Epic fail running a 10K with my Watch and Runtastic

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
After testing the Watch in a short practice run about 10 days ago (using Runtastic), I felt okay about using the Watch for my 10K today. Man, was I wrong. For starters (and I don't know if it's just me), I had such a hard time getting Runtastic to even open on my Watch. Once it finally did open (early in mile 1), it would not respond to my taps to start running. My hands weren't sweaty (it was 35 degrees at the start), so that couldn't have been an issue. Has anyone else had that problem? I finally gave up, uninstalled and reinstalled the app during a water break, but it still did not work. Thank God I brought my Microsoft Band 1 as a backup, but still - what a disappointment. Am I missing something?

Runners, have you used other running apps on the Watch? I had been using Map My Run with my Band, but since it doesn't have a native Watch app, I figured I could switch to Runtastic. Since I carry my phone with me, though, I think I'll go back to Map My Run. What other apps do runners use that have worked well? Even though I just got the Watch, I'm really hoping that Apple improves version 2 for running so I can sell this one. I like the other features a great deal, but if this keeps happening, I'll drive myself nuts!

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I have and use my Apple Watch for every trail run and mountain bike ride using Strava.

It's awesome and I can launch Strava from my watch as well as monitor my mileage, speed, and hear rate. Apple and Strava are one of the main reasons I came back to a SE.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I use Runkeeper but not on the watch. I just set the exercise to outside run, on my watch, but I use Runkeeper on my phone. I have a 1/2 marathon coming up, and I'm thinking that I'll not even turn on the exercise app on the watch and just use my iPhone

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I use Runkeeper but not on the watch. I just set the exercise to outside run, on my watch, but I use Runkeeper on my phone. I have a 1/2 marathon coming up, and I'm thinking that I'll not even turn on the exercise app on the watch and just use my iPhone

Word of warning about RunKeeper. Ran a marathon relay yesterday and thought I'd use RK with my AW to track the run. Regret it 110%. Started the run fine when i crossed starting line and a few min later, saw that it had stopped for some reason. Started it again only to have the same thing happen a few min later. And again a third time. After that, I was beyond frustrated and already 2+ miles into my race. I just started the outdoor run feature on my AW workout app and called it a day. I will likely never use RK again due to this experience. So disappointing. I was using Apple Music for my playlist don't know if that interfered but thought I'd point that out. Don't think that was it bc had a similar issue on a shorter run a few weeks ago when RK mysteriously stopped a few miles in after I got a text message during my run.

I'm also bummed to hear that Runtastic has similar issues bc that was my next go to app.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Regret it 110%. Started the run fine when i crossed starting line and a few min later, saw that it had stopped for some reason.
I had the issue myself once, but I turned off auto pause and it hadn't occurred since then. So far on my longish runs, its not been an issue, though I do have my fingers crossed for this weekend :)

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I have used Runkeeper and Nike Running on my iPhones for years, and I use the built-in activity app on the watch now as well. I do not control RK or Nike via the watch since I always carry my iPhone when jogging. I definitely turn off the auto pause features of the apps because are not reliable at all -- I just let the apps keep tracking me even if I have to stop for a bit. I have had the apps fail on me occasionally but with thousands of activities tracked it is not that big of a deal overall...

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I had the issue myself once, but I turned off auto pause and it hadn't occurred since then. So far on my longish runs, its not been an issue, though I do have my fingers crossed for this weekend :)

I have used Runkeeper and Nike Running on my iPhones for years, and I use the built-in activity app on the watch now as well. I do not control RK or Nike via the watch since I always carry my iPhone when jogging. I definitely turn off the auto pause features of the apps because are not reliable at all -- I just let the apps keep tracking me even if I have to stop for a bit. I have had the apps fail on me occasionally but with thousands of activities tracked it is not that big of a deal overall...

Auto pause is definitely toggled to off. I just double checked. Mine wasn't even paused. The app was not even active. It simply crashed. So disappointing. Of course I can initiate it from my phone, but what's the point of having an app for the AW if it's not dependable.

Question - do you guys have Apple Music on when you use RK? I don't think that's the issue, but thought I'd ask.

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I've also more or less given up on the Runkeeper watch app. When I run I start it on the phone and go. Have had far too many crashes and delayed starts when starting from the watch app. I don't think I even have it installed on the watch anymore.

Problems seemed to increase when I started using a chest strap heart rate monitor. Totally threw the watch app into a fit.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Question - do you guys have Apple Music on when you use RK? I don't think that's the issue, but thought I'd ask.

Yep, Apple Music and Match both on and active. I think more generally I do not even use any apps on the Watch, it is just not a good experience. It tells the time, I can glance at my calendar and incoming emails and that's about it for me...

