Notification Question

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have all my notifications on my watch app set to no sound except for phone calls and it works great with my  Watch

My question is if I take off my watch and it locks does that restore my notification sounds on my iPhone ??

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have all my notifications on my watch app set to no sound except for phone calls and it works great with my  Watch

My question is if I take off my watch and it locks does that restore my notification sounds on my iPhone ??

How have you configured your notifications? If you set the phone up to not sound except for calls and then set the watch to mirror the phone, you will not get your notifications back by simply taking the watch off.

If you set your phone up the way you want it, and then use the custom options for the Watch version of the apps to not sound except for phone calls, the notifications on the phone will (should) be unaffected by the state of the watch, whether you're wearing it or not.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
How have you configured your notifications? If you set the phone up to not sound except for calls and then set the watch to mirror the phone, you will not get your notifications back by simply taking the watch off.

If you set your phone up the way you want it, and then use the custom options for the Watch version of the apps to not sound except for phone calls, the notifications on the phone will (should) be unaffected by the state of the watch, whether you're wearing it or not.

Phone settings have sound watch settings no sound I was just worried that as long as the watch is paired just taking it off wouldn't change anything

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Phone settings have sound watch settings no sound I was just worried that as long as the watch is paired just taking it off wouldn't change anything

It should not. Each device should get the notifications as they are configured, and they should be independent of other devices.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Well as long as I have my watch on my normal custom notification sounds for iMessage-email and the like are running off my custom watch settings?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
To clarify as long as I'm actively using my iPhone I get my normal sound notifications but as soon as I lock my iPhone the watch settings take over and mute the sound which is the way I want it but if I leave my watch behind will it still stay muted when my iPhone screen is off

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
To clarify as long as I'm actively using my iPhone I get my normal sound notifications but as soon as I lock my iPhone the watch settings take over and mute the sound which is the way I want it but if I leave my watch behind will it still stay muted when my iPhone screen is off

I'd guess that it should, but maybe a quick test of that functionality would be in order.

bldhk

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Notifications will be routed to different devices under different scenarios.

The philosophy is to send notifications to the device that you're using, so you can see them as soon as possible.

If your iPhone is unlocked, you'll get notifications on your iPhone, instead of your Apple Watch.

If your iPhone is locked or asleep, and your Apple Watch is unlocked and on your wrist, you'll get notifications on your Apple Watch.

When you dismiss notifications on your Apple Watch, they're also dismissed from your iPhone. You might get certain notifications on your watch that you'll need to respond to using your iPhone.

When your Apple Watch is locked with a passcode, and when your Apple Watch is locked, all of your notifications will go to your iPhone. An Apple Watch with a passcode will lock automatically when you aren't wearing it, when it loses contact with your skin, or while it's charging.

I prefer to enable watch with passcode. So, that when my watch is on my wrist and unlocked, all notifications would go to the watch. And if I take off my watch, the watch will be automatically locked and all notifications would go back to my iPhone.

I wanted to post the link to the original explanatory document in apple website ( HT204791 ) but I cannot do so until I reach a post count of 10.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Yes, it does...:)

farb12

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have notifications turned off on my watch for several apps but still get them for the following apps....

Twitter
USA today
Kwqc news

Anyone else have this problem?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro