Is the Apple Watch worth it?

Pat F2

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking of getting an Apple Watch and was just wondering if you all find it worth it to get one? Do you find yourself on the watch more than the phone?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: General question

Welcome to iMore, Pat! I'm not on my Apple Watch nearly as much as my iPhone but that's not how it's designed. The watch is a companion, not a replacement. That being said, I feel that the convenience and additional functionality that my Apple Watch offers makes it a worthy purchase.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of getting an Apple Watch and was just wondering if you all find it worth it to get one? Do you find yourself on the watch more than the phone?

It is an excellent fitness tracker, if that's your thing. For me, it is worth it for the fitness tracking alone. The other features are 'sauce for the goose', as Mister Spock once said.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't feel the series 0 AW is worth it, personally. It's a nice device and I like it but for the price, it was meh. I think I will like the series 2 much better.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
worth it to get one?

Broad, general, opinion oriented questions like this have no one or simple answer, and unless someone knows you very well, can't be answered for you. Ask a 100 different people and you'll get 100 answers, 10 of which may be useful. As such, they're not not a good question to ask.

Bone up on the Watches' various features, and as others what they do with it, what they like, and what they don't like. When someone offers an opinion, find out if they actually own and use the Watch. Facts can be fact-checked. Opinions, maybe, mostly not.

That said. at this point a Watch needs an iPhone for most of it's functionality. It's principal job is to lessen the reliance on your phone, even while needing it. A Watch must be paired to a phone. Aside from that, there are a few function the Watch can do while leaving the phone at home. With the exception a very, very few scenarios, there is nothing the Watch can do that the phone can't. The opposite isn't true.

All that said, after a year and a half, I still use my Apple Watches* daily, several times a day, at the expense of leaving some nice mechanical, 'dumb' watches to languish in a drawer. Maybe in another several months I'll give it a rest on a weekend day. Maybe.

My main uses are time, notifications, and messages. I can view and respond to these without ever taking my phone out of my pocket. I also use the Workout app for walks, an app to check my bike's tire pressures, the Breath app, and the Timer app. At home (or anywhere else), as long as the Watch sees a network that has been previously joined with my iPhone, I can use the Watch without having the phone on me. I always have my Watch on me.

How you use your phone and a watch, will determine if it's 'worth it' to you.

If you can find an Apple Watch (not Series 1 or 2) around the $200 mark, watchOS 3 could be all you need or want. It certainly is for many members here. Lots of people are trying to sell theirs to get an S1 or S2.

Good hunting.

*Apple Watch is the Watch typically referred to in lay terms as the original, Gen 1, or Series 0 Watch. I prefer Apple's terminology as it's what you'll find when scouring their site.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I don't use mine for phone calls, but I do respond to an occasional text. Mostly notifications, logging an entry into Waterminder, etc. The phone is still necessary but the watch is a great extension for it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As I've stated on numerous occasions, the Watch can be worth it if you know the following:
1. It is a watch first and foremost
2. It is excellent with regard to notifications.
3. It's a decent fitness device, but it's not a perfect one.
4. It's excellent with dictation and map directions
5. It is NOT a replacement for your iPhone, but it is an excellent iPhone companion.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hubby got my Watch for me in July as an early bday gift. I knew a new watch would be released a couple of months thereafter but that didn't bother me. I tucked away my rosegold MK watch and this one now has my heart. I don't know how I functioned without it previously lol. Like others have said, it does NOT replace your iPhone, rather it is an extension to be more productive with certain features the watch has. I use mine for messages, timers, alarms and to see what emails come in. My weather pops up as well.

Depending on your needs/wants only you can really answer the question if the watch is worth the purchase for yourself. If I had to give an answer, it would be yes, without a doubt.

Just to add, I only take a call if my phone is out of reach because the speaker is difficult to hear to me...I have hearing loss in my left ear.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I think I've used it twice... comes in handy but not using it as a main feature.

Same here. Used it 2-3 times to take calls in a pinch when I couldn't get to my phone. It serves its purpose, but I wouldn't have a long heart to heart convo on it.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I think I've used it twice... comes in handy but not using it as a main feature.

Me too. When wearing a bunch of layers of clothes or the phone is in a jacket pocket on a chair in the other room or whatever, taking a call on the Watch to say "Hang on, let me get to my phone..." has come in handy more often than I would have guessed. I've even conducted an entire (SHORT) conversation on a received call when it was quicker than getting at my phone. I might do this more frequently with the S2's improved speaker.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site

I love my Apple Watch and I am trying to convince myself to get the new one.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Me too. When wearing a bunch of layers of clothes or the phone is in a jacket pocket on a chair in the other room or whatever, taking a call on the Watch to say "Hang on, let me get to my phone..." has come in handy more often than I would have guessed. I've even conducted an entire (SHORT) conversation on a received call when it was quicker than getting at my phone. I might do this more frequently with the S2's improved speaker.

I love it when I am in the gym playing Racquetball and I get a call, I answer it on my wrist and do't have to stop playing

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
An iPhone 7 Plus and a 12.9" iPad Pro, both within the last month, mean no Watch Series 2 for me!

You're looking at this all wrong. You should get a new Apple Watch BECAUSE you bought a new iPhone and a new iPad. It's important to keep all your Apple products on the same purchase cycle. Otherwise knowing when to upgrade becomes a burden. :devil:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You're looking at this all wrong. You should get a new Apple Watch BECAUSE you bought a new iPhone and a new iPad. It's important to keep all your Apple products on the same purchase cycle. Otherwise knowing when to upgrade becomes a burden. :devil:

I like your approach, but my checking account (and my wife) might disagree.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I like your approach, but my checking account (and my wife) might disagree.

My wife gave the biggest eye roll when she saw my wrist. I understand what you mean, lol. My Pro was purchased earlier this year so when the 7 Plus came around she didn't really blink. (Plus she got a 7 out of it too) But when I came in with the watch...yea...lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73