Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By firedept10
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default How far can I be away from iPhone with my applewatch

Can I leave iPhone in car and still get messages to my applewatch

Default Re: How far can I be away from iPhone with my applewatch

Welcome to iMore!

It will all depend on how far away from your car you are. I use my watch at work and find with my watch that around the 60'-75' mark, that it is no longer connected to the phone. But I have also found the what is between you can make a difference. There really is no true measurement to speak of, I can only tell you my experience with my watch & phone. You will need to test each situation out.
    Just_Me_D likes this.

What's the farthest distance one can go before the Watch loses connection with the iPhone?

"Traditional Bluetooth range is around 30-50 feet, but your Apple Watch has an advantage if your phone is connected to Wi-Fi. When you connect to a Wi-Fi network, your Watch will remain in contact with your phone anywhere in the building where you're covered by that network. For example, you can be upstairs in your bedroom and take a call while your phone is downstairs on the couch."

Source: http://www.imore.com/apple-watch-faq
    iMore Expert

Quote Originally Posted by iMore Question View Post
    Can I leave iPhone in car and still get messages to my applewatch
    Very likely no, unless your standing right outside your car. BT radio for consumer device (Class 2) use typically has a specification of 10M or approximately 33ft. To get a 'reliable' 100M range Class 1 BT is needed.

And all that said, various circumstances can limit range to much less that the spec. Given the BT radios of the phone and Watch are incased in metal, getting the maximum range out of them is almost wishful thinking. v4 BT is supposed to have a maximum range of 200' but I'm guessing that's downhill with a tailwind.

Default Re: How far can I be away from my iPhone to use my AppleWatch?

Safely, you can move about the room you're in without an issue. If you leave the room and put walls between you and your iPhone distance can vary. For example, my office has thick walls so I can't get more than maybe 25 feet away or I lose signal.