Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tcuprof
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Default New Apple Watch owner

Just got my rose gold watch. Glad I went with the bigger model, it looks great. However I'm having problems with creating new text messages and finding contacts. Can anybody direct me to a good new tutorial on getting around on this thing.
    iMore Intermediate

Default Re: New Apple Watch owner

Here is the guide from Apple.com http://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd920c18146

I haven't read through the entire document, but hopefully you will find it useful.
    iMore Pro

One of the problems with wOS3 is the lack of a Contacts or Favorites app for the Watch.

You can respond to a text from the Messages app received on the phone.. I let it live in the Dock to keep it handy. I use Siri to start a text from the Watch. This isn't always convenient, especially of you want to be covert.

I don't know of any other way. I want to see a Favorites app. Maybe on a future update.

Here's the iBooks version of the AWUG: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id9...mUvbUpU2829169
    Last edited by Mac Guy; 10-06-2016 at 09:08 PM.
    iMore Pro

What Apple says:

Send a new message. Open Messages Messages icon, firmly press the list of conversations, then tap New Message. Tap Add Contact, then tap a contact in the list of recent conversations that appears, tap + in the bottom left to choose from your full list of contacts, or tap the Microphone button to search for someone in your contacts or to dictate a phone number.
    Not the most elegant of executions. It makes using Siri pretty convenient. I still want a Favorites app on the Watch! Pin it to the Dock, open, scroll through a list of Favs, send, done. All on the DL.
    iMore Intermediate

What a pain. It took me three tries to follow Apple's instructions. Much easier to just pull out my phone.
    gagatronics likes this.
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tcuprof View Post
    What a pain. It took me three tries to follow Apple's instructions. Much easier to just pull out my phone.
    Yep. Apple needs to work on that. I've already sent a request via Feedback for a Favorites app for the Watch.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Nanite

Seems like only way other than Siri to start new text is going thru phone and then contacts.. not so bad
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Guy View Post
    One of the problems with wOS3 is the lack of a Contacts or Favorites app for the Watch.

You can respond to a text from the Messages app received on the phone.. I let it live in the Dock to keep it handy. I use Siri to start a text from the Watch. This isn't always convenient, especially of you want to be covert.

I don't know of any other way. I want to see a Favorites app. Maybe on a future update.
    When you are in the the Message app on the watch you just need to do a hard press and then select new message.

The new message screen opens and has an Add Contact field. Select that and you can click the icon to access your contact list.

Maybe not the most elegant, but the contact list is accessible.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Nanite

Ohhh thanks!