Will the "SOS" feature, that comes with watchOS 3 update, enable Apple to sell more?

I

iMore Question

What about this SOS feature, do you think it will enable Apple to sell more watches? Is this the compelling feature we all can't do without?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If a person isn't into smart watches or doesn't understand what the watch can and can't do then I doubt a particular feature will enable Apple to sell more. Furthermore, not everyone is willing to fork over the money for an Watch, and others expect it to be more than it is - a companion to the iPhone.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I still think smart watches aren't for everyone.... Every new feature can help a little bit, for sure, especially those that are health care related, but I can't see that as a driving feature for sales.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I still think smart watches aren't for everyone.... Every new feature can help a little bit, for sure, especially those that are health care related, but I can't see that as a driving feature for sales.

This ^^^

And prices will need to come down before people are willing to jump on the wagon.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
What about this SOS feature, do you think it will enable Apple to sell more watches? Is this the compelling feature we all can't do without?

Probably not, and no.

If and when the watch has a cellular radio, that could be a big selling feature. I think most people don't think they'll really ever need that function, or don't want to think so.

There's no auto Help I've Fallen! feature, so a lot of elderly people probably wouldn't/couldn't use it. Most younger people will probably think they'll never need it. And they're right. So as a selling point it will probably only appeal to a narrow range of geeky tech fanboys (like me!). But as an additional feature there'll be a Hey, cool! factor.

I have see a few negative comments from so-called techies who've complained that it will be too easy to activate accidentally, and prank 911 calls blah blah. They make me laugh.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2