Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By robertk328
  • 1 Post By Rob Phillips
  • 1 Post By bobbob1016
  • 3 Post By Rob Phillips
  • 1 Post By bobbob1016
  • 1 Post By Tartarus
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Default Was I mistaken when I thought OS3 would let me remove the crappy apps?

I don't want the apps Apple has on my watch. I don't want breathe, find my friends, or any of that nonsense. Am I really unable to remove it? I can't find a way. I want to be able to quickly get to an app, and get out, not have this extra clutter. I've moved them out of the way, but I keep accidentally hitting them.

Default Re: Was I mistaken when I thought OS3 would let me remove the crappy apps?

You can go to the Watch app and disable Breathe. Not sure what the other nonsense is but just have to poke around a bit.
    Sherry_B likes this.

Default Re: Was I mistaken when I thought OS3 would let me remove the crappy apps?

You cannot remove the "crappy" stock apps in watchOS 3. The best thing you can do is move them aside on your app screen and disable their notifications.
    Sherry_B likes this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    You can go to the Watch app and disable Breathe. Not sure what the other nonsense is but just have to poke around a bit.
    I don't want any of the apps they added. Find My Friends isn't useful. I don't want breathe, Activities, or basically any of the Apple ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    You cannot remove the "crappy" stock apps in watchOS 3. The best thing you can do is move them aside on your app screen and disable their notifications.
    Thanks, that's what I did. I was just hoping to have some way to avoid tapping them by accident. I guess Apple thinks they own my devices. Still wondering what happened to "Think Different"...
    maximusaurelius likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbob1016 View Post
    Thanks, that's what I did. I was just hoping to have some way to avoid tapping them by accident. I guess Apple thinks they own my devices. Still wondering what happened to "Think Different"...
    Keep in mind Apple has always kept tight control over user experience. I'm not saying I don't see where you're coming from but control is ultimately something we sacrifice to a certain extent with Apple.

They actually made a step in the right direction with the ability to hide certain stock apps in iOS 10.
    iMore Expert

They actually made a step in the right direction with the ability to hide certain stock apps in iOS 10.
    I don't think it was a right or wrong step. Just a step to placate some people. I'm not sure why people get so torqued but that's their deposition and they're welcome to it.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Keep in mind Apple has always kept tight control over user experience. I'm not saying I don't see where you're coming from but control is ultimately something we sacrifice to a certain extent with Apple.

It makes more sense to hide those apps on the smaller screen though. I would much rather have a folder with the **** emoji on it on my phone, that 8 things I'll never use on my watch.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

It makes more sense to hide those apps on the smaller screen though. I would much rather have a folder with the **** emoji on it on my phone, that 8 things I'll never use on my watch.
    Really? A word that rhymes with scoop is censored? That's funny.
    BrindawithanI likes this.

Really? A word that rhymes with scoop is censored? That's funny.
    Yes, and "crappy" is not.

And might I add that Apple stock apps on what ever device you may have are negligible in storage size.
    They don't take up much space.
    Sherry_B likes this.

when have you ever been able to delete a stock app from an iOS device? iOS 10 was the first time we've been able to do that. Wouldn't be surprised if it makes its way to watchOS at some point too.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

Disable notification.

I don't want any of the apps they added. Find My Friends isn't useful. I don't want breathe, Activities, or basically any of the Apple ones.
    Any of the native apps that can be removed from the iPhone can also be removed from the Watch.
    iMore Newbie

Hello. This is Apple. We know best. Submit to your new Apple Overlords and breathe when we tell you to.
    iMore Newbie

Haha. I just turned mine off. I'm on the fence about the reminders to stand. There some medical evidence to support the need to get off your rear and move around every hour or so. I have a standing desk and I still get reminders to stand from my watch. I'm like 'What do you think I've been doing for the last 4 hours?"

Quote Originally Posted by maximusaurelius View Post
    Haha. I just turned mine off. I'm on the fence about the reminders to stand. There some medical evidence to support the need to get off your rear and move around every hour or so. I have a standing desk and I still get reminders to stand from my watch. I'm like 'What do you think I've been doing for the last 4 hours?"
    You can turn those off, too.
    iMore Expert

Quote Originally Posted by maximusaurelius View Post
    I'm like 'What do you think I've been doing for the last 4 hours?"
    Yes, the Watch's accelerometer needs to be more sensitive and track your movements, so it knows and remembers that you've stood up and are still standing. I'd also like it to know that in most cases, if I'm moving 10-60mph, I probably shouldn't stand.

There are almost as many exceptions as there are rules, such as being on a long plane flight, etc.