Apple Watch workout accuracy

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
What is everyone's experience with the accuracy of the Apple Watch in measuring workouts? When running on treadmills, the distance seems to be greater than that actually ran. When doing other workouts like yoga, the calories burned seems to low. Thoughts?

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's close enough. I don't need every inch counted for, just measure relative distance and effort. The point (for me) is to exercise. So if I complete the rings, and it's slightly off, so be it,

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I think its somewhat accurate. I've settled into being ok with Impaler's approach. I don't use the Workout feature, and instead let the Activity feature track Move, Exercise, and Stand on its own. For gym based activities on an elliptical trainer or treadmill, it's generally been accurate but not always.

I know what I've actually done for exercise outside of the gym (use a dedicated activity/sports tracker app for rides, hikes, walks), and from what I've heard the health/fitness tracking capabilities will be more accurate with watchOS 2.0.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Its fairly accurate on its own. If you want it to be more accurate, use a Bluetooth HR strap.

Vortec 5.3

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It seems the workout distance changes everyday I use the app despite running the same exact course. I usually run 5 miles. Sometimes is will say 4.91 miles. Sometimes 4.96. I do run on a trail for 1/2 of the run. Does overhead foliage affect gps accuracy ?

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
There is a margin of error but not by that much. It motivated me enough to stop carrying my Fitbit around. When I wore Android Wear and Samsung devices, i always had to wear the Fitbit because the accuracy was all over the place. I am glad that Apple engineered this device to be of use as opposed to throwing something in there just to have it.

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What is everyone's experience with the accuracy of the Apple Watch in measuring workouts? When running on treadmills, the distance seems to be greater than that actually ran. When doing other workouts like yoga, the calories burned seems to low. Thoughts?
Heart rate is very accurate. Calories is more than 50% off of other devices such as the Polar. I think it will get better as more apps come out.