Does your AW cause your other watches to sit dormant?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
This is a funny question...but, here goes. I am a "watch guy". Not really a collector...but I enjoy wearing a really nice watch. I have several Tag Heuers, a couple Breitlings, a Panerai & a Rolex. They aren't brand new, and lest anybody thinks I'm a rich or arrogant jerk...I shop hard, and only buy if I can get a "deal"...and that's because I'm not monied enough to pay retail for these things! ;)

My question is for fellow "watch guys"...since there's a lot of us out there. Do you find that your other analog watches sit & gather dust now that you have an Apple Watch? I am on the fence about buying the AW, and a huge reason is because I'm afraid I'll get so "attached" to it that I won't use my other timepieces.

If I do end up going to the AW, my choice is definitely going to be the 42mm SS model just so I won't compromise too much. Lol!

Thanks for humoring me.

Last edited:

bboykin87

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes my other watches sit and gather dust after I've got the apple watch. The only time I use a different watch is when I go hunting I use my G shock. My girlfriend is mad because she purchased most of my watches as gifts and they just sit there.

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
So far, yeah. I now have three bands for my Apple Watch, and they take care of each scenario (casual, active, formal, etc..)

Pair the different bands with changing faces from casual to formal, and it's all I need!

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered my AW but I'm kind of afraid of the same thing. I have about 10 watches that I currently rotate through and I'm sure they won't get much use unless I have an important meeting for work... And even then I think I might be able to slide by with a nicer band. Maybe on a date I would wear a normal watch lol

Terb

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
My story sounds almost like yours, TLD1. Since the day I received my Apple Watch, I have yet to wear any another watches.
Sure that will finally change, but for now I plan on sticking with Apple Watch :)

Agpe17

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
You guys are not making a great case for me buying an AW, you know that? Lol! :)

Haha I know it. I was on the fence about getting one for quite some time. I decided to treat myself (for once). Haven't looked back.

Make sure you get at least one or two more bands if you get an AW. It really does make all the difference!

bigdad84

May 17, 2012
Visit site
All my other watches collect dust now. The thought of wearing a "dumb watch" doesn't even appeal to me. I tried it one day after having had my Apple Watch for a couple of weeks and every time I felt my phone vibrate I had the urge to look at my watch and see what it was. Definately not going back now!

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I really like pocket watches but mine are just collecting dust now that I have Apple Watch. I've seen a few people do mods to their smart watches to make them pocket watches and I suppose I should look into that.

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Do you find that your other analog watches sit & gather dust now that you have an Apple Watch?

No. In fact, my Apple Watch makes me appreciate the beauty of my other watches even more. I pay much more attention to the craftsmanship of my Rolex now than I ever did before I got an Apple Watch.

I don't miss my Apple Watch at all when I don't wear it, either--like today.

runner7395

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if I'm a watch guy or not but I do own a couple Rolex watches. My first, GMTII, I wore every day for over 10 years not matter what I was doing. From scuba diving to wearing a suit the Rolex always looked that part which is one of the reasons I love it. Then I purchased the Rolex "Hulk" because you know, I love green! So I went back and forth between those 2. Being an Apple guy I had to get the Apple Watch as soon as it came out so the Rolexes went into the safe, at least for a couple months. Then it seemed the Apple Watch wasn't doing it for me, as a watch that is, I missed my Rolex. The thing is, I love the notifications & the fitness aspects of the Apple Watch. So I put down the A/W and put back on the Rolex and boy did it feel great again. The only thing I missed was the getting notifications and trying to close those circles every day! So here is my solution........ I wear 2 watches, yes you read the correctly, I wear 2 watches. (My wife thinks I've lost my mind) So now I get to wear my Rolex which I truly love wearing and get my notifications and the fitness recording with the A/W. I'm just glad it's winter so I can wear long sleeves so nobody really sees me wearing a watch on each wrist.

For that reason, I really wish Apple would come out with a Apple Band, or whatever they would call it. That way for those of us who have other watches that we like better we can wear those and still get all of the benefits provided by the Apple Watch. I still remember being disappointed when they unveiled the Apple Watch, I wanted all of the benefits of it just not in a watch.

So I guess I will carry on like today with the "Hulk" on one wrist & my Apple Watch on the other :cant-watch:

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if I'm a watch guy or not but I do own a couple Rolex watches. My first, GMTII, I wore every day for over 10 years not matter what I was doing. From scuba diving to wearing a suit the Rolex always looked that part which is one of the reasons I love it. Then I purchased the Rolex "Hulk" because you know, I love green! So I went back and forth between those 2. Being an Apple guy I had to get the Apple Watch as soon as it came out so the Rolexes went into the safe, at least for a couple months. Then it seemed the Apple Watch wasn't doing it for me, as a watch that is, I missed my Rolex. The thing is, I love the notifications & the fitness aspects of the Apple Watch. So I put down the A/W and put back on the Rolex and boy did it feel great again. The only thing I missed was the getting notifications and trying to close those circles every day! So here is my solution........ I wear 2 watches, yes you read the correctly, I wear 2 watches. (My wife thinks I've lost my mind) So now I get to wear my Rolex which I truly love wearing and get my notifications and the fitness recording with the A/W. I'm just glad it's winter so I can wear long sleeves so nobody really sees me wearing a watch on each wrist.

For that reason, I really wish Apple would come out with a Apple Band, or whatever they would call it. That way for those of us who have other watches that we like better we can wear those and still get all of the benefits provided by the Apple Watch. I still remember being disappointed when they unveiled the Apple Watch, I wanted all of the benefits of it just not in a watch.

So I guess I will carry on like today with the "Hulk" on one wrist & my Apple Watch on the other :cant-watch:

Hmmm...never heard of a Rolex "Hulk". Are you talking about the 50th Anniversary Submariner with the green face and bezel?

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I have 6 watches and I only wore 2 regularly. Since I got the Apple Watch, I've only worn one on one day. My AW is my go-to now.

runner7395

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Yep. It's the 50th Anniversary Submariner. It should have a ceramic bezel. Nice watch, bud! I just never heard it called the "Hulk" before, lol! :)

Is that clear plastic I see covering the clasp cover that is sticking up behind the watch face because of how it's sitting?

No it just looks like it in the photo. I didn't realize it had a nickname until I got interested in getting one and doing some research. Obviously the name suits it well :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, to the thread question. I have several watches, but I've not worn any of them since getting the Watch back in May.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm was on the fence for this same reason but I need that Hermes edition bad and I don't think it'll make my other watches sit dormant. I'm so detached from my device nowadays that I couldn't care less about a notification. I also only care about my BP, HR & steps during certain workouts. I'll give y'all an update once I get it & have used it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods