Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Cool What's your longest move streak? (Warning - significant bragging involved!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-23 07.22.30.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	109667

I received my Apple Watch June 25, 2015. It took me about a month to determine what I felt to be a reasonably challenging but realistically achievable move goal for someone whose work day is spent at a desk and who travels a great deal. A year later, I'm proud to report that I have achieved my move goal 365 days in a row. I try to run at least a 5k every morning (>750 miles so far this year) and so I often achieve my admittedly modest move goal early in the day, but in the past year I've done some crazy things to meet my goal (e.g., did jumping jacks for 30 minutes in a Lima hotel room, walked for 3+ miles in several airports, etc.). I've also been very lucky because I've managed an entire year without weather or injury/illness preventing exercise. Here's to 365 more!

So how about you? What's your longest move streak?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,726 Global Posts

Default Re: What's your longest move streak? (Warning - significant bragging involved!)

I think I got about twenty days once. Between different job sites, hours, travel days, and betas, it's been hard to get consistent activity readings.
    iMore Beginner

Default Re: What's your longest move streak? (Warning - significant bragging involved!)

I'm not far short of the OP's LOL
    tcuprof likes this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Been out of town since posting this. Kind of disappointed at the number of replies. I guess move streaks aren't a big deal in this crowd.

Congrats to Beards. Your move streak is impressive!

My streak is usually only 6 days at a time. I run 30+ miles a week, lift and do Taekwondo and rest on Sundays or else my body would fall apart. So streak-wise it's not impressive but i do ok staying in shape.
    mumfoau and tcuprof like this.
    iMore Beginner

857 cal, 10,253 steps, 6.82 ml and it's only just gone 1am.
    tcuprof likes this.
    iMore Elite

Mine when mowing the lawn. I use a push mower. Takes on average 1 1/2 hours.
    iMore Nanite

Today makes 424 days. Got my watch on June 2nd, 10 days after a total hip replacement. I was up and about, but it took a few days before I closed my 650 cal move ring (17th). On the 22nd I had 6 consecutive triple ring days and then came down with appendicitis, so it was back to the hospital. But by the 27th I was back in sync and haven't missed a day since. But it's been tough, getting up at 4:30am and pounding away on the treadmill for an hour. More than once, the streak has kept me going when all I wanted to do was sleep. It's hardest when I'm away from home—being able to knock out 500 calories before 6:00am makes the rest of it easy. Like you say, it will probably be illness that will break the string. I'm in awe of the streak runners that can go years, decades even, without missing a day.
    tcuprof likes this.

Interested to know what the OP calorie setting is at.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Congrats cvdunton! That's an impressive and inspirational story! You should be closing in on the 500 move goal achievement, so be sure to post when that happens.

I'm at 402 days now, but the next few months are going to really be a challenge as I'll be travelling in South America and have no idea if there's a place to run in several locales.

Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    Interested to know what the OP calorie setting is at.
    Sorry for the slow response John. Just got back from travels. My daily move goal is 500 calories. As I mentioned originally, it is admittedly a very modest goal, but for me it's far more motivational to have a goal I can realistically hit than one that I can't make. And since I often end up sitting all day in an office or on an airplane, there have been plenty of times when 500 calories was tough to get. I'm kind of a health stat freak and so I know that in the past 12+ months, my minimum daily calorie burn was 513 calories (spent all day travelling that day), my max burn was 1387 (12/11), and my daily average over the past year was 839. Probably more than you wanted to know.

One last comment - I sure would like to know exactly how the watch calculates calories. On a recent trip to Peru, I took a group of students hiking one day. At the end of the hike, I had approximately 400 active calories, meanwhile a student showed me that he got 850 active calories for the same hike! I'd be interested in comparing how many active calories others are getting for their runs.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by tcuprof View Post

One last comment - I sure would like to know exactly how the watch calculates calories. On a recent trip to Peru, I took a group of students hiking one day. At the end of the hike, I had approximately 400 active calories, meanwhile a student showed me that he got 850 active calories for the same hike! I'd be interested in comparing how many active calories others are getting for their runs.
    It's monitoring your heart rate.
    A higher elevated heart rate will burn more calories as blood is being pumped faster, thus muscles work harder.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Intermediate

That's it?? Heart rate and time? I might just create a statistical model to test that. If that's all that matters, then the better shape you're in, the fewer calories you burn in a given time.
    FFR
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,640 Global Posts

How do you find out?
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by FFR View Post
    How do you find out?
    How do you find out what?
    FFR
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,640 Global Posts

Your current move streak
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iMore Intermediate

Open the Activities app, click on Achievements, look for the green icon with the red infinite loop.
    FFR likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

I'm at 122 days now, although I've had the watch a year I didn't really start pushing myself till just before the summer. Move goal of 800 cals. I walk a minimum of 6 miles each day, but then either cycle or run after work.

It's certainly great motivation!
    tcuprof likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

Well my streak has ended at 124 days...unfortunately my phone/watch had a bit of a moment last week and when I uploaded my workout data from my Garmin Edge, somehow the data from Wednesday and Thursday got trashed.

Strange thing is that according to the activity app I up stood every hour for 24 hours and worked out for over 1,400 minutes on each day yet it reduces my active cals to 125 and 480...both days were over 800 cal.

Yes I'm peed off, but what can you do eh
    iMore Expert

I really like the new Activity watch face in wOS3, but I can't use it because it would involve significant lying.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by malt1977 View Post
    Well my streak has ended at 124 days...unfortunately my phone/watch had a bit of a moment last week and when I uploaded my workout data from my Garmin Edge, somehow the data from Wednesday and Thursday got trashed.

Strange thing is that according to the activity app I up stood every hour for 24 hours and worked out for over 1,400 minutes on each day yet it reduces my active cals to 125 and 480...both days were over 800 cal.

Yes I'm peed off, but what can you do eh
    That really sucks! I know I'd be really unhappy if my streak was stopped due to mechanical malfunction.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Guy View Post
    I really like the new Activity watch face in wOS3
    Me too! My current schedule is such that I don't need to see the next appointment and so I've changed to the Activity face and like it very much.
    iMore Expert

and so I've changed to the Activity face
    The watch face 'dock' is another great feature of wOS3. It makes moving from one face to another a breeze. It also allowed me to easily review and pare down my 22 faces!
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Guy View Post
    The watch face 'dock' is another great feature of wOS3. It makes moving from one face to another a breeze. It also allowed me to easily review and pare down my 22 faces!
    Yes! I love the new swipe to change faces! I only use modular, activity digital, and chronograph, so I've got them as the first three in the 'dock' and can switch at will. It's a really nice change.

Quote Originally Posted by Beards View Post
    It's monitoring your heart rate.
    A higher elevated heart rate will burn more calories as blood is being pumped faster, thus muscles work harder.
    I don't know that it's just heart rate and time. I think it also takes into account your age, weight and gender, too. Isn't that info available? Or maybe I'm thinking about Fitbit.
    iMore Expert

so I've got them as the first three in the 'dock'
    I use a bunch so my most oft used are in the middle with others on the left and right.

In playing with the 3-dial activity analog face, I noticed something interesting.When the Watch is locked, no rings show, just the watch face. This is to protect your health data, obviously. When the Watch is unlocked the rings appear out of nowhere! It's magical!

So I twist my wrist to bring up the locked display and I see the time. Click the Home button on my phone, the Watch unlocks and... It's magic!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast