will do the trick!

btru82

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
The problem is I had 2 substantial nicks which I couldn't fathom because it only left my wrist to charge over night and I too felt like I was over the top careful. It was really disappointing and that's why I ultimately decided to go for the cheaper aluminum bc then I would worry less because it cost less, although I'll still probably obsess over it. Btw Best Buy took it back no questions asked.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The problem is I had 2 substantial nicks which I couldn't fathom because it only left my wrist to charge over night and I too felt like I was over the top careful. It was really disappointing and that's why I ultimately decided to go for the cheaper aluminum bc then I would worry less because it cost less, although I'll still probably obsess over it. Btw Best Buy took it back no questions asked.

Odd.

I've not been overly careful with mine (though I am careful) and have no nicks. I do have one spot I see now on the bottom edge (between the screen and band) that may need a polish but I only see it based on how my hands are on the keyboard and the single light that's on to my right. I'll get the Cape Cod wipes out today :)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The problem is I had 2 substantial nicks which I couldn't fathom because it only left my wrist to charge over night and I too felt like I was over the top careful.

But the reality is the Watch doesn't nick itself. Most likely you bumped it against something while moving about.

The Aluminum Watches will nick and dent more easily but they won't get or show light superficial scratches nearly as easily as the stainless.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2