Apple Watch Screen - How's it holding up?

nmburns

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am planning on buying an Apple Watch later this week. I am curious how your screen has been holding up against scratches and other wear and tear. I'm trying to decide if I want to step up to the Watch version for the sapphire screen or if the screen on the Sport version is sturdy/resilient enough.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

andrwstw

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm so clumsy, knocking my apple watch sport on door frames, walls, etc. Still looks like new though with no scratches/damage

rayzaname

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
No surprise here, but the sapphire screen on mine is flawless after being dropped, bumped, scraped, and worn during workouts. I'm doubtful it'll get scratched/damaged at any point in time, but still got AppleCare+ if anything were to happen.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Sport - I have had no issues with the screen, and I still don't have any scratches. (I've had my Apple Watch from launch day.)

nmburns

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everybody! I think I'm going to get the Sport and buy Apple Care instead of spending the extra few hundred bucks for the Watch version. Sounds like the Sport screen is pretty tough and well-made (not surprising since it IS an Apple product). I initially heard sapphire and immediately thought I had to have it to prevent scratches.

I can't wait to buy it!

akar33

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the sport and it seems to have held well for the 2 weeks I've had it and I went hiking, dinner and work with it.

The one thing I am concerned about though is the back - the heart rate monitor. The back seems to catch scratches fairly easily. I have a link bracelet for the sport and if I let the links rest on the composite back, I do see minor scratches. I don't know if the ceramic back fares any better.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I've had my Sport since launch day 4/24. Not a single scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I've had a Sport since launch day, and it has 5-6 small hairline scratches on the display that are only noticeable when placed in direct light.

nmburns

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the sport and it seems to have held well for the 2 weeks I've had it and I went hiking, dinner and work with it.

The one thing I am concerned about though is the back - the heart rate monitor. The back seems to catch scratches fairly easily. I have a link bracelet for the sport and if I let the links rest on the composite back, I do see minor scratches. I don't know if the ceramic back fares any better.

Do all the sport ones come with the same type of back material? And you only get a diff material if you upgrade to the Watch edition?

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, the sensor area on the back of the Watch is the same on all models.

I've had my sport since early June. I wear it with a screen protector and a slim case. There are no scratches on the screen (thanks to the protection) or the back of the Watch. I do have 2 small scratches on the body just below the screen. This happened on a day where I was playing with my nephews and nieces at a family BBQ. The cover I had on my watch fell off and was lost while I was playing Frisbee. I still have no idea how the scratches happened. I don't remember bumping the watch on anything. My best guess is it got hit by the Frisbee at some point. I personally don't think the Space Grey finish is that durable. If I had it to do again, I'd probably go for the silver aluminum because I don't think it would show the scratches as much.

nmburns

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, the sensor area on the back of the Watch is the same on all models.

I've had my sport since early June. I wear it with a screen protector and a slim case. There are no scratches on the screen (thanks to the protection) or the back of the Watch. I do have 2 small scratches on the body just below the screen. This happened on a day where I was playing with my nephews and nieces at a family BBQ. The cover I had on my watch fell off and was lost while I was playing Frisbee. I still have no idea how the scratches happened. I don't remember bumping the watch on anything. My best guess is it got hit by the Frisbee at some point. I personally don't think the Space Grey finish is that durable. If I had it to do again, I'd probably go for the silver aluminum because I don't think it would show the scratches as much.

Which screen protector do you use?

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a Stainless Steel Watch with the Milanese Band and have had it since 9:05am on launch day. I use no protection whatsoever and the screen is absolutely flawless; however, the casing and the steel magnetic piece of the band that latches have a few light scratches, but those are easily buffed out.

Good luck with you purchase.

jimkraz

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
nmburns - The stainless steel and gold come with ceramic rear to watch, the sport comes with composite, it makes for a lighter watch, I have had mine since late April, no scratches, no dings and no problems.

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

Apple lists the back material as "composite" (whatever that means) on the Sport model, and "ceramic" on the other two models.

Dafter

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I have own the 42mm Apple Watch Sport for few months and it's still like a new. Zero scratches. I'm really impressed, even that it get bumped to doors and corners, it's still like new. :)

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have both the SS and Sport watches and both are pristine. Not a scratch on either face and the SS casing has normal wear marks that you get in a polished SS finish.

Either will be fine, just treat them well, like any good jewelry.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh