So I wore my Sport Watch while doing Tough Mudder this weekend...

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I wanted to track the event so I wore the watch. I wrapped it a couple times with common kitchen clear wrap and taped it on the band with electrical tape (no I did not take a pic of it... whoops). I started an "other" workout and started the event which included several crawls through mud and water, climbing and jumping over various structures, and lots of sweat and dirt. The Watch did fine and is working normal after the event, but unfortunately the battery died on me after about 5 or 6 hours into the event and none of the workout tracking recorded. I was hoping it would have at least saved up until the battery died and I could access that info after charging. Oh well. But the Watch clearly can take some punishment which is good. Here is a video of the event straight from the Tough Mudder folks to get a sense of what the Watch made it through:

Tough Mudder Tahoe 2015

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
You’re a braver man than I am.

IDK about that, but I do not like "babying" my Technology and IMO a watch has to be designed and constructed to be knocked around on my wrist so after some internal debate I just decided to do it. I was mostly concerned about the dirt and mud so that is why I wrapped it in clear plastic wrap. I really thought the battery would make it through the event and that disappointed me that it did not. Next year I'll probably forgo the wrap... we will see...

RandGM

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
That may have been a good one to put into Power Reserve Mode during the exercise. Glad to hear it and you survived.

UGAzach14

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I was tracking the workout with the exercise app -- the only reason I wore the Watch!
Power reserve mode turns off the heart rate monitor but still tracks workout. I ran a half marathon saturday with Power reserve mode on and I only burned 22 percent with music, bluetooth headphones, and workout tracker going. It was a trail run, so i ran it in 2 hours, 28 minutes. But still, pretty impressed.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Power reserve mode turns off the heart rate monitor but still tracks workout.

Huh... interesting, according to what I've read I was under the impression that power reserve turned off everything except the time.

"Power Reserve mode shuts down all Apple Watch functionality except the ability to keep and display time. All apps, glances, and other general watch functionality are no longer available once Power Reserve mode is enabled."

So if I had started the exercise app then turned on power reserve the watch would have continued tracking my workout minus my heart rate?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Huh... interesting, according to what I've read I was under the impression that power reserve turned off everything except the time.

"Power Reserve mode shuts down all Apple Watch functionality except the ability to keep and display time. All apps, glances, and other general watch functionality are no longer available once Power Reserve mode is enabled."

So if I had started the exercise app then turned on power reserve the watch would have continued tracking my workout minus my heart rate?

There are two power saving modes... The one on the battery glance will shut off everything except the time, that is the oh no I am about to lose power mode :)

Under the activity settings on the phone there is an option to turn off the HR monitor during activities to save on battery.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
There are two power saving modes... The one on the battery glance will shut off everything except the time, that is the oh no I am about to lose power mode :)

Under the activity settings on the phone there is an option to turn off the HR monitor during activities to save on battery.

Gotcha, good to know... so definitely something that would need to be done if going to be tracking an exercise or activity that will last 6 hours or so (that's about when my Watch died...)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2