How Many of You Shower or Expose Apple Watch to Liquid Regularly?

Matt-B

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I wear mine in the shower daily to control music. I have also worn it in the pool a couple of times, but stopped as the activity tracking for laps isn't great. I still keep it at the side of the pool to control music and I use it with wet hands all the time.

The biggest issue with Apple Watches and water is that the touchscreen doesn't work well when wet.

For exposure to water (sweating, splashes, falling in water etc.) it handles it with ease, you have nothing to worry about.

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
With all due respect. But I see no reason to wear my watch in the shower. I mean. Why?

lol, why not? Perhaps some of us just don't want to go to the trouble of unlocking it again, yeah I know that's being lazy but at my age I've earned the right to be lazy :biggrin: with ipx7 rating it certainly does no harm

cessex

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
See...for me it's not lazy at all. I like to listen to music when I get ready for work. Mid shower...or shaving...there is nothing quite like "hey Siri...skip this song...or play this song." Its a very nice perk!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I use to shower with it on but after I had the touch screen fail I decided to just take it off ... Although It was never proven water was the cause and no evidence even suggested water I just didn't risk it again

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Haven't showered with it yet and doubt I ever will. I just don't see the point, even if it can handle it. That's just me.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't gone swimming or showered with my watch but it did get soaked for a couple of hours at an outdoor concert. I had no problems with that. One of my original fears with the watch was rain and what would happen if I got caught in a major storm. That is no longer a concern for me.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Now for a contrary opinion. I've had my watch for just over six months now. Every morning after my workout, I've briefly rinsed it under the faucet to remove the sweat, then dried it off with a towel. Everything was fine until last weekend, when I noticed no chirp when I placed it on the charger after drying it off. No sounds were making it out of the speaker holes for up to six hours later. If I held the watch up to my ear, I could hear a very faint sound, but it was certainly not useful.

After several days of this behavior, I took it into the Apple Store for a checkup. They ran diagnostics on the watch and determined that electronically it was fine. Since they cannot swap out watches in the store, they directed me to call in to AppleCare, which I did.

Even though the watch is rated at IPX7 (30 minutes at 1meter underwater) at time of sale, the seal is expected to degrade over time. So, Apple explicitly says to not regularly run water over the watch, as I had been doing to rinse off the sweat daily. They initiated a replacement for me under my AppleCare+ warranty, and billed my credit card $79.

Apple says to use a damp cloth to wipe the sweat off the watch, then dry it with a lint free cloth.

So, don't be too cavalier getting your watch wet. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2