Series 1 Display

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The only difference mentioned was the upgraded CPU. If the display was also upgraded, I'd think they'd mention that too, That's a big deal. I don't see that feature as something they'd put on the S1 at that price point. Maybe on the S1 when the S3 comes out, if it's still around then.

quiksetz

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
how is the display on the current apple watch? I don't need GPS or the complete waterproofing. But I am outside a lot and wear sunglasses and wondered if the brighter screen on the series 2 is necessary. Would I be able to see and use an apple watch series 1 with sunglasses on with ease?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
how is the display on the current apple watch? I don't need GPS or the complete waterproofing. But I am outside a lot and wear sunglasses and wondered if the brighter screen on the series 2 is necessary. Would I be able to see and use an apple watch series 1 with sunglasses on with ease?

I personally have not had any issues with the display on the current AW. I'm not outside tons, but I do run a good bit and haven't ever had issues seeing my run stats during my runs.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
how is the display on the current apple watch?... But I am outside a lot and wear sunglasses and wondered if the brighter screen on the series 2 is necessary. Would I be able to see and use an apple watch series 1 with sunglasses on with ease?

See it? Probably not, not in direct sunlight, especially with sunglasses. I can see large numbers in those conditions and just barely. Even taking off sunglasses doesn't get much if any better. I have to shade the display.

According to John Gruber of Daring Fireball, the Series 2 is readable in bright sunlight but it's not great. Still, better than S1, which he says he couldn't read at all.

quiksetz

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I am a beach volleyball coach so I am out in direct sunlight everyday and will be using my watch as a timer sometimes. I thought I could get away with a new Series 1, but now I might be leaning towards the series 2, even though I don't need the complete waterproof or GPS, just the brighter screen

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I am a beach volleyball coach so I am out in direct sunlight everyday and will be using my watch as a timer sometimes. I thought I could get away with a new Series 1, but now I might be leaning towards the series 2, even though I don't need the complete waterproof or GPS, just the brighter screen

If you live near an Apple store you can purchase from there. I believe you have 30 days (or is it 15? I can't recall) to return it. This way you could test the AW1 and if you can't read the face you can exchange it for the 2. At the very least you can discuss it with them to know what your options are.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
You will not be able to read the AW or AWS1 face in bright sunlight. You will have to shield the display, and it still may not be possible to read small 'print' if not completely shielded or standing in a shadow.

From what I've read, you'll be able to read the AWS2 in bright sunlight, but the display won't be bright.

The AW and AWS1 displays are 450nits and the S2 is 1000. So it's a little more than twice as bright, and it's still not 'bright' in sunlight.

You have 14 days to return an Apple product to an Apple Store (assuming you purchased it from Apple. Other stores are probably more generous (as in 30 days).

quiksetz

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Just saw this display comparison on reddit. I thought I'd see a bigger difference. The AW on the left is a Series 2, the one on the right is the Series 0/1

tempus2-024.jpg

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Just saw this display comparison on reddit. I thought I'd see a bigger difference. The AW on the left is a Series 2, the one on the right is the Series 0/1

View attachment 111718

Yea not a huge difference in the pic but no telling when in use. I've never had issues seeing my screen in the sun, so not sure that I will be hugely surprised by the series 2 screen.

anon(9343851)

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I don’t know, I’m outside all the time in bright sunlight (live in Texas), and even while wearing sunglasses, I’ve never had a problem reading the display on my 1st Generation WATCH. I have Brightness set to the minimum value.

Got a Series 2 anyway :p

Last edited:

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
My first gen AW's screen is already bright enough, and still very readable to me under direct sunlight. Though the series 2's screen may be a bit brighter but it's more power-draining and that includes the built-in GPS too, hence the larger batt.

But batt life rating is still the same.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The series 1 gets everything, new chip, new display, waterproof. Just no GPS.

No, it doesn't.

It does not get the new display, it's not 'waterproof, and there's no USB wall charger. It's the same as the Apple Watch but with the SP1 dual core processor.

It's more accurate to say it gets everything the Apple Watch had and GPS, not the Series 2 just no GPS.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73