I will buy Apple Watch ONLY if

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
It already has Wi-Fi, Apple is just tightly controlling access for battery life reasons. GPS will likewise come when it's power draw won't kill battery life.

Battery life is the currency of mobile.

owlyn

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
As a previous post has stated, it already has WiFi. You need your watch within Bluetooth range of your phone, or WiFi range of your router, so GPS is a given, as it will use whatever GPS is on the device your watch is connected to.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
GPS was a must on my list, esp for the price point. And battery life was poor compared to some others on the market. But I found mine for a steel on Craigslist last month and jumped on it. I am not totally in love with it but it meets my needs for the most part.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm honestly okay with Apple Watch's dependence on iPhone. My iPhone is never very far away to begin with and having to charge my Apple Watch mid-day due to battery drain would be a deal breaker.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
The day it adds GPS (for my running) is the day I buy the Watch.

Question: could they somehow create a smart band that has a GPS receiver?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If the watch could work with my androids.

Not likely to happen. The connection between the watch and iPhone isn't as simple as a Bluetooth connection between, for example, a Pebble watch and an iPhone/Android. My phone behaves differently when my watch is connected. It knows to push notifications through to my watch and keep quiet so I'm not getting duplicate notifications, and how to do it so I can use my watch to interact based on the notification or the app. They talk to each other to decide who handles a command. Connecting to an Android wouldn't produce the same result.

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Question: could they somehow create a smart band that has a GPS receiver?

There are several bands that have GPS such as the Fitbit Surge and Microsoft Band 1 & 2. Both of those units get notifications and the MS Bands can get limited e-mail too.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
There are several bands that have GPS such as the Fitbit Surge and Microsoft Band 1 & 2. Both of those units get notifications and the MS Bands can get limited e-mail too.
I've owned the Surge - ugly as all getout and the screen is atrocious, but otherwise a great fitness watch, GPS takes a huge chunk of battery life. Currently own a Microsoft Band 1, again ugly and not what I'd call comfortable by a long shot (although Band 2 has improved on both counts I'm told). Here again GPS drains the battery quickly.

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I know - I have the Band 1. It's held up well but has limited interactions with my iPhone due to the platform differences.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I would buy an Apple Watch only if...nothing really. I'm not really enticed to buy one and I can't think of anything that would make me say 'Gotta have it!'

clickitykeys

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I will buy an Apple Watch only if provides a week or more of battery life. Until then, I'm happy with a Pebble. I can't be bothered to charge yet another device every one or two nights.

iamjulieb

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm also good with the watches dependency on the iPhone, it was designed as a "accessory" to the iPhone, people buy the Apple Watch knowing that... if there's a way to add GPS without a huge battery draw, then great, if not, that's what my iPhone is for. I bought the watch for so many other reasons.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I will buy an Apple Watch only if provides a week or more of battery life. Until then, I'm happy with a Pebble. I can't be bothered to charge yet another device every one or two nights.

I take my Apple Watch off every night just like I would any other watch. The only difference is I set it on the charger instead of on my dresser. No big deal to me.

clickitykeys

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I take my Apple Watch off every night just like I would any other watch. The only difference is I set it on the charger instead of on my dresser. No big deal to me.

I actually don't set my Pebble on my dresser, but sleep with it on. It tracks my sleep, and provides a good vibrate alarm without waking the s/o . For me that is a big plus, but I understand that it may not matter to everyone.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It does have Wifi in it - it uses it to connect to your phone if it's too far away in the house for Bluetooth, for instance. I have had mine nearly a year and GPS hasn't been a must have for me, and I run outside with it all the time. I find once you get past the 20 minutes with the phone on you, it's pretty accurate.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I actually don't set my Pebble on my dresser, but sleep with it on. It tracks my sleep, and provides a good vibrate alarm without waking the s/o . For me that is a big plus, but I understand that it may not matter to everyone.

I wish I could rely on the Apple Watch for an alarm, but the vibration isn't strong enough and the sound isn't loud enough. Before the Apple Watch, I wore an original Pebble, and it's alarm vibrate has never failed me. I still wear the Pebble to bed as a silent alarm, to not wake up my girlfriend. I never connect it any more, just use it without Bluetooth for a local watch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods