Should I wait to get the new Watch or get the current version now?

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Same here.

I might have to choose between the iPhone 7 Plus or the Watch 2 if they both come out this Fall.

I just signed a 24 mths mobile plan for the 6s Plus a couple of mths back so will only have to wait for 7s Plus. So if Watch 2 is out this year, might jump on it depending if the upgrade if worth it.

Sander Soots

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting the Apple Watch, it's more of a want than a need.

Should I wait until September? Or get one now?
Now?
Are you happy with what you would get from apple atm if you had to say, use it for 2 years? I find the activity tracker (helps me not get too fat, sleep++ even helps me sleep properly), notification centre (do i need to act on it or can i ignore it?), apps (authy on wrist for 2 factor, currency calculator on trip, weather reports) and changable bands to be enough for me atm. There are also novelety features such as take your phonecall on your watch (wich unless you are alone in quiet is bad idea) or put the call on hold while you ansfer on your phone (quite nice) and ability to use watch as viewfinder for iphone camera but I feel that besides tring them out few times they are not gonna entertain for long. Lifeline games are cool and so is Spy_Watch but thats about where cool games end IMHO. I'm betting on more watchfaces and better os features in the future, but atm, as it stands, this is okay. It's only competitor in my eyes is MS Band 2 and unless you are looking for more sports toy than watch you can't go wrong. In Estonia we don't have apple pay, nor do we have normal apps for mass transit to use on wrist so the uses are limited, so if previous stuff was not enough, see how it fares in your region for addional services.

Future?
For me, there is no question, that this watch is worth it's money (got black sports watch) and I don't want to wait because honestly I don't see how they can improve from here very much. Facetime camera would be awesome but I can't figure out where to put it (in the front for facetime video? I don't have the strenght to hold my hand infront on my mouth for over few minutes anyway, if we put it into edge, then it might be good for showing but not much else and there will be no swivel for shure). Battery life really isn't a problem. Sensors? Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Heart Rate (optical) are there, I would love to get altimeter (for stairs) and skin temperature sensors in there. If we go crazy then why not Ambient Light, UV, Barometer and Compass? I don't really have problem with watch being tethered to my iPhone so I don't care if it has builtin gps or not, aslong as they fix it in software - my iPhone should be able to share gps to ipad or apple watch.

TL:DR
Putting it together in other words I'm happy with my current watch and unless they add ****loads of new sensors onto it, waterproofing for swimming, making it bigger, adding battery life etc all in the same time I will skip the next apple watch and stay with what I have. Most of the issues seem to me in software not hardware. Unless you are not happy with what is being in offered, I would just go and buy.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Now?
Are you happy with what you would get from apple atm if you had to say, use it for 2 years? I find the activity tracker (helps me not get too fat, sleep++ even helps me sleep properly), notification centre (do i need to act on it or can i ignore it?), apps (authy on wrist for 2 factor, currency calculator on trip, weather reports) and changable bands to be enough for me atm. There are also novelety features such as take your phonecall on your watch (wich unless you are alone in quiet is bad idea) or put the call on hold while you ansfer on your phone (quite nice) and ability to use watch as viewfinder for iphone camera but I feel that besides tring them out few times they are not gonna entertain for long. Lifeline games are cool and so is Spy_Watch but thats about where cool games end IMHO. I'm betting on more watchfaces and better os features in the future, but atm, as it stands, this is okay. It's only competitor in my eyes is MS Band 2 and unless you are looking for more sports toy than watch you can't go wrong. In Estonia we don't have apple pay, nor do we have normal apps for mass transit to use on wrist so the uses are limited, so if previous stuff was not enough, see how it fares in your region for addional services.

Future?
For me, there is no question, that this watch is worth it's money (got black sports watch) and I don't want to wait because honestly I don't see how they can improve from here very much. Facetime camera would be awesome but I can't figure out where to put it (in the front for facetime video? I don't have the strenght to hold my hand infront on my mouth for over few minutes anyway, if we put it into edge, then it might be good for showing but not much else and there will be no swivel for shure). Battery life really isn't a problem. Sensors? Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Heart Rate (optical) are there, I would love to get altimeter (for stairs) and skin temperature sensors in there. If we go crazy then why not Ambient Light, UV, Barometer and Compass? I don't really have problem with watch being tethered to my iPhone so I don't care if it has builtin gps or not, aslong as they fix it in software - my iPhone should be able to share gps to ipad or apple watch.

Putting it together in other words I'm happy with my current watch and unless they add ****loads of new sensors onto it, waterproofing for swimming, making it bigger, adding battery life etc all in the same time I will skip the next apple watch and stay with what I have. Most of the issues seem to me in software not hardware. Unless you are not happy with what is being in offered, I would just go and buy.

Well said! I tried reading that in one breath and almost died.
Welcome to iMore!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Now?

Future?

Thank you for the input!

I did end up getting one :p

Oh and welcome to iMore!

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Apple Watch

Love it!

The battery life is also great so far. Planning to get a leather strap for it, but might wait until March.

Which one are you rocking on your wrist?

Space grey sports watch! It has a protector all the way around. I'm wondering if I should switch from whatever this plastic protector is to tempered glass but I was definitely worried that it wouldn't work well with force touch.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Space grey sports watch! It has a protector all the way around. I'm wondering if I should switch from whatever this plastic protector is to tempered glass but I was definitely worried that it wouldn't work well with force touch.

Tempered glass would be nicer imo. It should work just fine with force touch :)

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

Force Touch should work.

bilbothejust

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Totally agree. I originally bought a Sport 42mm in April '15 and sold it in July '15 because the software and performance were not very compelling...and I quietly awaited an announcement for when/if an Apple Watch 2 would surface in early '16.

So, I've been following blogs and this site ever since, gathering info for the software and hardware of the Watch 2 and OS 2.2. After the recent announcement that the Watch 2 wouldn't be until Sept '16 I figured since Amazon has some great prices on the 42mm Sport I would not wait for the Watch 2. The software is catching up to the hardware. So in a few days I'll be sporting a Gen 1 Sport and for the price? Perfect.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Totally agree. I originally bought a Sport 42mm in April '15 and sold it in July '15 because the software and performance were not very compelling...and I quietly awaited an announcement for when/if an Apple Watch 2 would surface in early '16.

So, I've been following blogs and this site ever since, gathering info for the software and hardware of the Watch 2 and OS 2.2. After the recent announcement that the Watch 2 wouldn't be until Sept '16 I figured since Amazon has some great prices on the 42mm Sport I would not wait for the Watch 2. The software is catching up to the hardware. So in a few days I'll be sporting a Gen 1 Sport and for the price? Perfect.

Grats!

I got mine the moment the rumors said that it won't launch in early 2016.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Thank you!

Next time, I'll save up for the stainless steel :D

I do love the aluminium Space Grey on the Sport :)

The space black SS is soooo sexy I love mine
b67a6ec1e0e30772dbeafaa9141421c1.jpg

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I was considering waiting for the next version but I couldn't hold off. I bought the sport in space grey with the black band. Some guy was selling it brand new never opened on Ebay for $300 - free shipping. I effing love this thing. The OLED is beautiful, the sport band is so comfortable (especially compared to the leather band on the Moto 360 2nd gen that I was wearing before), the notifications work wonderfully and overall it's just a great experience.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I was considering waiting for the next version but I couldn't hold off. I bought the sport in space grey with the black band. Some guy was selling it brand new never opened on Ebay for $300 - free shipping. I effing love this thing. The OLED is beautiful, the sport band is so comfortable (especially compared to the leather band on the Moto 360 2nd gen that I was wearing before), the notifications work wonderfully and overall it's just a great experience.

Enjoy your new watch! The sport bands are definitely comfortable :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen