Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Garz
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Apple Watch backup does not save Activity data

Has anyone noticed that the Apple Watch backup does not save your activity data for the day? I unpaired my AW from my 6S today to pair it with a different iPhone and after I restored it from backup, the Activity data was not there! I've lost all my rings for the day. Is there any way to restore that? That is so lame.

Even my workout data from this morning is gone, not just my activity rings. Not much of a backup ....
    iMore Intermediate

Default Re: Apple Watch backup does not save Activity data

I believe your activity data is stored within the Activity app on your iPhone. When you switched to a difference iPhone, your Watch's activity app would have populated with whatever was in the Activity app on that iPhone. If you re-pair with your other iPhone, your latest Activity data will be restored.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post
    I believe your activity data is stored within the Activity app on your iPhone. When you switched to a difference iPhone, your Watch's activity app would have populated with whatever was in the Activity app on that iPhone. If you re-pair with your other iPhone, your latest Activity data will be restored.
    Nope. I've already checked the app on my phone. Nothing. So frustrating.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    9,424 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    Nope. I've already checked the app on my phone. Nothing. So frustrating.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204518

says it should back up, so long as you use an encrypted iTunes backup or iCloud. i also noticed recently, i paired my watch to an old iPhone 5S, and it didn't bring activity data over. once i paired back to my iPhone 6, the data returned.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204518

says it should back up, so long as you use an encrypted iTunes backup or iCloud.
    Yea, I know what it says. But it didn't. I backed up to iCloud. Not sure what happened.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    9,424 Global Posts

Yea, I know what it says. But it didn't. I backed up to iCloud. Not sure what happened.
    since I've experienced the same thing, I'm wondering if its due to data only being able to be restored to the original device it was paired to.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    21,827 Global Posts

The key is the encrypted backup to iTunes on computer. That is the only way health data on your iPhone is backed up.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    9,424 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    The key is the encrypted backup to iTunes on computer. That is the only way health data on your iPhone is backed up.
    encrypted iTunes or iCloud.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    9,424 Global Posts

10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Encrypt the AW backup?
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    9,424 Global Posts

Encrypt the AW backup?
    Backup via iTunes and select the box to encrypt the backup. By encrypting, it backs up all sensitive data, including the health stuff.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    14,564 Global Posts

This is correct. I've done both and it has worked each time.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    This is correct. I've done both and it has worked each time.
    When my iPhone backs up at night to iCloud, will it take a backup of my AW?

What I did today was unpair my watch and it performed a backup. I stupidly thought that went to iCloud. Where does it go?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    14,564 Global Posts

When my iPhone backs up at night to iCloud, will it take a backup of my AW?

What I did today was unpair my watch and it performed a backup. I stupidly thought that went to iCloud. Where does it go?
    The backup of the watch I believe just saves your watch settings. I could be wrong though. What I've always found that works for me is to make sure my iTunes backups are encrypted so that way my watch health data is saved there just in case. If I was switching to a new phone, id make sure my iCloud and iTunes back ups are freshly new and then pair the watch and restore watch back up. Then when I re-paired watch to new phone, my health data transfers. And I've restored from iCloud and encrypted iTunes back ups and both have worked. Hope this helps.
    Rob Phillips and eyecrispy like this.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    The backup of the watch I believe just saves your watch settings. I could be wrong though. What I've always found that works for me is to make sure my iTunes backups are encrypted so that way my watch health data is saved there just in case. If I was switching to a new phone, id make sure my iCloud and iTunes back ups are freshly new and then pair the watch and restore watch back up. Then when I re-paired watch to new phone, my health data transfers. And I've restored from iCloud and encrypted iTunes back ups and both have worked. Hope this helps.
    Here's my problem. I'm gpnna be switching between my SE and 6S. I won't need to restore the phones from
    backup each time. I'll just be swapping sims. But I'll need to unpair my AW each time and won't be able to restore from iTunes backup each time. Or am I assuming wrong ? Will I be able to restore the AW backup from encrypted iPhone backup without restore backup to my iPhone?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    14,564 Global Posts

Here's my problem. I'm gpnna be switching between my SE and 6S. I won't need to restore the phones from
    backup each time. I'll just be swapping sims. But I'll need to unpair my AW each time and won't be able to restore from iTunes backup each time. Or am I assuming wrong ? Will I be able to restore the AW backup from encrypted iPhone backup without restore backup to my iPhone?
    That part I'm not certain. I never bounced back and forth between phones. What I'm referring to as if I was switching phones. Like getting a new phone and restoring my back up from phone too. What you want to do may work but I can't confirm that.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

I think I discovered a work around. Had some issues with my AW battery draining like crazy today so I decided to set it up as new. Right before I did that, I opened the activities app on my iPhone and made sure that all my activity info from today showed up in there and then I wiped my AW. After my watch was set up again, my activity info showed up on my watch. I will say that it took several minutes after the watch was functional again for the activity rings to reappear properly, but it seems to have worked.
    iMore Nanite

I have a kinda similar problem. I have iPhone 6s+ and Gen0 watch. I had to re-pair the watch once, so, instead of merging things...I have a separate watch entry (sigh). I bought both a Gen2 watch, and iPhone 7+, I have the new watch, now, so...I want to pair the new watch with the iPhone 6s+ now, and...somehow...merge all the data from the two Gen0 entries. I will then want to pair the Gen2 watch with the iPhone 7+, and bring over ALL the data since I first bought the older watch.

Did iOS 10 & WatchOS 3 make it easier to just save, recover, and use only the watch data (and any of that data that's now only on the older phone)? I really want to load my iPhone 7+ from scratch, and the only thing I want to recover and use with the new watch and iPhone is the watch health and other data...

Thanks, in advance!!!!!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

Tracy you can get all other date to transfer but if you want health data to transfer you have to back up using encrypted data or it will not save health data.
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jimkraz View Post
    if you want health data to transfer you have to back up using encrypted data
    Another good reason to chose encrypting backups. It also saves passwords (in iOS, too).
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

My iPhone 6S Plus went insane today and kept turning off and every time I tried to turn it back on it said I didn't have enough battery, but it had 60% battery. The battery has been draining badly lately so I decided to finally reset it.

I connected my phone to my MacBook Pro and backed up via iTunes. Then I reset it using recovery mode (it wasn't doing it in the normal way because I'd previously had the developer betas on it and I went back to 10.0.2). I then restored it from my backup and NONE of my activity data is on my phone. It's on my AW (original generation), but none of my badges or anything are there. What is going on?!?