Late Adopters...buying or waiting?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm usually an early iAdopter...and I've been quick to jump on every iDevice since the first iPhone dropped. But...I have not been so with the Apple Watch. Quite different from the iPhone or iPad...it has never been a "have to have" device. As a matter of fact, I have just recently found myself wanting one, and I'm noticing that the prices have dropped drastically. I can buy several locally on Craigslist, some even brand new in the plastic-wrapped box that were won by the seller in some kind of an awards deal or a raffle for cheap! Prices on 42mm Sport Apple Watches are $200-275. Not bad.

But then, I hear of the Apple Watch 2 coming soon and there are rumors of a larger capacity battery, slimmer profile & a lower price point.

So...what are your opinions? Buy the Apple Watch now, at a hot discount...or wait for the Apple Watch 2?

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Wait. If you buy now and it does have a better battery you'll regret it. No sure about a lower price or slimmer cause that would be a first for Apple to change the price that quick.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
At this point, you might as well wait. Even if you don't buy a second generation Watch, you may be able to get an even better deal on the current generation model when the second gen. is introduced.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
At this point, you might as well wait. Even if you don't buy a second generation Watch, you may be able to get an even better deal on the current generation model when the second gen. is introduced.

Yeah, man...that's what I'm thinking. I mean, I can buy a BNIB one for $250 or a used one for around $200...and although those are good prices, they are not too far off from retail. I know there is always a bigger-and-better model around the corner for any device, but at this late a date it makes sense to wait. I mean...it's still not like a "have to have" thing.

(And, ooops! I wish I'd paid attention to all the other 1000 "buy now or wait" threads before I posted this! :cant-watch::rotfl:)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, man...that's what I'm thinking. I mean, I can buy a BNIB one for $250 or a used one for around $200...and although those are good prices, they are not too far off from retail. I know there is always a bigger-and-better model around the corner for any device, but at this late a date it makes sense to wait. I mean...it's still not like a "have to have" thing.

(And, ooops! I wish I'd paid attention to all the other 1000 "buy now or wait" threads before I posted this! :cant-watch::rotfl:)

(Laughing)...No harm done, my friend.

GuyWith4Kids

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a 1st gen Apple watch that retailed for over $600 for $250 (Apple refurbished) from Best Buy. If the new one comes out and is worth it or the price drops further, I can return it. I think retailers are dumping any gen 1 inventory at a steal.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Well...being ever the stubborn individual (and taking no advice from any of you more level-headed people here) I picked up a brand new 42mm Sport AW last night from a local seller who won it in a raffle at his work place. He's an Android guy and just needed some pocket dough...so I got it, brand new in the box & still in the wrapping...for $180! Hey, I figure even if it winds up not being my cup of tea or if I want the Gen2...I can still break even at the very least. :biggrin:

It's kind of a learning curve...and it's barely setup at this juncture, but I like it a lot so far. And I'm stoked on the deal.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Well...being ever the stubborn individual (and taking no advice from any of you more level-headed people here) I picked up a brand new 42mm Sport AW last night from a local seller who won it in a raffle at his work place. He's an Android guy and just needed some pocket dough...so I got it, brand new in the box & still in the wrapping...for $180! Hey, I figure even if it winds up not being my cup of tea or if I want the Gen2...I can still break even at the very least. :biggrin:

It's kind of a learning curve...and it's barely setup at this juncture, but I like it a lot so far. And I'm stoked on the deal.

Excellent deal. I was apprehensive about getting an  Watch, but gave in a couple of months ago. Even then the rumors were flying about the next gen watch. I have been very pleased since getting mine. The more I use it the more I like it. But I will not go for the next gen watch as this one does all I need it to do. That was an awesome deal you got though! Now enjoy it!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
When the first Watch came out, my husband was absolutely certain that I'd want one. So he was very surprised when I said no that I really had no desire for one. That said, I've found myself starting conversations with people when I noticed they had one. These are people that I don't know, and being shy, it's unusual for me to start a conversation with a complete stranger. All responses have been more than favorable and so while I'm on the fence, I feel myself starting to wobble. It's safe to say that a Watch is in my future, but I need a new iPad first!

srkmagnus

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Whelp...I bought my wife a Watch yesterday knowing that news would be announced today for the new hardware. She hasn't opened it because I told her to wait until the new Watch was official and we could see what is new and if it'll be something she may want to upgrade up to.

In case she says no, she doesn't want to get a Series 2 device, do you guys think returning the original Watch for a new Series 1 device would be better? If I read correctly, the new Series 1 model's will have the new processor, which is the only hardware difference(?). At $269 it'll be a $20 difference from what I paid, but think it'll better support future updates. Thoughts?

In case anyone is wondering why I would not just wait to purchase...our Anniversary is today so I wanted her to have something to open now, rather than waiting.

NSpooner

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
What will be the price for the 'old' watch now? They don't even list them on the site anymore but they obviously have inventory. Unless they are swapping the processors on them which I doubt.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Whelp...I bought my wife a Watch yesterday knowing that news would be announced today for the new hardware. She hasn't opened it because I told her to wait until the new Watch was official and we could see what is new and if it'll be something she may want to upgrade up to.

In case she says no, she doesn't want to get a Series 2 device, do you guys think returning the original Watch for a new Series 1 device would be better? If I read correctly, the new Series 1 model's will have the new processor, which is the only hardware difference(?). At $269 it'll be a $20 difference from what I paid, but think it'll better support future updates. Thoughts?

In case anyone is wondering why I would not just wait to purchase...our Anniversary is today so I wanted her to have something to open now, rather than waiting.

I would return it and get the upgraded Series 1 .... Or the Series 2.

srkmagnus

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
What will be the price for the 'old' watch now? They don't even list them on the site anymore but they obviously have inventory. Unless they are swapping the processors on them which I doubt.
$269. Third party retailers may have lower priced devices until they clear old inventory, but I don't think it'll be a big drop.

by1333

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

So after yesterday's announcement, do you see yourself moving on from that 1 and going to a series 2 AW? Just curious.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I've been intrigued by the watch since they first came out, but never could pull the trigger on what is essentially a toy. However, I've found myself more drawn recently and today I scored a like new stainless original 42 for $240. I'm happy with that price and I think I'll enjoy it based on reviews I've gotten from friends who own them. I guess time (ooh, a pun!) will tell if I made the right decision.

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The Apple Watch is great, I've owned one since December. No complaints, yes def wish it had some other features but with WatchOS3 greats new things are coming.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered my first Apple Watch. I went with a Series 1 42mm.

If the watch proves to be more than a novelty for me, I will look at upgrading to the latest and greatest model.