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I've also more or less given up on the Runkeeper watch app. When I run I start it on the phone and go. Have had far too many crashes and delayed starts when starting from the watch app. I don't think I even have it installed on the watch anymore.

Problems seemed to increase when I started using a chest strap heart rate monitor. Totally threw the watch app into a fit.

Yep, Apple Music and Match both on and active. I think more generally I do not even use any apps on the Watch, it is just not a good experience. It tells the time, I can glance at my calendar and incoming emails and that's about it for me...

It's really too bad that it's this way. I wonder how Runtastic and RK can put out an AW app that is largely not functional. Really disappointing. I'm just gonna say that I had none of these issues with this type of integration on both the original Pebble and Pebble Time.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Runners, have you used other running apps on the Watch? I had been using Map My Run with my Band, but since it doesn't have a native Watch app, I figured I could switch to Runtastic. Since I carry my phone with me, though, I think I'll go back to Map My Run. What other apps do runners use that have worked well? Even though I just got the Watch, I'm really hoping that Apple improves version 2 for running so I can sell this one. I like the other features a great deal, but if this keeps happening, I'll drive myself nuts!

I'm perfectly happy with the stock Apple workout app with outdoor or indoor run as necessary. To be fair, I run the same path nearly every day so I don't need features such as a map of my run. The stock app provides everything I want except the ability to track cume stats, and I get those by manually entering runs in my garmin calendar.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
After testing the Watch in a short practice run about 10 days ago (using Runtastic), I felt okay about using the Watch for my 10K today. Man, was I wrong. For starters (and I don't know if it's just me), I had such a hard time getting Runtastic to even open on my Watch. Once it finally did open (early in mile 1), it would not respond to my taps to start running. My hands weren't sweaty (it was 35 degrees at the start), so that couldn't have been an issue. Has anyone else had that problem? I finally gave up, uninstalled and reinstalled the app during a water break, but it still did not work. Thank God I brought my Microsoft Band 1 as a backup, but still - what a disappointment. Am I missing something?

I don't have an Apple Watch, but I'm using Runtastic on my iPhone since its release, and the app has always been very reliable.
I'm actually planning to buy an Apple Watch to use it with Runtastic, now that they are discounted.

I have a question for you: why did you actually start the run before the app was up and running ?

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't have an Apple Watch, but I'm using Runtastic on my iPhone since its release, and the app has always been very reliable.
I'm actually planning to buy an Apple Watch to use it with Runtastic, now that they are discounted.

I have a question for you: why did you actually start the run before the app was up and running ?

I tried to start it multiple times before the run, but it just would not load up. Once the race began, I figured I could go slow in the beginning and try to get the app working. Alas, that did not happen.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I tried to start it multiple times before the run, but it just would not load up. Once the race began, I figured I could go slow in the beginning and try to get the app working. Alas, that did not happen.

Well, as I said before, I have no experience with the Apple Watch, but using Runtastic every other day I never experienced a fail like that.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
You guys with Apple watches (or without) should really give Strava a chance. It's all I use for my runs and rides and it's fantastic!

There is a free version.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
You guys with Apple watches (or without) should really give Strava a chance. It's all I use for my runs and rides and it's fantastic!

There is a free version.

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try Strava. Have read good things about it. Was under the impression it was more for bikers, but I'm open to anything. Do you have an AW? Does the Strava app crash on AW?

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try Strava. Have read good things about it. Was under the impression it was more for bikers, but I'm open to anything. Do you have an AW? Does the Strava app crash on AW?

Yes. I have a AW and use it on every trail run and mountain bike ride. It's never crashed before. Strava is awesome and let's you literally see your progress. The heart rate monitor on the AW is way more comfortable than a chest strap as well.

The only bug I've noticed is that if you launch Strava from your watch, it'll go back to your home watch face.

If you launch Strava from your phone, the AW will stay on the Strava screen lol. Weird.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I have a AW and use it on every trail run and mountain bike ride. It's never crashed before. Strava is awesome and let's you literally see your progress. The heart rate monitor on the AW is way more comfortable than a chest strap as well.

The only bug I've noticed is that if you launch Strava from your watch, it'll go back to your home watch face.

If you launch Strava from your phone, the AW will stay on the Strava screen lol. Weird.

Interesting. Glad to hear it doesn't crash, though. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow on my run and report back.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
To add.

I have tried to use the native exercise app on the watch and it's crashed on me a few times.

So now l just use Strava exclusively and the native Activity app for counting everything else throughout the day. Perfect match for me.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner