Quick questions about water resistance...

F0REVERY0UNG-

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased my Apple Watch today, and I know that it's supposed to be water resistant, but I just wanted some real world accounts of its actual resistance. I'd never submerge it in water, that's stupid, but I work in the medical field, so i'm constantly washing my hands all day, and I want to make sure I don't have to take it off every time I wash my hands. Should I be concerned and cautious about water splashing on the watch, or will it be able to handle it with no problems? Does anyone here have any experiences with the watch getting wet? Please share, any answers are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Watch for over a year now, and I've worn it all day, every day since purchasing it. I've worn it in the rain and I wash my hands numerous times every day and it has no effect on it whatsoever in my experience.

Last edited:

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I've not showered with it, or gone swimming, but I have run in the pouring rain with it on, and it got soaked - no ill effects. I've also run it under the faucet to clean it off as well.

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Apple Watch is rated IPx7 (details here) which is about as as high you are likely to find in a wearable device. It is adequate for normal usage and casual water up to about 1m (call it 3ft) including washing your hands or the car. IPx7 is not adequate for prolonged continuous immersion or swimming where movement will cause local dynamic pressure increases.

Full details of IP ratings at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

KAWZ

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I wash my hands, wrist, and purposely my watch because I like my watch to be clean as well lol. I have showered in it, steam and all and it's perfectly fine. There's a video on YouTube where someone did a dive and swim test and it came out fine. As a standard warning; I wouldn't recommend someone to do any of the above because who knows how long we'll get away with doing such.

AirHej1

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I was in Vegas a few weeks back and was surprised to see a couple in the pool wearing their Apple Watches. I asked them if they were worried about it and said no and that it wasn't a problem. I don't think they were submerging the watches in water, but thought it was interesting nonetheless. I played it safe and kept my watch out of the pool.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I've swam with mine in a pool a couple of times. The touch screen acts funny for a few hours but then it's back to normal

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
You don't have to worry about splashing water whilst washing your hands at all, trust me on that.
I've done the 'stupid' thing of taking it into the pool many times now, I swim with it (call me reckless or a daredevil, or whatever :rotfl:), I shower wearing it. This has been going on for about half a year now I would estimate, before that I handled it very carefully too but then eventually exposed it to more and more water. Needless to say my watch has not taken any damage, the crown has not become less "clicky", sound of the watch is not muffled (as someone purported on a forum before), battery life is still great for me. So yep, I'm not saying you should do all of the above as well, but seriously don't stress about it copping some water in the sink or outside in the rain. :yes:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR