How can I downgrade Watch OS 2 to 1.0.1?

Jake Stopher

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
If you unpaired your iPhone from your Watch before updating, then it can be done, as a separate backup is saved every time the two devices are unpaired.

On your Apple Watch, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings

Wait for the watch to reset, then pair it as if it were brand new. Once paired, the app on your iPhone will ask you whether you want to set it up as new, or restore from a backup. Tap restore, and choose your watchOS 1.0.1 backup. This will downgrade the software.

It took me a whole day to figure out, but it worked!

This will only work if you unpaired your iPhone from your Apple Watch BEFORE updating to watchOS 2.0 and you must have iOS 9 installed.

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
If you unpaired your iPhone from your Watch before updating, then it can be done, as a separate backup is saved every time the two devices are unpaired.

On your Apple Watch, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings

Wait for the watch to reset, then pair it as if it were brand new. Once paired, the app on your iPhone will ask you whether you want to set it up as new, or restore from a backup. Tap restore, and choose your watchOS 1.0.1 backup. This will downgrade the software.

This will only work if you unpaired your iPhone from your Apple Watch BEFORE updating to watchOS 2.0 and you must have iOS 9 installed.
That's great!
Now we'd need a way to share backups then :D

anon(5718668)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

So I couldn't say, use a friend who's running iOS 8.3 and use their back up to restore my watch? How about if I upgraded their device to iOS 9 and used that to restore watchOS 1.01? Afterwards I could surely reinstall iOS 8.3 and restore their phone from a back up?

EDIT: I've just used the steps above without a friends iPhone. An Apple Watch backup is created both once you unpair the watch and also when you pair the device initially. I restored my phone to iOS 8.3 (from 9) and restored from an iCloud backup on the 7th June. This contained an Apple Watch backup too.

I restored the watch, paired the two and restored the watch from a back up. THIS DOES NOT WORK.

Last edited:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Oh this is good news. I tried using another phone with 8.3 only. Going to do this method now as i do have a 1.0.1 backup!

Hopeful because I had un-paired on 8.3 prior to 9.0 upgrade I do have that 1.0.1 backup.

Last edited:

trevkat

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Downgrade watchOS 2 to 1.0.1

You are amazing!! Thank you for figuring this out. Quick question, when you paired your wifes watch to iOS 9 did it do anything to her watch like reset it or anything? Or does it just make a backup and she can then simply pair it back with her phone like nothing happened.

seankly

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm that this doesn't work unfortunately. I too had a 1.0.1 backup. Reset the watch, paired to phone and restored backup. Still on OS2

Funny thing was that I lost the additional watch faces?

Im trying restoring back from my 2.0 backup now to get them back!

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Downgrade watchOS 2 to 1.0.1

Ok: here is what happened for me:
- in 8.3, i had un-paired watch. 1.0.1 backup created
- upgraded phone to 9.0, watch to 2.0
- un-paired watch, 2.0 backup created
- used second phone and attempted pair. Got message saying 'needs update first'
- paired back with 9.0 phone
- seeing this post, un-paired watch, another 2.0 backup created
- paired with same 9.0 phone, chose 1.0.1 backup. It did restore BUT the watch OS is still in 2.0!

Going to re-read reported method and see if I did anything different that I can change in this process.

Question for those reporting success: what version is watch reporting in settings?

ocrane

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
from reddit

"Was running terribly on my 42mm SS.
I restored my iPhone 6+ back to iOS 8.3 through iTunes, and restored a backup from last week sometime. I then downloaded the IPSW again for iOS 9 from IMZDL. I flashed this via iTunes but instead of doing a restore, I held Option (on Mac) and did an update, so it kept my 8.3 content from last week.
I was then able to re-pair with my watch and instead of setting it up as new, I pressed restore backup on to Watch, it picked up a backup from end of May when I got it.
Job done, going to set it up as new, but with the 1.0.1 software, because 2 is so so crap on battery!
6+ on iOS 9 Mac on El Capitan Watch on 1.0.1
Not having an accessible tethered port really is a PITA!"

Tinkerooz

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
What about
* unpair (watch 2.0 and Phone on iOS9)
*set backup on iPhone with iOS8.3 and watch backup with 1.01
*Delete profile
*Go to iOS9 with phone and pair and restore watch....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW