Waze and iPhone unlocked

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
So I have Waze running for navigation and traffic while driving. Thus the iPhone is unlocked. With that the Apple watch will not give me notifications for anything else. Messages, etc.

Thoughts?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The only way to get it to work is to make sure sounds are enabled for Waze then lock the screen. You will still get audible directions from Waze and the watch will still show your notifications.

Maybe a Waze app for the watch will be coming soon :)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
bamf... I think John is saying that when Waze is running on his phone, his watch get no notifications from anything at all....

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The only way to get it to work is to make sure sounds are enabled for Waze then lock the screen. You will still get audible directions from Waze and the watch will still show your notifications.

Maybe a Waze app for the watch will be coming soon :)

Bold text above ;)

It is a feature of the Apple Watch not to mimic notifications if the phone is unlocked and you are likely using it. If you get a notice on the phone of a new text, then a redundant notice on the watch is not needed.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Negative. The point of Waze is for navigation, viewing map and things that it shows on screen. So on Dash it's great for navigation ,etc. But having screen on does not allow other app or iMessages to by pass. defeats purpose on locking the screen for Waze

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Negative. The point of Waze is for navigation, viewing map and things that it shows on screen. So on Dash it's great for navigation ,etc. But having screen on does not allow other app or iMessages to by pass. defeats purpose on locking the screen for Waze

Ha... Negative, nice. If you have the sounds on in Waze it tells you when to turn including street names. It also tells you when there are hazards ahead including the kind that can give you a ticket ;)

Its not as nice as leaving the screen on to see what is happening, but at least that way you can still get notifications on your wrist.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned above it's not for Waze, but with Waze running and screen on nothing will notify on the watch, example imessages, etc....

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you have Waze up, your iPhone screen is unlocked. Why do you need notifications on your watch then?
I think it would be quite convenient to have Waze running and not have to drop out of it to deal with something like preview an email via notification... or a Message... I'll have to see if the stock Maps app gives the same results...

RandGM

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If you have Waze up, you should not be so concerned with other notifications until you've arrived at your destination.

RandGM

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Leave Waze on voice directions if the driver finds that acceptable and attend to your notifications. Otherwise, clench down and let the driver have the Waze app and arrive safely. Too many bad drivers out there already driving distracted. Why add more to the road? No damn email or Instagram comment is that important.

Or let them use Waze on their device and track notifications on your if you can't go for any amount of time without them.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I think some of us are missing the point. You lose all points of notifications. Not saying it's important or not.. the point is with Waze or similar app on and the iPhone unlocked it removes all purposes of notifications. These can be a quick message to glance at. Weather warning, or a phone call which you can quickly glance at...

Come on it's just like looking at the radio on the dash,, but none of us do that correct?

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I fully agree and understand. Same thing while playing plants vs zombies or any game. You get the notification flash on the screen but I would much rather have notifications on my watch.

I understand the battery saving idea behind not doubling notifications but it's often not beneficial. One of the reasons I miss the Pebble!

cafesitter

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The other option that works better for me is that you switch off the text message notifications on the phone, but on the watch allow them as manual setting. That way all texts notifications only come to watch but thats fine with me.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro