Feeling patriotic today!

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
2646c35e1e53f3de5bd4f3ba90335e1e.jpg

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
To whom are you replying and what does feeling patriotic have to do with sympathy for someone born in other countries? I don't see the connection.

I was asking the patriotic people above. If you feel patriotic, how can you not feel sorry for people from other countries? Aren't they missing out simply because of where they were born? Just trying to understand the logic of this thread.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was asking the patriotic people above. If you feel patriotic, how can you not feel sorry for people from other countries? Aren't they missing out simply because of where they were born? Just trying to understand the logic of this thread.

During the Olympics, people from all participating countries root strongly for the participants representing their country / homeland. That's being patriotic. While doing so, I'd argue that a majority of them do not feel sorry for the participants from other countries, especially if they lose to the winner representing their own country. Feeling good about one's homeland does not equate to feeling sorry for someone else's. Wearing a jersey of my favorite sports team does not mean I feel sorry for anyone wearing the jerseys of theirs. The only logic to this thread is the fact that the OP felt patriotic on the day he or she created this thread and wanted to share of pic of the patriotic wallpaper displayed on his or her Watch.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Is it purely a distance thing, i.e. you prefer something that's 10km away to something that's 11km away? What would happen if you lived close to a border?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Patriotism is like leaves in an ocean.
Some survive the biggest floods while some simply drown in the calmest seas.

There is no scale to measure patriotism, as it shouldn't be measured.

Patriotism is also like fingerprints.
No two persons in the world have the same ideals.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Patriotism is like leaves in an ocean.
Some survive the biggest floods while some simply drown in the calmest seas.

There is no scale to measure patriotism, as it shouldn't.

Patriotism is also like fingerprints.
No two persons in the world have the same ideals.

Is patriotism an ideal? Is it an ideal to think people who were born in one area of the world are more deserving of support (etc) than people born in another?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the original post was very clear - Is it [patriotism] purely a distance thing, i.e. you prefer something that's 10km away to something that's 11km away? What would happen if you lived close to a border?

Patriotism is defined as vigorous support for one’s country. It’s that simple. It has nothing to do with distance or sympathy. My Olympic reference in my earlier post was crystal clear in that regard.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Patriotism is defined as vigorous support for one’s country. It’s that simple. It has nothing to do with distance or sympathy. My Olympic reference in my earlier post was crystal clear in that regard.

Two points:
1. Yes of course. I'm not sure why you answered my previous question with question marks.
2. I am trying to understand what causes patriotism. According to Tartarus, it is an ideal, which I find an interesting position. According to you, it's not about distance but about borders (if I understand correctly). I'm just curious about why someone would judge someone else based on the geographical location of their birth.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Two points:
1. Yes of course. I'm not sure why you answered my previous question with question marks.
2. I am trying to understand what causes patriotism. According to Tartarus, it is an ideal, which I find an interesting position. According to you, it's not about distance but about borders (if I understand correctly). I'm just curious about why someone would judge someone else based on the geographical location of their birth.

A love for one’s country is not a judgement against someone else or their geographical location. It’s simply a matter of love of what someone considers his own. I’m going to assume you love your own mother. Are you going to negatively judge me because I love my own mother? If one sibling loves living in the house he grew up in and the other loves living in his new house in another city, are you not going to still love your brother and vice versa or are you going to negatively judge him because he doesn’t like living in the same house that you love living in?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The United States of America is my home. I was born here and almost all of my life’s experiences have been experienced here. I love my country passionately and I will defend it to the death, if necessary. Why? Because this is my home, my kids’ home, my parents’ home, etcetera. With that in mind, it doesn’t mean I dislike someone else’s country or that I belittle someone for being from somewhere else. I am indeed a patriot of my country just like someone else is a patriot of his.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice