Apple Watch Sport Hairline Scratch on Face

iOSConvert2k14

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I have the 42mm sport and I noticed that the middle of the watch face has a small hairline scratch. The scratch isn't very large but I wonder if it came from all the times I have been using Apple Pay recently. Anyways, is this something I can fix myself or should I pony up the $69 repair through my AppleCare? I saw a video of a guy removing a scratch similar to mine using toothpaste but I fear that doing such a thing would remove my oleophobic coat.

Will post a picture later tonight.

Thanks for any input!

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used  Pay with my watch yet. Do you have to touch the reader for it to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
According to the  Watch guide you just need to hold it a close to the reader.
"?Pay for a purchase. Double-click the side button, swipe to change cards, then hold Apple*Watch within a few centimeters of the contactless card reader, with the display facing the reader. A gentle pulse and tone confirm the payment information was sent.?

Excerpt From: Apple Inc. ?Apple Watch User Guide.? Apple Inc., 2015. iBooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the face has to make contact with the reader. Sometimes it takes multiple taps to read, depending on where the reader is.

No it does not. I have used Pay on numerous occasions on both my Watch and my iPhone and I have not had to touch the reader to get it to work.

iOSConvert2k14

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Strange. Just today it took me three attempts at Panera before it registered. Maybe it's different with different terminals? Or maybe I'm holding it at a weird angle.

iOSConvert2k14

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Well, today I learned that I need not put my Apple Watch through any more unnecessary bumps. Any thoughts on how to get rid of the scratch?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Strange. Just today it took me three attempts at Panera before it registered. Maybe it's different with different terminals? Or maybe I'm holding it at a weird angle.

Keep in mind that the sales clerk may have to select an option on the register to initiate the Pay option.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Keep in mind that the sales clerk may have to select an option on the register to initiate the Pay option.

Also Panera's terminals are huge and the NFC reader is in like the bottom right corner I believe. So if you're just putting it in the middle of the screen it's not going to work.

The Lannisters send their regards.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2