Cyber Monday Deception?

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I was blown away when I saw a deal for the Apple Watch advertised on B&H Photography where they touted $100 off the regular price of the watch, plus a $50 B&H Photo gift card.

So, I bought a 38mm Stainless Steel with White Sport Band. B&H said the List Price for this watch was $599, and they discounted it $100 to $499.

I thought this was a steal, until I started looking at Apple Watch prices other places, including the Apple web site. ALL OF THEM show a regular price of $549 - not $599 !! So I got on the B&H Customer Service Chat and had a little argument with the sales guy. He claims that $599 is the "List Price" from Apple, but I can't find that price listed anywhere. Is this true, or am I right that the actual LIST price is $549? I really want to find out, because if I'm right I think this is really deceptive.

Thanks!

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
It's not really deceptive it's just them increasing to meet their profit margin.. Plus there are some places that show a $50-100 to make it seem like your getting a deal when your really not. I would check back in a few weeks to see if there price increase or stays the same

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Gotta shop around before buying. You still got a $50 discount off the $549 price.

True, but this is still deceptive. All the Apple News web sites were touting it as this amazing deal. It made B&H look cheaper than the other retailers, when they really weren't. It's the principle of the thing that bugs me, not the money...

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not really deceptive it's just them increasing to meet their profit margin.. Plus there are some places that show a $50-100 to make it seem like your getting a deal when your really not. I would check back in a few weeks to see if there price increase or stays the same

If the phone representative claims that $599 is Apple's list price for the 38mm version that's deceptive regardless of how it's spinned. Any business that inflates its prices over MSRP and then offers rebates to make it look like customers are getting a good deal is engaging in deception and it should honestly be illegal, IMHO.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
True, but this is still deceptive. All the Apple News web sites were touting it as this amazing deal. It made B&H look cheaper than the other retailers, when they really weren't. It's the principle of the thing that bugs me, not the money...

Yeah, I didn't say it wasn't deceptive. It's why I suggested shopping around. Lessons learned.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
If the phone representative claims that $599 is Apple's list price for the 38mm version that's deceptive regardless of how it's spinned. Any business that inflates its prices over MSRP and then offers rebates to make it look like customers are getting a good deal is engaging in deception and it should honestly be illegal, IMHO.

True I can agree to that. But it happens in many places that I have seen online. Just like led said, it's better to look around and know all of your prices before committing.

Plus the prices they may have on their devices is like shopping at qvc or fingerhut

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
It's called "marketing". I've been in sales/marketing for 35-years, and virtually everybody lists their "discounts" from the original manufacturers suggested retail price. The item may have a rebate from the manufacturer back to the customer...or most likely to the retailer, and it will be included in the discount price given. Deceptive? Maybe. False advertising...hardly. I'm not saying that B&H Photography...or whoever, is totally blameless but it's done every day by virtually every advertising retailer in this country.

Ledsteplin is right. We have the opportunity, with the internet, to shop before we jump into a purchase. To not do so is to guarantee a case of buyer's remorse every time.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
It's called "marketing". I've been in sales/marketing for 35-years, and virtually everybody lists their "discounts" from the original manufacturers suggested retail price. The item may have a rebate from the manufacturer back to the customer...or most likely to the retailer, and it will be included in the discount price given. Deceptive? Maybe. False advertising...hardly. I'm not saying that B&H Photography...or whoever, is totally blameless but it's done every day by virtually every advertising retailer in this country.

Ledsteplin is right. We have the opportunity, with the internet, to shop before we jump into a purchase. To not do so is to guarantee a case of buyer's remorse every time.

But Apple's suggested retail price is $549, not $599. So, it is false advertising.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
921900f7893953eacdb4039400eede37.jpg

As he said up above it is a marketing strategy.. This is newegg a company that I usually buy from and they do the same thing. So if you don't know the prices yourself as the consumer you are taking it as a loss.

That's the same as going to a store a buying something that has a mail-in rebate and you not sending it in. your loss their gain.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73