When and how often do you charge your Apple Watch?

gwhizkids

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Sleep++ the last 2 days. Here's the battery usage and recharging I've had:

-Thursday night 10 pm 42% after full day's use
-Put on airplane mode and activate Sleep++
-Up at 6 am, battery at 34%
-Put watch on charger. 100% within 65 mins or so (I checked via iPhone battery widget)
-9 am watch back on.
-Friday night, up til 2am. Battery at 52%.
-Put on airplane mode and activate Sleep++
-Up at 9am, battery at 42%
-Put watch on charger. 100% within 65 mins or so (once again, I checked via iPhone battery widget)

I have been more than pleased with the battery life on the Watch. Being able to use it for sleep monitoring is an unexpected benefit.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I had been charging every night since I got the watch in July and it had been working fine. Out of curiosity of Sleep++ I'm going to try this method to see how it works out:

https://david-smith.org/blog/2015/09/21/how-to-wear-your-apple-watch-24-slash-7/

I have a feeling that I'll be switching back to nightly because I like to have the watch on me while I'm awake. I've grown pretty attached to it.

I use David Smiths method of charging, I also use the workout function for 60-75 minutes every morning and charge while showering and then while I prepare for bed, usually hit the bed with 100% charge. I put the watch in airplane mode while sleeping with Sleep++ and wake up with 98-99% charge. Then it only takes a few minutes to get back to a fully charged watch. I get great battery life. Some of this may be due to running watchOS 2.2 beta 3 as I've noticed a marked improvement with the betas.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
The first week I had my watch, it was down to 40% by the time I got home from work in the evening.

Now, I put it on the charger when I'm getting ready in the morning. It's rarely below 40% when I do, and it's fully charged by the time I'm ready to walk out the door.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
"wear all day, charge all night. It's fun to be a vampire..."

No, wait, that's something else... ;)

I charge mine mostly every other night, or sometimes every third night. The battery life on this is amazing. Like DevilishBanker above, I find it no more hard to drop this onto my charging stand than I would to drop my normal watch onto my dresser.

Jean Sagarese

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I have used it for sleep tracking and then put it on the charger while I get ready for work and it is fine. Have not really noticed never having enough battery life.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It's only been a little over two days, but I think charging each night will work best. The first day I went from 6am to 10:30pm and ended with 35% battery, but this was day one so I was on it more doing set up and playing around. Yesterday was another almost 17 hour day and I ended with 52% battery so it's possible that I may end up getting two days, but I will probably charge at night just like I do with my iPhone.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It's only been a little over two days, but I think charging each night will work best. The first day I went from 6am to 10:30pm and ended with 35% battery, but this was day one so I was on it more doing set up and playing around. Yesterday was another almost 17 hour day and I ended with 52% battery so it's possible that I may end up getting two days, but I will probably charge at night just like I do with my iPhone.

Wow. I was below 10% by end of day yesterday. I did, however, have a 1.5 hour workout at night after work when I went to tae kwon do class. I think workout mode drains battery faster. No way I can make it through two whole days without charging ... And this is with me charging while showering after my morning workouts.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I was below 10% by end of day yesterday. I did, however, have a 1.5 hour workout at night after work when I went to tae kwon do class. I think workout mode drains battery faster. No way I can make it through two whole days without charging ... And this is with me charging while showering after my morning workouts.

Very good point. I did not have a workout either of those days. I did run this morning and will use the Gymaholic app later when workout tonight. We will see how much impact those additional activities have.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Ok so when I added in the morning run and evening workout I ended up at 28% at 10:30pm when I took it off. So I had a 16+ hour day wearing the watch and ended at 28%. I'm sure there will be days that I use it more or less but I don't see it being an issue. I would imagine that if you used it for maps or something then it could drain pretty quick. For most of the day it's a quick glance at the notification, deal with it and then move on. No long screen on times.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok so when I added in the morning run and evening workout I ended up at 28% at 10:30pm when I took it off. So I had a 16+ hour day wearing the watch and ended at 28%. I'm sure there will be days that I use it more or less but I don't see it being an issue. I would imagine that if you used it for maps or something then it could drain pretty quick. For most of the day it's a quick glance at the notification, deal with it and then move on. No long screen on times.

Thanks for reporting back! I suspect I can probably do one workout and get through rest of the day before flatlining, but there are multiple days of the week when I do my normal morning workout (70-90 minutes) and then I go to tae kwon do class at night. It's those days when I doubt I'll make it through. Since I have to shower after my morning workout anyway, throwing it on the charger isn't a huge deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh