Showering

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi, has anyone who has been showering with the apple watch for some time beginning to experience problems with it? Early tests revealed that showering was not harmful, but I am just wondering about more long term effects.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Remember now, the Watch is water-'resistant' and not waterproof and therefore, at some point, prolonged contact with water will have adverse effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Remember now, the Watch is water-'resistant' and not waterproof and therefore, at some point, prolonged contact with water will have adverse effects.

I am wondering how the apple techs would be able to tell you were using your watch in a way that wasn't recommended versus just normal hand washing. Another words I may roll the dice if my apple care will cover it without having to spend 50 bucks on the deductible and use up a replacement.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering how the apple techs would be able to tell you were using your watch in a way that wasn't recommended versus just normal hand washing. Another words I may roll the dice if my apple care will cover it without having to spend 50 bucks on the deductible and use up a replacement.
Don't know about the apple watch, but with the pebble steel it is rated for 5atm or something like that. They said swim in it all you want, but repeated exposure to the heat in a shower would degrade the seals. That being said I have showered in my pebble steel. I don't anymore. I went back to my regular citizen, but they may be able to tell by how the seals look if it has been exposed to more than just regular hand washing and such.

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I've showered about 10 times with my watch. I have the silver sport with Milanese Loop band, and I've developed a practice of loosening the band and sliding the watch up my arm to allow cleaning the area covered by the watch.

This practice also cleans both the watch and band. I'm an eyeglass wearer, and practice daily water and detergent cleaning of my eyewear; this is almost a requirement for anything in contact with the body to remove skin cells, oils, etc that are normally sloughed off.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
No problems for me. I've accidentally showered with it a couple of times with no ill effects. I don't really want a soap film on the watch, and avoid that as much as I can. I worry about the soap creating smaller bubbles that might slip through the speaker/microphone openings.

jschu22

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Water alone absolutely will not cause problems over time. More likely it's time itself that would be the downfall as seals just get old and dry somewhat, allowing moisture in. Combine that with wide temperature swings and there could be issues. That being said, I don't think a properly assembled watch will be problematic but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I also don't understand the fascination with showing with your watch. I don't think I ever forgot to take my watch off before I showered or ever thought damn... Wish I could wear it while I showered

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I also don't understand the fascination with showing with your watch. I don't think I ever forgot to take my watch off before I showered or ever thought damn... Wish I could wear it while I showered

I like to because it cleans it without having to remember to clean it. Also makes the band absorb the smell of your soap over time. Bands can get pretty gross smelling with all the sweat build up. Keep in mind I wear it to the gym everyday and play hockey with it.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I like to because it cleans it without having to remember to clean it. Also makes the band absorb the smell of your soap over time. Bands can get pretty gross smelling with all the sweat build up. Keep in mind I wear it to the gym everyday and play hockey with it.

I would prefer to clean what's under the band... Could always take the band off to wash. That's just my opinion

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Yea, I understand where you're coming from. Prior to the Apple Watch, I had not worn a watch since I started carrying a mobile phone in the 90's. And, prior to that, I would always remove my watch before showering.

However, when I heard Tim Cook respond to a question by stating that he wears his watch while showering, that boosted my confidence in Apples design. And further, one of the Apple instructions to remedy a hard-to-turn Digital Crown is to HOLD IT UNDER A STREAM OF WATER while turning the crown, thus loosening/removing any foreign objects that may be causing said problem.

I suspect the wearables design team looked at the problems encountered by any device worn in proximity with the body, i.e. long term implants, insulin pumps, etc. and were well prepared to spec the most appropriate case metals, o-ring seal materials, and final assembly techniques to ensure a reliable, well functioning device.

Apple Rules!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
For the most part i shower with it every day...not worried one bit that is why i have apple care. i do however get a film on it sometimes that i have to clean off later but no biggie .. i have not had any sound or mic issues either.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
For the most part i shower with it every day...not worried one bit that is why i have apple care. i do however get a film on it sometimes that i have to clean off later but no biggie .. i have not had any sound or mic issues either.

Are you worried with your apple care that they would try and charge you the swap out fee and use up one of your allowable swap outs? Or do you think they would swap out on the basis that it is defective and not charge you the fee? With the iPhone it is easy for them to detect damage by water since the area near the SIM card turns red. Not sure if there is any check for the apple watch and plus it would have to distinguish between excessive water exposure versus just normal use covered by the water resistant rating. Bottom line, if any harm to the watch brought on by showering would be classified by the apple techs as a defect where the watch would just be swapped out under apple care, then I would not sweat it one bit.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Are you worried with your apple care that they would try and charge you the swap out fee and use up one of your allowable swap outs? Or do you think they would swap out on the basis that it is defective and not charge you the fee? With the iPhone it is easy for them to detect damage by water since the area near the SIM card turns red. Not sure if there is any check for the apple watch and plus it would have to distinguish between excessive water exposure versus just normal use covered by the water resistant rating. Bottom line, if any harm to the watch brought on by showering would be classified by the apple techs as a defect where the watch would just be swapped out under apple care, then I would not sweat it one bit.

No not really if would quote Tim Cook lol .. I do not know how they check for water damage they prob have to open it up and see if it's been tampered with

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
With the iPhone, there's a binary test for water ingress; has the internal sensor changed color or not? This, on a device that Apple has never sold as being water resistant.

With the watch, they design to a given IP-x rating (Ingress Protected), and hope that the design works to meet that standard under a statistically reasonable figure. However, I think they would be a little more forgiving should a water damaged watch be presented at the Genius Bar.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I take my watch into the shower, but I don't shower with it :)

After I finish working out I lock all my stuff in my locker, iPhone, wallet, etc. Then I use the restroom before I shower. I like to look at the news, weather, my calendar, etc. on the watch. I don't want to have to go back to my locker, unlock it and put the watch away so I take it with me into the shower. I take it off and put on the shelf. After I am done I dry off and put it back on. Plus if I feel like I am in there for a long time relaxing under the water I have a clock to look at to make sure I am not late for work.

:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro