Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By malt1977
  • 1 Post By eyecrispy
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Default Apple Watch as fitness tracker

I've debated getting the Apple Watch for some time now. I'm really looking for a water that allows smart features as well as a good fitness tracker as well.

If you workout with your AW do you find the HRM in the Watch to be accurate?

Default Re: Apple Watch as fitness tracker

It's been awhile since I've worked out, but when I was exercising regularly, the Watch was accurate for the type of exercising I was doing. Anyway, I hope others will respond soon. Take care and enjoy your weekend...
    iMore Nanite

Unfortunately, the HRM in Applewatch 1 can be wildly inaccurate. However, the step counter is accurate and can be used to track how far you have run, how long a session is and keep a record of it. The HRM often shows a multiple of the HR, sometimes X 0.5, sometimes X2

It's not very accurate. I've been somewhat injured so yesterday, I went to the gym and used the recumbent elliptical. My heart rate never gets elevated on that thing. But yesterday, my AW said my HR was in the 180s and 190s. There is no way!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

I guess there is a few factors that affect the accuracy of the HRM such as how tight the watch is on the wrist etc.

On the whole I've found mine to be accurate enough and gives similar readings to my Polar HRM with chest strap. Having been a competitive cyclist for many years I've got a good idea of what my heart rate should be given the intensity of certain work outs, and to be perfectly honest, it's close enough for me.
    jennfree likes this.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by malt1977 View Post
    I guess there is a few factors that affect the accuracy of the HRM such as how tight the watch is on the wrist etc.

On the whole I've found mine to be accurate enough and gives similar readings to my Polar HRM with chest strap. Having been a competitive cyclist for many years I've got a good idea of what my heart rate should be given the intensity of certain work outs, and to be perfectly honest, it's close enough for me.
    I have a polar HRM as well so I'm used to getting that accurate rate. I'm just trying to find something else to stop wearing it. Can be a pain sometimes.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

I have the original Apple Watch(not upgraded series 1) and I find the hrm to be quite accurate especially when comparing it with similar workouts and twice wearing the polar sensor giving me the same readings as my watch. I find confidence in its features.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StayClassy101 View Post
    I have the original Apple Watch(not upgraded series 1) and I find the hrm to be quite accurate especially when comparing it with similar workouts and twice wearing the polar sensor giving me the same readings as my watch. I find confidence in its features.
    So you are able to pair the HRM to the Apple Watch?
    iMore Intermediate

I don't know if the HRM is accurate by it seems to be fairly consistent on my runs. Where it does appear to be pretty accurate is resting heart rate - whenever I check that, I get what is pretty close to what I know it should be.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luv4u859 View Post
    So you are able to pair the HRM to the Apple Watch?
    No. I've used both my.polar and.apple watch during workouts to find both consistent with the other reading
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StayClassy101 View Post
    No. I've used both my.polar and.apple watch during workouts to find both consistent with the other reading
    Gotcha. I've read online that you can pair the polar H7 to the Apple Watch. It's in stock at a target near me so I'm debating going to get it today.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

I use an H7 with my watch and the Strava app all of the time. Works great.
    iMore Newbie

It's very accurate if you use it right. I found that when doing a rigorous work out I need to tighten the strap one notch tighter than I normally wear it. The Cleveland Clinic just did a study and rated the Apple Watch as the most accurate wrist wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post
    It's very accurate if you use it right. I found that when doing a rigorous work out I need to tighten the strap one notch tighter than I normally wear it. The Cleveland Clinic just did a study and rated the Apple Watch as the most accurate wrist wearable.
    Is there an article published by the Cleveland Clinic?
    mumfoau likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    305 Global Posts

I believe the HRM is fairly accurate in most situations however I didn't have much to compare to other than the MS Band I used to have. When I compared them, they were mostly in sync. I don't think any activity tracker is truly accurate in terms of calorie counts, steps, and other readings. I know my Watch has counted steps while I'm sitting in a car. They are intended to be used as guides and inspiration more than absolute information. With that in mind, they can be and have been useful in tracking health.
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    Is there an article published by the Cleveland Clinic?
    I can't find a link to their original study but there are many stories citing the study. Here is one
    https://www.wareable.com/apple/apple...onitoring-3357
    iMore Newbie

Thanks everyone for sharing. I use fitness trackers in education. While I don't have an Apple Watch, I do have kids use them in school and ask me about them. I appreciate all the feedback everyone mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post
    I can't find a link to their original study but there are many stories citing the study. Here is one
    https://www.wareable.com/apple/apple...onitoring-3357
    Thanks. I haven't run with my Nike+ AW bc of injury, but i actually think it's measuring my HR too high. For example, I used a recumbent elliptical the last few days since i can't run and it was saying my HR was in the high 150s-160s. That's about what I run when I'm doing a run at a pretty good clip. I definitely did not FEEL like my heart was going that hard. From previous times when I've used this machine, my HR should be in the low 100s.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that it's more accurate than my Fitbit Surge. I'll keep using it and testing it, but I feel like it measure my HR kind of high.
    iMore Newbie

Thanks for sharing your information. Reading what you posted and being a personal trainer, you are correct to assume 150-160 being on the high range. That is good to know. Although I don't own an Apple Watch, I was curious to hear their reliability.
    iMore Newbie

I don't know about the Apple Watch, but my buddy tested the Fitbit Charge 2 against his Garmin watch with a chest strap HR monitor.
    The Fitbit wasn't as consistent as the chest strap, but over the course of a workout the average HR from the Fitbit was about the same as the Garmin.