Nightstand mode

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not that I'm aware of. The only time it stays lit is a few minutes prior to an alarm time. Tapping the table or the slightly moving the watch itself will cause the display to illuminate briefly to provide you with the time.

manonthemoon

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
To me that is not nightstand mode if I have to do something to see the time. I want so when I wake up I can look over and see the time without doing anything. Heck I could tap the screen before to get the time.

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
To me that is not nightstand mode if I have to do something to see the time. I want so when I wake up I can look over and see the time without doing anything. Heck I could tap the screen before to get the time.

The difference is that the watch acceleration sensors are ON and ACTIVE during Bedside Mode. So, instead of having to touch the watch face to show the display, you can literally 'BUMP' the nitestand it's resting on. Try it...

I just realized something. If you're on a ship at sea, tossing in a mid to heavy sea, the sensor display activation MIGHT mean that it would activate sporadically. Which THen leads me to think that you could design a DYNAMIC watch stand, one that moves almost imperceptibly, but just enough to activate the display, making it stay ON continuously.

OK. That's my brainstorming thought of the day...:cool:

Last edited:

WST88

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

I agree, I wish it was designed to always be on. If I tap the watch, there is a chance of knocking it off the charger...

Tony Blunt

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I had hoped this would be always on - having to reach out in the dark, half asleep, to tap the watch is not a good idea. Make it always on, perhaps somewhat dimmer, and perhaps moving around the screen to avoid burn-in if that is an issue.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping for it to stay on so that I could see the time all the time.

I was hoping for that as well. Apple didn't design it that way and I'm sure there's reason behind it. It is very easy to wake your watch up though. It comes on for me when I nudge my nightstand and even when I lightly tap the surface next to where my watch is.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205045

Last edited:

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
If they do make it stay on, then I hope that's an option. I try to remove any light in the room when sleeping (sleep masks just aren't my friend). Phone is on DND and face down, all power strips/etc. are under the bed, black out curtains, etc. The glow from nightstand mode is quite stark in this environment, and I can always tap the nightstand if i need to check current time.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73