Skin Irritation

dharris382

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Wanted to see if anyone is experiencing any skin irritation from their watch band.

I expected some slight discoloration. It's the Summer time and that is going to happen with the sun being out and me wearing the watch for long periods of time for days on end.

IMG_8359.jpg

What has me somewhat concerned is the formation of what appears to be a rash. Not sure why it appeared but I do know it wasn't there before I began wearing the watch.

IMG_8358.jpg

Definitely making plans to get this looked at. Let me know if this is happening to you.

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
What band do you have? I live in the southeast US, and the humidity here is a killer for me. That's why I upgraded my sport model to a Milanese Loop, to allow moisture to evaporate thru the mesh. I also shower daily with my watch, moving the watch up my arm to clean my wrist underneath. This also washes the watch and band.

Of course, I still have a spot directly under the watch that remains "moist", and while I haven't had any problems yet, I'm careful to occasionally loosen the band and let it breathe a little. If you were going to be non-allergic to any band, I would think the stainless steel ML would offer the best solution. The SS Link Bracelet would be the second choice, but since the contact area is proportionally larger, would not allow as much evaporation.

Any other non-stainless band might have chemicals in the dyeing process during manufacturing that might cause the dermatitis condition Keith mentioned above.

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I wear my Watch all day, and have no issues with irritation or rash. I have both the Milanese and black sports bands, and switch off from time to time.

I do find that the Milanese band breathes and the BSB does not - meaning that when wearing the BSB, my wrist sweats and the watch sticks somewhat.

dharris382

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Minus it looking a little worn, there are no major or significant marks on the back of the band. I usually wear it using the second hole. Perhaps, that could be a little too tight for my wrist.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sidebar question: Have you noticed any issues with your watch after showering with it? Have you been showering with it since day 1?

I have a SGS and that band does not allow the skin to breathe at all. I'm in Maryland and we've experienced probably the same amount of humidity as the Southeast. You do make a great point about the dyeing process. I wonder if the humidity in my area and my long periods of wearing and the dye have anything to do with it.

Like I said though, I am definitely going to get it check out.

Here's a thread on showering.
http://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=332872

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
From the Web MD site:
Common triggers for contact dermatitis are:

Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac
Hair dyes or straighteners
Nickel, a metal found in jewelry and belt buckles
Leather (specifically, chemicals used in tanning leather)
Latex rubber
Citrus fruit, especially the peel
Fragrances in soaps, shampoos, lotions, perfumes, and cosmetics
Some medications you put on your skin

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Sidebar question: Have you noticed any issues with your watch after showering with it? Have you been showering with it since day 1?

I have a SGS and that band does not allow the skin to breathe at all. I'm in Maryland and we've experienced probably the same amount of humidity as the Southeast. You do make a great point about the dyeing process. I wonder if the humidity in my area and my long periods of wearing and the dye have anything to do with it.

I have never showered with my Watch, personally. I'm sure the watch could handle it, but just not something that I do.

With regard to the sports band in general, since they do not breathe, it tends to stick to my arm at times. I'm in Arizona, and in general terms, the humidity is low (except for this time of year when the "monsoon" storms are in season. I can't say whether the dyes in the band are part of the issue or not, but it is most definitely a possibility. Of course there are (or could be) other factors, as well. Things like skin sensitivity in general, allergic reactions, etc are all possible factors, too. And the humidity alone will add to the "annoyance factor", if nothing else.

It would be interesting to see how many people have issues with rashes, etc, and to see those numbers maybe by band type and/or color for the sports bands. One would think that the materials would be "color safe" and hypoallergenic, but I have not actually seen any claims either way.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wear my Watch all day everyday, but I do not shower with it. I'm also not experiencing any rashes or other skin irritations. It's possible, as has been stated, that the band is too tight around your wrist, and if you shower with your Watch and moisture gets trapped underneath it then yeah, I can see how that could pose a problem. Having said that, water and electronics do not get along, and at some point, your Watch is going to be affected by it, in my opinion.

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I tried to find out what alloy of stainless steel Apple spec'd. for the band, but they don't go into detail. Keep in mind some SS alloys contain nickel, so for some people that suffer from nickel reactions, even the Milanese Loop might not suffice.Anyone up for an Apple Pocket watch?:tongue:

dharris382

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
What band do you have? I live in the southeast US, and the humidity here is a killer for me. That's why I upgraded my sport model to a Milanese Loop, to allow moisture to evaporate thru the mesh. I also shower daily with my watch, moving the watch up my arm to clean my wrist underneath. This also washes the watch and band.

Of course, I still have a spot directly under the watch that remains "moist", and while I haven't had any problems yet, I'm careful to occasionally loosen the band and let it breathe a little. If you were going to be non-allergic to any band, I would think the stainless steel ML would offer the best solution. The SS Link Bracelet would be the second choice, but since the contact area is proportionally larger, would not allow as much evaporation.

Any other non-stainless band might have chemicals in the dyeing process during manufacturing that might cause the dermatitis condition Keith mentioned above.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
No irritation, sport band here. I wear it all day and only take it off to shower and sleep. I do wear it tight, but I still don't have any problems.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I had irritations in the past from watches, but nothing yet from the Apple Watch. I've got into the habit of taking watches in general off at night, wear them a little more loosely in warm weather, washing my wrist and band if I've been sweeting a lot, and various other precautions that in my mind have helped keep any irritations at bay ...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2