Goodbye Apple Watch - Why I Sold It...

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
....and why I may be regretting it.

So about 6 weeks ago I finally managed to get my hands on an Apple Watch. It was the first day of in-store availability and since it was in-stock locally, I canceled my online order and reserved a spot to pick one up. The whole process was seamless, albeit a little dry and somewhat unprofessional (I could tell the guy that helped me was probably done with the job mentally.)

Once I got it all setup, I began to wonder if this purchase was a sane one. It was the first time I purchased an Apple product and questioned it and ultimately blamed it on the hype. Nonetheless, I tried it out and wrote a pretty positive review on here and continued to use it from there on.

However, as of the past 2 or so weeks, I've caught myself using it less and less. One day I even left it in my drawer and went about my day and didn't even care if I had it or not. It was at that point that I began to contemplate my ownership of the Watch. I began to think about my daily activities much more in-depth and how the Apple Watch has (or has not) helped me do them. When it was all said and done I came to the conclusion that the novelty and hype wore off and I was 100% over the Apple Watch.

Now, in what scenarios was the Apple Watch TRULY useful for me; If I was driving and I had my iPhone playing music, I'd use my Watch to change the song. I hated having to pick up my phone to do so. If I was driving and I received a Facebook Message or iMessage, I'd use it to quickly glance at them. If a call came in and I was driving (noticing a pattern here?) I would use it to see who's calling, with this part being not all that useful since my car has bluetooth. It only became handy if for some odd reason my iPhone hadn't automatically paired to my car.

So while the Watch had it's uses aside from being in the car, for the most part it's biggest use was there. Having it track my movements was neat, but I used Strava on my iPhone for when I run or bike. Also, all the app extensions to my existing iPhone apps never really felt....right. By that I mean that while they COULD be useful, they generally weren't. Their limitations were substantial and they didn't lead me to use my iPhone all that much differently. I still used my banking app on my iPhone, still used Maps on my iPhone, still did just about everything through there. Whether it was just subconsciously or not, I defaulted to my iPhone and the Apple Watch never really played a big role.

So about 2 days ago I decided to sell it and within a few hours of posting it on Craigslist, I had a buyer. My phone was bombarded with offers, but I got relatively close to what I paid, so my losses weren't that big.

I'd have the watch on almost every day and people would always ask me "how is it?" and my answers was always the same...

"It's cool, but the novelty wore off and now it's just there most of the time."

Now, do I regret selling it? Just a bit. I did get used to it being on my wrist and when I began using my MK watches, it felt like I was putting on a damn brick on my wrist. The wristband also felt so much more uncomfortable than the Watch, which is a big pat on the back to Apple because the Watch never felt out of place on my wrist. It was comfortable, snug and easy to look at. But overall, I'm happy with my decision and it gave me a few hundred bucks in my pocket to use elsewhere, on things I'd probably get more use out of or enjoy more.

It also helps that this weekend is my birthday, so more cash to splurge at the bar! :beer: :beer:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Nice review. Thanks! You're probably not alone. I don't wear mine that much. I'm a retired homebody. I do play with it a lot though.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
What I found is that I don't push myself to use my watch it just happens a lot by the way but if I went a whole day just using it as a watch that's ok too

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
OMG, funny how I was reading this post and I felt like you were talking about me, even though I haven't regretted selling mine. I had the watch for about 5 weeks and I was extremely excited at the beginning since I'm a big watch guy and an Apple fan, what a perfect combination right?
First impressions were very good, the cool factor in this watch is undeniable, very well made and it fit much better than I thought, as others recommended ( and I do this with my iPhone too ) I disabled all notifications except for emails and text messages, used a few applications here and there but I found the interfaces lacking ( I know this the norm and this will get better later this year ), I also avoid using the apps screen like crazy, I don't know you guys but that screen full of icons didn't really feel like it belonged in the watch, I stayed in the face and glances screens 99.9% of the time.
About two weeks later I forgot to wear the watch for a day or two and I didn't miss it at all, in my particular case I have my iPhone on my desk, hand or near me at home 95% of the time, so I didn't find the notifications on the watch that useful nor they were saving me any time by getting them on the watch first. Like you, I loved the music glance and this was probably the most used feature for me.

I know this might sound strange but I never really felt like I was wearing a watch on my wrist, it felt more like a tiny cellphone, I just never really had a connection with this device.
Three weeks later I disabled notifications for emails and messages and by the 4th week I was using the watch for pretty basic stuff like time, date, chronograph, etc, I felt like I was pushing myself to use it and that's not the idea so I decided to get rid of it.
I might give the next generation a try and I'm sure it will only get better, more efficient and faster over time, but right now I'm back to my old traditional watches.

Last edited:

suprmanx7

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I see what you mean. I strongly believe those that engage in working out everyday or use it for fitness, this watch would be harder to get rid of. It's a great tracker. I've used it as such and i can honestly say i dont think i could go back without it or something like it.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Fitness tracking is the primary use for me. Managing text/iMessage, calendar events, and email notifications are a close 2nd. For the few times I've had a call come in and be able to take it on the Watch, that has worked well. Like Gaucho mentioned above, I rarely use any of the other native or limited few 3rd party apps that are installed.

Shantek

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I've been through a stack of wearable for all different platforms. Been interested in checking out an Apple Watch, but just can't justify the cost

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review and feedback! You were braver than me since I can't even bring myself to buy one to try. It's an awesome concept, I just don't see myself utilizing it very much.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I get the feeling that some folks go into buying an Apple Watch (or any smartwatch for that matter) thinking that it's going to somehow change their lives, they're going to meet Jesus, dogs will play with them, and their erectile disfunction will be cured. Now when none of those things turn out to be true they get super disappointed, sell their watches, and come to iMore telling everybody how MEH their Apple Watch turned out to be.
Lets be fair, the Apple Watch is a companion piece for the iPhone that does everything Apple said it would do fairly well. Being an early adopter of smartwatches in general I feel my expectations were properly set, and I love the Apple Watch. I'm already getting excited to see what Apple does with this Wearable Technology. There's no doubt it will evolve, just as there is no comparison of a first Gen. iPhone to a iPhone 6 plus, but at this point only time will tell (See what I did there) ...

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I get the feeling that some folks go into buying an Apple Watch (or any smartwatch for that matter) thinking that it's going to somehow change their lives, they're going to meet Jesus, dogs will play with them, and their erectile disfunction will be cured. Now when none of those things turn out to be true they get super disappointed, sell their watches, and come to iMore telling everybody how MEH their Apple Watch turned out to be.
Lets be fair, the Apple Watch is a companion piece for the iPhone that does everything Apple said it would do fairly well. Being an early adopter of smartwatches in general I feel my expectations were properly set, and I love the Apple Watch. I'm already getting excited to see what Apple does with this Wearable Technology. There's no doubt it will evolve, just as there is no comparison of a first Gen. iPhone to a iPhone 6 plus, but at this point only time will tell (See what I did there) ...

I completely agree. It does everything they said it would and that's why I got it. I use the notifications daily. My phone is always in my pocket and at home I can just leave it on a table. Works great in that manner. I use it weekly for my exercise routine also it works great for what I'm doing. Weather I think is also very good, no it's not perfect but I expect that will also get better. I really like the ability to change my music or podcast while out and about without taking my phone out of my pocket. One last thing is the remote app, now that works perfect for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I completely agree. It does everything they said it would and that's why I got it. I use the notifications daily. My phone is always in my pocket and at home I can just leave it on a table. Works great in that manner. I use it weekly for my exercise routine also it works great for what I'm doing. Weather I think is also very good, no it's not perfect but I expect that will also get better. I really like the ability to change my music or podcast while out and about without taking my phone out of my pocket. One last thing is the remote app, now that works perfect for me.

Numerous people have gawked at my Watch and many of them have asked, "is it worth getting?" My reply is always the same: once you've determined its use for you then yes, it will then be worth it. It is first and foremost a watch, but it is very good at handling text, email, reminder and 3rd-party notifications, dictation is top notch, and it does a great job in regard to fitness tracking. If you're expecting more than that, you will be disappointed. It's a smart "watch".....Period.

Last edited:

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

I can tell you I'm not one of those, I never expected the watch would change my life and I also think that Apple presented it pretty well as far a expectations and I also set them up accordingly, you seem kind of upset that someone has a different experience than you, but it's pretty simple, I understood the concept of the Apple watch pretty well but it just didn't work for me, it doesn't have to be a MEH, it's just an honest review based on my experience.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

I loved the music glance as well and it was the most used feature, chronograph and timer were second, battery was actually very good and it made the battery on my phone last longer, the other features weren't really doing anything for me, I'm very excited to see how it will evolve though...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I can tell you I'm not one of those, I never expected the watch would change my life and I also think that Apple presented it pretty well as far a expectations and I also set them up accordingly, you seem kind of upset that someone has a different experience than you, but it's pretty simple, I understood the concept of the Apple watch pretty well but it just didn't work for me, it doesn't have to be a MEH, it's just an honest review based on my experience.

Look you can deny what lead to you selling your Apple Watch all you want. The fact is when a products Features, Actions, and Benefits are understood, and are desired by the user, and the product delivers acceptably on those Features, Actions, and Benefits the Product gets kept, not sold and life goes on ...

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I went and played with one a few times. I just don't like anything on my wrist. It would bother me immensely.

Plus I just didn't find the OS as intuitive as I'd liked. It felt like I'd be messing with it too much to get it to function as I'd like.

Ultimately, I still really like the idea of something like Google glass, just not a watch.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Look you can deny what lead to you selling your Apple Watch all you want. The fact is when a products Features, Actions, and Benefits are understood, and are desired by the user, and the product delivers acceptably on those Features, Actions, and Benefits the Product gets kept, not sold and life goes on ...

I'm not denying what lead me to sell my watch, I'm just sharing my personal experience with other members here, so you are pretty much saying that anyone who sells his/her watch is just hating on Apple, trolling, just going meh or they just didn't understand the product.?? !!... I desired the product when it was announced, Apple did a good job presenting the features so I'm pretty confident I understood it... now the last part, whether or not it delivers that's a totally personal thing. It ONLY delivers if it satisfies your personal needs... that's where I disagree with you, you love your watch and that's totally ok and I'm happy for you... seriously.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro