New Apple Watch with broken face, Apple won't replace! What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

docfmiles

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
New Apple watch with broken face, Apple won't replace!

My grandson got a new Apple watch while we were on vacation last week. He woke up in the morning to find the face cracked and a piece of it broken off. We asked Apple to replace it because it's a very obvious defect and they are refusing!
Who do we speak to at Apple to get honest support?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: New Apple watch with broken face, Apple won't replace!

He just woke up in the morning to find a piece broke off? Not sure how that's possible. Are you sure your grandson didn't do anything to cause this? Personally I have never had anything but honest support. If something is their fault the take care of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

You should be able to return it within 14 days but I don't know the specifics of the return policy. I also believe that the watch wouldn't just break like that, but you should try and speak to the Apple store manager.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

He just woke up in the morning to find a piece broke off? Not sure how that's possible. Are you sure your grandson didn't do anything to cause this? Personally I have never had anything but honest support. If something is their fault the take care of it.

Yeah. I feel like something is sketchy since you don't wake up to see a broken device unless someone broke it. I don't see how it would break by itself without someone messing with it. Or it might just be a defective device.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Seeing how the display of the Watch smoothly fits into the casing, you are not going to convince the geniuses at the Store or many of us here that a piece of the watch face broke off on its own. Having said that, if you purchased Apple Care Plus for it, go ahead and use it. If you didn't, be prepared to pay to get it replaced or fixed.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

THIS ^^^^

Watch faces (and other tech items) don't just get physically damaged all by themselves.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

My grandson got a new Apple watch while we were on vacation last week. He woke up in the morning to find the face cracked and a piece of it broken off. We asked Apple to replace it because it's a very obvious defect and they are refusing!
Who do we speak to at Apple to get honest support?

Need to speak to your grandson again that's for sure. I sleep with mine on nightly and I don't wake up with a broken watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

I've bumped, smacked, and dropped mine, and I don't even have a scratch.

Just guessing, but you might not be getting the whole story.

koltonh2002

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

well, I don't know about anybody else, but he obviously rolled or something and put too much pressure on it in his sleep

or he broke it the day before and didn't notice

or you're making this up so you can get people to believe it's a defect

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Well since this was on a vacation and it happened during the night/overnight, it's possible that during activities other than normal, the watch might have suffered damage that was at first not noticeable. It would be very easy to bang your wrist while at a bar or a club and not notice a crack that would be made worse during the night.
This is my theory, for what it's worth.
Apple covers manufacturing defects. Impact defects are not manufacturing defects.
I always buy Apple Care Plus in case something like this happens to one of my devices.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

docfmiles

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site

He's 13 yrs old and since we were on vacation together, I was with him 24/7. No mistreatment whatsoever! I have always had good support prior to this & I've got Macs back to System 1 (Mac OS). The right upper corner of the watch broke off while he was sleeping. Maybe tossing around in bed is more than the Apple watch can take. If so, they should not market it as a SPORT watch.

docfmiles

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site

THIS ^^^^

Watch faces (and other tech items) don't just get physically damaged all by themselves.

That is why I think it was defective! The question is WHO can I speak to! I'm Not interested in opinions about what happened-I was there! A day old watch face broke off! It was all the money he had, and he chose to spend it on this product believing he'd get his money's worth.

It's easy to think he injured the watch, but not true. I expected Apple to back their product, but they did not. Now, WHO can I speak to?

docfmiles

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site

well, I don't know about anybody else, but he obviously rolled or something and put too much pressure on it in his sleep

or he broke it the day before and didn't notice

or you're making this up so you can get people to believe it's a defect

Why would I make it up? The darned thing broke! It was his entire "Fortune". He'd saved for months to buy a CLEARLY defective watch. Your comment was insensitive.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

He's 13 yrs old and since we were on vacation together, I was with him 24/7. No mistreatment whatsoever! I have always had good support prior to this & I've got Macs back to System 1 (Mac OS). The right upper corner of the watch broke off while he was sleeping. Maybe tossing around in bed is more than the Apple watch can take. If so, they should not market it as a SPORT watch.

I'm sorry, but I'm not believing it. I have had my Watch since May 4th, and I wear it all day everyday. I wear it at work (of which I am currently preparing to do), exercising, wrestling and goofing off with my very active and physical youngest son, and I've banged it on countertops, doorways, on the hard ground, at work, etcetera, and there is not a scratch, ding, dent, scrape, nick, crack or chip on it. Furthermore, I have never had a screen protector or protective casing on it. The Watch, in 'my' experience, can take a licking from 'normal' wear and normal use. Its materials are far more durable than I had anticipated.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

You need to take this up with Apple.
Common sense tells me that he damaged it and may not be telling you how it happened.
I haven't heard everything but I've heard no reports of a  Watch face breaking randomly without being dropped or hit in some way.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

MobileMadness002

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

Sorry to hear this, but I doubt this is manufactures defect. Since we will only be told what you want us to know, the only ones that can offer ANY useful advice are the Apple agents after they inspect the watch. Make an appointment with the Genius bar agents and have a credit card ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73