Showering

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
So I have to share with everyone what I think somewhat ironically answers my OP. So over the past several weeks I have been growing more and more daring with water exposure to my watch. Been showering more frequently with it, yesterday took it to the pool for the first time. Wasn't doing deep dives with it, but it was definitely at least submerged a few times. Well last night when attempting to receive a call on it I noticed that the volume was coming through very very faint. Tested it a few more times and same thing. I was convinced it must have been due to water exposure. I booked an apt for genius today but noticed this morning when I tested again that the problem resolved. Perhaps the heat from the overnight charging dried up inside. So I guess the answer to my question is yes, improper exposure to water can negatively impact the device and apple's guidelines are not just being conservative. Who knows if this could have been permanent, don't think I wanted to take my chances again. However what I am convinced about is an apple tech would have swapped this out for free with apple care as they would really have no way to prove for sure this was due to improper water exposure versus hand washing, rain, etc. even if they had a way to prove, I don't see them holding stern. I confirmed this with a friend who is an apple tech. Even so, now that I know that water got in there and did harm, I am worried it could have done worse damage like fry my device so I wouldn't even have the opp to back it up before swapping it out. Alright, just wanted everyone who participated in this thread to have this knowledge. Thanks for all your replies.

I agree with you, and I'm not taking any chances with my Apple Watch and water--no reason to. And AppleCare+ is your friend, just in case. :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Something was covering your speaker. There was nothing wrong inside your watch. I had a similar experience with my phone. I couldn't hear the volume. But I could hear with my Bluetooth headset. It turned out to be ketchup that had got on the speaker. I washed it off with a slightly damp cloth. The volume came back. It may have been moisture on the speaker. Then it dried. Or bits if debris that came off.

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
As has been stated, the watch is rated IPX7. When it's subjected to the 1 meter depth test, it's calm water. Now, imagine swimming, and with each stroke of your arms, you could induce a pressure against the watch speaker holes that is greater that the rating allows. I think bathing is OK, but swimming with the watch is pushing the design too far.

viewfly

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Here's someone who looked into the water repellant capabilities of the watch.

A Watch, Water and Workouts ? furbo.org

Good article. I suspect that his
Swimming workout is inaccurate though.

It may show his swimming stride but not the work resistance that his muscle has to exert against water. Just like weight lifting would not accurately reflect the weight lifted for calorie calculations.

Regardless of the water rating I think it will eventually fail as the rubber and other seals wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I see all these post about people taking there apple watch in the shower and to the pool and it makes my skin crawl, my hart will not let me do those things. I'm to afraid to even let rain hit it.

Sent from the great iPhone 6+

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Again, I shower with the watch, but I truly believe you are pushing the design envelope if you swim with the watch. Be advised. However, if you do happen to give it a dunking in the sea, or pool, take the guys advice and rinse with potable water afterwards.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm to afraid to even let rain hit it.
I had the same fear initially. But as I mentioned previously in this thread, I got caught in a pretty heavy rain storm at an outdoor concert. My watch was rained on for over an hour and a half. The storm was totally unexpected but because of what I read on here and other places, I didn't try to protect my Watch. It came thru the storm unharmed. I'm not afraid of the rain anymore.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2