Apple Watch - what's a good fitness app for the gym?

steven2014

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Apple Watch - At the gym

Hi guys,

I bought myself an Apple Watch Sport and I am just wondering how the activity / fitness app would work at the gym.
For example if I was doing a cycle on a stationary bike ? Or cross trainer. Does it still track distance / activity etc ?

Thanks
Steve

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Apple Watch - At the gym

Not sure because I don't use the stationary bike for fitness, but when I run in a treadmill, it can track the distance, but it's a tad inaccurate on occasions.

neatfreakgeek

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

You tell it the type of exercise you're doing via the Workout app, then it uses a specific algorithm to track your distance, time, heart rate and calories burned.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

If, like me you're a walker (I do 5 miles 7 days/wk at my gym on indoor track) you just do an outdoor walk for at least 20 minutes accompanied by your phone and it will use the phones GPS to calibrate your stride. I've found it to be quite accurate.

beeray

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

I use my watch for spin. Not very accurate for distance at all. My bike said I did 15 miles, watch said 2 miles. A heart rate strap is muc more accurate than the watch

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't expect it to be very accurate for spinning, really now way to measure anything unless perhaps strapped to your ankle lol. As to the heart, yeah, I'd expect a strap would be more accurate.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

If, like me you're a walker (I do 5 miles 7 days/wk at my gym on indoor track) you just do an outdoor walk for at least 20 minutes accompanied by your phone and it will use the phones GPS to calibrate your stride. I've found it to be quite accurate.

Yes, i've found this to be the case too.

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Will the aw calibrate itself w the phone automatically or do I need to tell it to do this? When I run I without my phone using my aw, I find it be fairly accurate considering it does not use GPS.

ab21au

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site

I did several indoor walks and was surprised how accurate it was. About 30m diff in 5km. Then I did some outdoor walks which use the phone gps so we're accurate. But after this, the next couple of indoor walks were inaccurate. Since then, the more indoor walks I do, the closer the distance match. So it must be gradually recalibrating the distance. Overall I am extremely happy with the accuracy but am confused why the walks outdoor didn't help the indoor calibration.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Will the aw calibrate itself w the phone automatically or do I need to tell it to do this? When I run I without my phone using my aw, I find it be fairly accurate considering it does not use GPS.
It's automatic, as long as you save the outdoor walk rather than delete it.