Couldn't love it

manni1to

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I really wanted to. I'm very into the apple ecosystem (iPhone , MacBook , iPad) but I wore the watch for a week and then never put it back on.

It's a shame really. I wanted to like it. I just actually REALLY Like my plain , normal , boring watches.

Sigh.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm a watch wearer anyway so having something on my wrist that tells the time is just part of my life. Having the ability to not only do that but check the weather, read notifications, take phonecalls and send text messages etc is absolutely brilliant. I'm utterly sold on smartwatches, having never had one before.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm a watch wearer anyway so having something on my wrist that tells the time is just part of my life. Having the ability to not only do that but check the weather, read notifications, take phonecalls and send text messages etc is absolutely brilliant. I'm utterly sold on smartwatches, having never had one before.

I totally agree. I love this thing!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I really wanted to. I'm very into the apple ecosystem (iPhone , MacBook , iPad) but I wore the watch for a week and then never put it back on.

It's a shame really. I wanted to like it. I just actually REALLY Like my plain , normal , boring watches.

Sigh.

Bummer! I got my SS right before Christmas and wear it all day, every day. It's a shame though; I own some really nice watches and never wear them anymore. I really appreciate the added functionality and have a very busy schedule during the day. My watch lets me glance at my texts, emails, financial news (I work in finance), appointments, etc. I even have mine set to remind me to drink more water.
I'm in love with mine a month later.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Like you, I'm a watch wearer and have worn a watch since I was about 7 years old, so the  Watch and it's added functionality is a bonus for me. Still, it appears that a lot of people who were born in the mobile phone era aren't big on wearing watches. To them, reaching in their pocket to pull out their mobile phone to check the time is natural, but find wearing a wrist watch weird. I can twist my wrist to glance at the time quicker than I can pulling my iPhone out of my back pocket or cargo pocket (when at work), and then tapping on the home or power button to see the time, but hey, to each his or her own I suppose...:)

Last edited:

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Sigh.

One week really isn't enough time to appreciate or explore what the AW can do for you. On the other hand it's not a must have but a companion device IMO and it's certainly not for everyone.

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site

Sigh.

Don't feel bad. The AW definitely doesn't fit in everyone's lifestyle. I am a watch lover so now I have a watch that does more for me than tell time. It works for me, but I understand others not wanting it.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I'll ever buy an Apple Watch. I used to wear a watch because I needed to know the time and it provided an alarm; my phone makes wearing a watch unnecessary.

MikeH16

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
What's the edge of 6s plus from 6s in terms of apps upgrade or any new apps that iare ineteresting? I'm contemplating of buying a 6s plus.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
What's the edge of 6s plus from 6s in terms of apps upgrade or any new apps that iare ineteresting? I'm contemplating of buying a 6s plus.

Welcome to iMore! In terms of apps, you won't notice a difference outside of a few stock apps that take advantage of the additional screen real estate.
While this thread is focused on the Apple Watch, we have countless of other threads that discuss the differences between the two devices. Here's one of them:
Do you have an iPhone 6S Plus and wish you had the 6S?
http://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=354182
Take a look around and let us know if you have any questions!

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I like traditional watches and the AW..... I much prefer the looks of my traditional watches over the AW and miss wearing them, and yet really like having the functionality of the AW. What to do, what to do?

Currently.. I wear both. Works for now during the winter. Not sure I can pull it off in the summer. :)

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I like traditional watches and the AW..... I much prefer the looks of my traditional watches over the AW and miss wearing them, and yet really like having the functionality of the AW. What to do, what to do?

Currently.. I wear both. Works for now during the winter. Not sure I can pull it off in the summer. :)

I feel the same way!

I've decided to use my AW for productivity and wear my traditional watches for lunch/dinner/meetings/formal events etc..

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OP the Watch is not for everyone. We all have different tastes, needs, etc. The great thing is that even in a year if you still own it. You might find that after WatchOS adds new features and new devs create new apps that might change.
I grew up wearing a watch but when I got my first smartphone I stopped wearing one. I have other mechanical watches that I wear now and then or on special occasions. But they just couldn't get me back into the habit of wearing it everyday. Surprisingly the Watch did it. I had no problem strapping it on and enjoy wearing it. I also look at my other watches and feel bad because I don't wear them as much. But in a world of convenience they just don't do enough for me.
My 2 yr old son loves playing with my Watch. I think the new generation are the ones who are really going to make it popular. This will become their watch and if the Watch is as ubiquitous as a watch is for our generation that is huge!

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
image.jpegI liked mine from the start, but fell in love with it once I found a band that truly fits.

I am a small woman who has always worn a huge watch. Big stainless chrono, my grandfather's Rolex, etc. So it was always going to be 42mm for me (tried 38 and swapped in <week).

Problem is that none of Apple's bands work well on a small wrist. The link band, forget it. Milanese loop lapped itself with the tail hitting the watch crystal - and would not stay tight. I bought the Watch stainless with black classic buckle band, which was ok but not great. Even on tightest hole, it flopped around, and the long tail of band stuck out/ got caught on stuff.

Fast forward: would have bought Hermes except I was too early by about a week ( who knew THAT would be coming!). In search of Hermes- like cuff band, found several on Amazon.

The first one I tried changed my watch experience completely. For the first time, watch stays in place, stays in contact with my wrist, and is stable enough to use the crown as intended.

I still desperately want the Hermes watch, but suspect that even the Hermes band might be too big, if built to sizing specs of other Apple bands.

In the meantime, behold:

rws381

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
View attachment 102304I liked mine from the start, but fell in love with it once I found a band that truly fits.

I am a small woman who has always worn a huge watch. Big stainless chrono, my grandfather's Rolex, etc. So it was always going to be 42mm for me (tried 38 and swapped in <week).

Problem is that none of Apple's bands work well on a small wrist. The link band, forget it. Milanese loop lapped itself with the tail hitting the watch crystal - and would not stay tight. I bought the Watch stainless with black classic buckle band, which was ok but not great. Even on tightest hole, it flopped around, and the long tail of band stuck out/ got caught on stuff.

Fast forward: would have bought Hermes except I was too early by about a week ( who knew THAT would be coming!). In search of Hermes- like cuff band, found several on Amazon.

The first one I tried changed my watch experience completely. For the first time, watch stays in place, stays in contact with my wrist, and is stable enough to use the crown as intended.

I still desperately want the Hermes watch, but suspect that even the Hermes band might be too big, if built to sizing specs of other Apple bands.

In the meantime, behold:

If you are looking for another cuff option I can vouch for the Pad & Quill Lowry Cuff. It doesn't look like the Hermes but it is definitely a quality product. I've had mine since Christmas and wear it often.

Lowry Cuff Leather Apple Watch Band by Pad & Quill

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I had the AW 48hrs. before I sold it to a coworker...because, although I too am pretty much invested in the Apple ecosystem (iPhone 6s/iPad Air 2/MacBook Air) I questioned my need to be even more connected than I am, especially since it (at this juncture) basically mimics my iPhone in performance.

I'm also a "watch guy" that enjoys a nice collection of analog timepieces that I wear daily. I was also concerned that I would drink the smartwatch Koolaid and my other fairly pricey watches would gather dust.

Not saying I might not pull the trigger on the Gen-2 model...but for right now, it's just not for me either.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had mine for less than a day, but I can totally see how one person would love the AW and utilize many of it's functions and then I could see how someone could possibly not find a use for it. It is way too early in the smartwatch life for the percentage of users to be very high. Just remember that it was't that long ago that people didn't think they had a use for a smartphone. Some still feel that way I suppose, but you get the point.

That being said, I have been able to leave my phone on the desk or in my pocket most of the morning. I quickly respond to a text or acknowledge a notification and move on with what I'm doing. Only been a few hours of use, but so far so good.

G1DRP

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
I wore mine constantly for 5 weeks but it now lives in flight mode and I just wear it in bed as it wakes me up nice and gently in the mornings. If it wasn't for its excellent alarm, I would have sold it ages ago.
I have quite a collection of watches and they are all traditional mechanical watches. I may well have stuck with my AW if it had been stainless steel rather than grey aluminium.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73