Anybody using their watch for serious fitness tracking?

Papajin

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I'm considering picking up the original watch since they're going for fairly cheap right now -- My requirements however are for a device that can handle at least semi-serious workout tracking, steps, estimated calorie burn, and notifications at minimum.

I'm currently using a Garmin Vivosmart (which is having display issues) and use a Scosche Rhythm+ to record heart rate during workouts since the Vivosmart doesn't have a HR monitor. My workouts generally consist of Cardio, Weight Training, and stretching and some involve a fair amount of jumping around which optical HRM's seem to have some difficulty with.

Is there anybody out there using their watch for at least semi-serious workout tracking and do you feel that it's working well for that purpose? If so, what app or apps are you using besides Health if any?

Would I be better off waiting for the Watch 2 for the GPS and waterproofing? I don't currently run or swim, but might like to add 1 or both to my routine in the future.

Just trying to get a feel for whether or not the Apple Watch 1 or 2 is ready for prime time as a fitness tracking device or if I'd be better off going with a device more geared toward fitness tracking with some smartwatch functionality vs. a smartwatch with some fitness tracking capabilities.

Thanks!

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey Papajin, i currently use my Apple Watch for fitness tracking and who doesn't appreciate the notifications at a glance. First of, i love the Apple Watch for tracking my runs, both outdoors and treadmill running. The Apple Watch comes with an Activity app that shows you the calories burn, steps taken, the times you been more active throughout the day. You can set the app to prompt you to get up every hour if you sit a lot maybe at work.

It also comes with a Workout app that you can turn on to track your running both indoor and outdoors, cycling indoors and outdoors, elliptical, rower, stair stepper, and "other". I can't say i've tried them all, but the running both indoors and outdoors works great, the walk, and i use "other" when I'm playing sports. The HR sensor is on throughout the workout which will be displayed on your screen now with the new Watch OS3, at the end of the work out it will give you your avg HR along other information about the workout.

I love that now with the Watch OS3 you can compete with other friends that have Apple watch to see who burned more calories than the other one, or who ran more or what not, which is fun to help you push harder in your workouts to beat your friends or just motivation to get up and do some exercises.

And you can wear it all day, tracking all your movements for steps and calories burned, and the notifications are great when you can't be on your phone, from answering msgs, to checking Instagram.

I personally love this Watch, you can personalize the watch face how you want it, and i currently own the first Apple Watch and with watch OS3 it works better than before. And I've seen it being offered for about $200, for all those features its a great fitness tracker/watch. BTW you can also download 3rd party workout apps, but some might require the iPhone to be near for full functionality.

Papajin

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi Ariza,

Thanks very much for the response. My fiance owns a Watch 1 which I'm going to see if I can test out during my workout tonight -- that is if I can pry it off her wrist... She's very protective of it. I have an iPhone SE, so not a huge deal if I need to have the phone with me, but it'd be even better if I could track everything I want without needing it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi Ariza,

My fiance owns a Watch 1 which I'm going to see if I can test out during my workout tonight -- that is if I can pry it off her wrist... She's very protective of it.

You might be able to persuade me. Depends how nicely you ask. ;)

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I was asked to come and provide my feedback as an avid and serious exercise enthusiast :) Hi Sherry ;)

I have had my Apple Watch Series 0 since it was launched and have used it to track every single workout since. Almost 500 of them :). I train heavily with weights, run, bike and do all sorts of mobility work, even yoga. I jump rope like a fiend and dabble in some of the crazy CrossFit stuff.

The Apple Watch is a great fitness companion, but it will not give you 100% accurate heart rate information. Since you have the Scosche Rhythm+ getting your HR from your wrist, you know that unless you use a dedicated chest strap you wont get accurate HR, but the aplw is good enough for most aspects of fitness. If you really want a better solution you can pair a BT chest strap to the aplw and get really good quantification of your HR.

It does a pretty decent job at tracking steps as long as you do the 20 minute outdoor walk calibration. I am no longer into step tracking as it is a poor measure of fitness. But I still look to see how many steps I get each day. As for calorie burn during activity, it uses your health data for weight and the HR information to calculate your estimated calorie burn. And like step tracking calculating calorie burn into my nutrition tracking is not something I do anymore. I did for a long time, but again it is not an accurate way to keep your calories in check since the rest of the day has more to do with your overall calorie burn than your hour workout.

What I like is it gives me access to my music while I train, and quick glances to my notifications from my phone. I don't like t stop training to check a text, but if I see it is something important I am able too.

As for apps that I use, on the aplw, I only use the stock workout app, and with the updates in watchOS3 it is perfect. I use a few apps on the iPhone though. Not sure if that is something you want to know about but if it is let me know.

As for the watch, I would not get the discounted series 0 watches. If you don't need the GPS then get the revamped series 1. I have my series 2 on the way because I want the GPS for my runs etc.

Hope that helps and if not just ask. I am here to provide info as needed.

Papajin

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I was asked to come and provide my feedback as an avid and serious exercise enthusiast :) Hi Sherry ;)

I have had my Apple Watch Series 0 since it was launched and have used it to track every single workout since. Almost 500 of them :). I train heavily with weights, run, bike and do all sorts of mobility work, even yoga. I jump rope like a fiend and dabble in some of the crazy CrossFit stuff.

Hi bamf-hacker, and thanks for the response!

The Apple Watch is a great fitness companion, but it will not give you 100% accurate heart rate information. Since you have the Scosche Rhythm+ getting your HR from your wrist, you know that unless you use a dedicated chest strap you wont get accurate HR, but the aplw is good enough for most aspects of fitness. If you really want a better solution you can pair a BT chest strap to the aplw and get really good quantification of your HR.

Yes I'm well aware of the limitations of an optical-base hr solution. The Scosche seems to be a little better than your average wrist-based solution as it's normally worn on the forearm rather than the wrist (I sometimes wear it on my calf as well when doing upper body work -- it tends to get in the way on the arm), but I still find that it has a delayed response which I personally find annoying, and in some cases it seems to lose track of my heart rate forcing me to adjust it -- usually when I'm doing something high intensity. I'll likely pick up a chest strap to replace it soon.

It does a pretty decent job at tracking steps as long as you do the 20 minute outdoor walk calibration. I am no longer into step tracking as it is a poor measure of fitness. But I still look to see how many steps I get each day. As for calorie burn during activity, it uses your health data for weight and the HR information to calculate your estimated calorie burn. And like step tracking calculating calorie burn into my nutrition tracking is not something I do anymore. I did for a long time, but again it is not an accurate way to keep your calories in check since the rest of the day has more to do with your overall calorie burn than your hour workout.

I wasn't even aware there was a calibration -- that's good to know. While I also don't really use steps as a measure of fitness, I still like having the data point to refer to. Same goes for the calorie estimations.

What I like is it gives me access to my music while I train, and quick glances to my notifications from my phone. I don't like t stop training to check a text, but if I see it is something important I am able too.

I usually work out in the evening, so it's rare that a text comes in much less one I care enough about to stop a workout. Still I absolutely like having the ability to check a text or email from my wrist rather than pull my phone out, so that's one feature I'd absolutely use.

As for apps that I use, on the aplw, I only use the stock workout app, and with the updates in watchOS3 it is perfect. I use a few apps on the iPhone though. Not sure if that is something you want to know about but if it is let me know.

Yes, this is something I absolutely would like to know. Do you use anything that helps consolidate everything in one place? Do you use the built in Health app at all? I occasionally like to browse my past workouts and compare current results against past results -- with my current Garmin/Scosche setup, everything is consolidated under the Garmin web application and I prefer having that info available on the bigger computer screen vs. a small phone screen (keep in mind I have an SE).

As for the watch, I would not get the discounted series 0 watches. If you don't need the GPS then get the revamped series 1. I have my series 2 on the way because I want the GPS for my runs etc.

Yeah as of right now I don't bike or run or swim, but we're gearing up to move someplace a bit warmer than Illinois and there's a good chance we'll be putting in a pool so swimming might be of interest in the near future. Likewise I'd like to have the option of the GPS if I decide to start running. Additionally I do like to go backpacking from time to time and GPS data might be interesting for that, though I don't know how well it would work due to battery life with the GPS on. I suppose I could always use my phone while hiking, but dragging a phone along on a run seems likely to be an annoyance.

Hope that helps and if not just ask. I am here to provide info as needed.

Thanks much! Your post was definitely the sort of information I was looking for!

Last edited:

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Thank you SO very very much! I knew you would be able to help and that you would give an amazing response. You're awesome. :)

Can you elaborate more about this step calibration thing?

Edit: Nevermind.. I found it! :) (for anyone else who needs it): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

Last edited:

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Can I bother you with a few more questions?

The Workout app is really only a tracker of heartrate, will calculate calories burned etc?

You can not create a workout routine that will guide you through each exercise, number of reps, rest between reps, rest between exercises etc? Are there apps that can do that?

Also, the health app does not have a web dashboard to view data on, correct?

Thanks for your time.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73