Is the Apple Watch worth it?

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I love my new (to me) Apple Watch! I decided having quick access to notifications was more useful at the moment then getting an iPad (shhhh - don't tell anyone I'm posting from a Samsung tablet). I'll wait until new iPads are announced next year.

So far the watch is working great. I do see where a series 1 or 2 would be useful from a performance perspective, but this series 0 watch is still great for me.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'll wait until new iPads are announced next year.

There'll likely be new iPads announced this month- iPad Air 3/Pro, iPad Mini 5/Pro (all rumors of course) unless you're wanting to wait until the next go round, next year. It does cut the wallet or plastic some slack.

I do see where a series 1 or 2 would be useful from a performance perspective, but this series 0 watch is still great for me.

The Apple Watch, with wOS3, is great for a lot of people. This was a master stroke on Apple's part. Apple won't give sales figures on the Watches much less a breakdown of the individual models. The resale value of those Watches has plummeted (not that it was great to begin with) but it's still a solid value for a lot of people.

I think the increased performance of the S1 and S2 won't really be noticeable until we see newer, more demanding wOSs.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
There'll likely be new iPads announced this month- iPad Air 3/Pro, iPad Mini 5/Pro (all rumors of course) unless you're wanting to wait until the next go round, next year. It does cut the wallet or plastic some slack.
Looking for that to be able to upgrade my Mini 1 to Mini 4 for a good deal :)

I get way more value day-to-day out of my watch than I do my iPad (but I do have a MBP too). To me it has more utility. @Devhux you did the right thing IMO.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Personally I find much better value in the 1st generation and the series 1. I use a watch for a watch for time and the notifications are a added perk. Ive had both a series 1 and a 1st generation cannot tell a difference between the 2. A series 2 I don't see the added cost being worth it for me. GPS and water resistant don't plan on using a watch to track my workouts. And I don't plan on going swimming with a 500 dollar watch. So with that said the 1st gen SS watch has the best value for me. If you need a better processor on paper then a series 1 is the way to go. Hope this helps

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Looking for that to be able to upgrade my Mini 1 to Mini 4 for a good deal :)
Same here. My iPad mini 1 couldn't update to iOS 10 & it's kinda buggin me lol. I will be looking for a certified refurb from Apple as well for a wifi mini 3 or 4.

I get way more value day-to-day out of my watch than I do my iPad (but I do have a MBP too). To me it has more utility. @Devhux you did the right thing IMO.

Omg same here. I really don't know how I managed without my watch prior to having it ! I feel kinda lost when it has to take an hour down to charge....my phone will alert me to a text, email, whatever, and I look at my wrist like why didn't my watch go off lmao then I realize OH! It's charging !!

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I've heard not until the Spring, and that's what I was basing things on. Otherwise I'll probably get an iPad around Christmas or so.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I just got my S2 today, and may were it solely, for a couple of weeks, then switch back to see if I notice any lag with my Watches. That might be more telling. I have no immediate plans for the GPS, but that can change.

I'd like a Space Black Stainless Steel but it's only available as an S2, it'll be awhile before I consider another Watch. If it could be had as an S1, it would definitely be in the mix. This leaves me an excuse to get a Tier 2 band or two- the Brown Classic Buckle, and maybe a Black Milanese Loop.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
You're looking at this all wrong. You should get a new Apple Watch BECAUSE you bought a new iPhone and a new iPad. It's important to keep all your Apple products on the same purchase cycle. Otherwise knowing when to upgrade becomes a burden. :devil:

I like the way you think!!

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a Snickers bar at my local grocery store today with my apple watch. My first time using Apple Pay. Another good reason why Apple Watch is worth it for me.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I. Love. Apple Pay !!

Me too! I used it recently, and over a year and a half later, people are still amazed when I used it. Everybody seems to be used to having customers pay with phones, but not with our Watches. I can't use my 5s but I can use the Watch without the phone. I Love Apple Pay.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Me too! I used it recently, and over a year and a half later, people are still amazed when I used it. Everybody seems to be used to having customers pay with phones, but not with our Watches. I can't use my 5s but I can use the Watch without the phone. I Love Apple Pay.

Yes ! When I use it, I get people saying "oh wow that's cool" or "omg your paying off of a watch"

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I think the first time I tried a Pei Wei was because they had sign that said they took Apple Pay.

That'd get my attention. If I left right now I cold be to the closest Pei Wei in about 5hr45min (traffic is light). Or SFO to LAX to Pei Wei in 1hr45min. A ways to go for Chinese.

Sean Brennan

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't do any fitness tracking at all. I could careless about the fitness aspects of the watch and yet, I found it extremely useful just for received texts alone. I can receive and send back messages without ever reaching for the phone...if you wear watches than the Apple Watch is worth 299 even if you just want it to tell time..after all most people spent much more than that years ago and all it did was tell time..

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
One thing that I have found about the Apple Watch is that there are a million things that it can do, but most people are going to try to use just a handful of them. The features that you do use most people will love and come to rely on.

For me it is messages first. I absolutely love getting and sending messages via the watch. It really works the way messages should be. Short and right to the point. Now with the newest update, you can send many more types of cute messages making it that much better.

The activity tracker is also something that I rely on. I love counting my step and getting that reminder to "stand-up" every hour if I don't. When I go for a run or hike, I can track my progress easily and very clearly.

I think that the battery is also very good. I charge it next to my bed every night and it usually has about 40% left. There have been a few days that I have run it down to almost empty but have never been stuck with a dead watch. It also charges quickly. If I forget to charge it and I notice it when I wake up, I throw it on the charger while I shower and shave and by the time I am done and have my coffee, I am good to go for the day.

Also, with so many bands to choose from, you can switch from a rubber band for exercise to a leather band for going out at night, to something totally different for work. Amazon has tons of bands for VERY short money. Some you couldn't tell the difference from the originals and some are kind of cheap, but for the price, it is worth the shot.

When I need my Apple fix, I will treat myself to a new band from the Apple store. My watch is a very engrained to my life now and couldn't see myself moving to a different brand. I have the original version and have had it since launch

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2