Question about the Dock, versus how it used to be.

jblank

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded to Watch OS 3.0 and was using a few apps today when I noticed something a lot different. Used to be, when I opened up an app, like Overcast, for instance, after I hit play and the podcast started playing, the next time I looked at my watch, it would be back at the main screen. Now, it seems like whatever you were in, it stays active on the watch face, until you hit the crown. That seems very awkward, so I would like to know if there is a way to automatically have it go back to the watch face, rather than leaving the Dock app open.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope. It's just like the iPhone. Whatever was displayed last, will be displayed when you wake the device.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Crap. That's a step backwards.

Yes, for some people. This new method works for people who frequently access the same app several times.

so I would like to know if there is a way to automatically have it go back to the watch face, rather than leaving the Dock app open.

It looks like the closest you can get is 8min:

First go to Apple Watch app > General > Wake Screen and scroll down to On Screen Wake Show Last App and see what's checked. I've got Within 8 Minutes of Last Use checked. So I presume that after 8 minutes the Wake Screen will show the time instead of the last app.

It looks like the default is to eventually (however long that is) go back to the Time. The options just determine how long the Watch will wake up with the last app displayed. I'd like a 30sec option. I don't remember what they were in wOS 2.2.

anon(9343851)

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
In watchOS 1 & 2, the options for “On Screen Wake Show…” Last App Used and Clock Face (or something like that). The exact equivalents in watchOS 3 are, respectively, Always and While In Session. If you had previously selected Last App Used like I did, watchOS 3 switched you to Within 8 Minutes of Last Use.

jblank

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the replies gentlemen, but I have to say, this is a poor decision on Apple's part. It's still a watch first and if I'm listening to a podcast, but want to glance at the watch and set a quick timer, now, I have to press buttons, whereas before, I could just tap the complication on the watch face. They've literally made the watch less efficient.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73