My Initial Thoughts After 5 Days (and a request for others to share as well)

hot_guitar

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I got my Apple Watch (42mm, Milanese Loop) last Friday. I have been tweaking the settings daily to fine-tune the experience. Here's how I feel:

Above all, I keep reminding myself that this is a totally new experience and how I use the watch will evolve.

I get notifications. Lots of them. I have pared them down to email (work and personal), messages, calendar events and a few other apps that offer very infrequent notifications. I still get a lot, but I am learning to, most of the time, just glance at them and keep moving.

Messages: if I get a message, I generally reply via the Watch, but sometimes I want to dictate an answer but not in a public setting. Sending messages from the phone is fun and, many times, convenient.

Phone Calls: I haven't use this much yet and, when I have, handed it off to my phone.

Weather: it's moderately more convenient to get weather from the watch, but there is a lag time with the app (Dark Sky).

Apple Pay: Very cool.

Getting Fandango-type bar codes on my watch when I enter the movie theater is hip, but it's just as accessible on my iPhone via Passbook.

MAC ID to unlock my MBP: that is pretty cool.

Music, Pandora, Remote, etc apps? Ho hum.

Activity apps: they're pretty cool. When I did my 40-min elliptical workout, it seemed to really drain my battery that day. I changed it to Power Reserve, but I wonder if that makes my fitness tracking less accurate, which was a big reason why I bought the watch.

Productivity Apps like Due and Things: they work OK, but need refinement.

Photo app: probably not going to store many photos on my watch

Camera app: cool, but I question its usefulness on a regular basis.

All in all, the watch is cool, but I am still looking for a way, beyond notification management, for it to add $800 worth of value.

I'm interested in other's thoughts. Thanks!

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
All in all, the watch is cool, but I am still looking for a way, beyond notification management, for it to add $800 worth of value.

I'm interested in other's thoughts. Thanks!

First... Thanks for the review. I really enjoy seeing posts like this.

Second... That's exactly why I didn't pony up for the Stainless Watch and went for the Sport. This is a Gen 1 product with Gen 1 apps and a Gen 1 OS that I expected would need refinement. Even then, with accessories (extra charger, stands, screen protector, etc) I'm paying over $500. Still a heck of a lot of money for what it currently is.

I am very interested in the Health apps. That is my main reason for buying this. The other features will just be gravy. I also like the idea of having something that is more fashionable and functional than the Microsoft Band I'm currently wearing. From what I'm hearing the initial Watch OS update was very good in terms of improving performance. It will be interesting to see how Apple and the app makers refine/improve their products once they start getting feedback and even more interesting when Apple starts improving the hardware.

dianahk

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your review! I have the 38 SS Milanese loop and I have the blue sports band for running and gym. I have had it since May 1.

I like having a watch on my wrist again and have enjoyed changing the face and tweaking them a bit.

I was motivated to get it because of the activity tracking. I run 5 days a week, but found the workout app is not the best for tracking. I am using it to see if it improves. I hope the update finally gets it to properly calibrate. I like the reminders to stand. I can sit too long during the day and like the reminders. I sometimes am frustrated when I get the reminder in a meeting, but that is because the meeting went too long. I like that I can track yoga, even through other.

I like checking my heart rate and have found it reliable both when working out and when I am still.

Apple pay is awesome! My 5S doesn't have that option so this is a whole new world for me.

I use it to send quick messages and reply quickly too them. I will dictate, but not in public.

I decline call quickly or pick them up on the phone.

The timer is quick and easy when cooking.

I check weather easily on the watch.

I get emails from specific people and it allows me to know if I need to respond quickly or dismiss and wait. I also get calendar reminders, which are helpful. I also have reminders to drink water and have been helpful.

I look froward to more additions and apps to run smoother. I really do like the watch. It was a gift and I am still undecided if it is worth the money, but it does have potential. I have been an active person, but this has me moving more throughout the day. I feel a bit more organized as well. I don't find it heavy or too big. I also like the look and don't find it too techy either. This is my first gen 1 product and I find I am patient with the limitations because they are few and will improve.

a2dmusic

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Second... That's exactly why I didn't pony up for the Stainless Watch and went for the Sport. This is a Gen 1 product with Gen 1 apps and a Gen 1 OS that I expected would need refinement. Even then, with accessories (extra charger, stands, screen protector, etc) I'm paying over $500. Still a heck of a lot of money for what it currently is.

It is. I ended up going with the most expensive option outside gold (well, no - I didn't get space black, which is more expensive by $100). And it IS expensive for what it is, because it's G1. But you know, it's also a thing that is going to be visible on my wrist all day. That's why it's fashion, too. And the look I wanted on my wrist was the SS/Link Band. And for me EVEN if I only wear this for a year (and that's a big "if"), it's worth the approx $3/day for the year to have the look on my wrist that I want.

($1000 / 365 days = $2.74).

And with luck - Apple has made no promises - I can use the Link Bracelet with gen 2 or 3 or whatever upgrade I eventually get. Taking down that daily wear cost substantially.

Worth it for me.

Rainwater50

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your review! I have the 38 SS Milanese loop and I have the blue sports band for running and gym. I have had it since May 1.

I like having a watch on my wrist again and have enjoyed changing the face and tweaking them a bit.

I was motivated to get it because of the activity tracking. I run 5 days a week, but found the workout app is not the best for tracking. I am using it to see if it improves. I hope the update finally gets it to properly calibrate. I like the reminders to stand. I can sit too long during the day and like the reminders. I sometimes am frustrated when I get the reminder in a meeting, but that is because the meeting went too long. I like that I can track yoga, even through other.

I like checking my heart rate and have found it reliable both when working out and when I am still.

Apple pay is awesome! My 5S doesn't have that option so this is a whole new world for me.

I use it to send quick messages and reply quickly too them. I will dictate, but not in public.

I decline call quickly or pick them up on the phone.

The timer is quick and easy when cooking.

I check weather easily on the watch.

I get emails from specific people and it allows me to know if I need to respond quickly or dismiss and wait. I also get calendar reminders, which are helpful. I also have reminders to drink water and have been helpful.

I look froward to more additions and apps to run smoother. I really do like the watch. It was a gift and I am still undecided if it is worth the money, but it does have potential. I have been an active person, but this has me moving more throughout the day. I feel a bit more organized as well. I don't find it heavy or too big. I also like the look and don't find it too techy either. This is my first gen 1 product and I find I am patient with the limitations because they are few and will improve.

How do you set up reminders like this?

jimkraz

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have had my 38mm Space Gray Sport for seventeen days now, it seems longer, but I was used to wearing a Pebble before my Sport Watch arrived, the Pebble was good, great battery life, but I take my watch off at night and put it on the wee stand I made, when driving no need to risk my licence, see my messages, hands free in the car for phone, I have heart disease, it help me keep track of my heart rate, Pebble could not do that, send messages back from watch but as I am a bit deaf, I usually answer calls on phone, unless I wan't to show off, I have a stand ordered, I have ordered a NON Apple band/strap from Amazon, ?20 if I don't like it's not a lot to lose, it depends how the polished steel looks with Space Gray aluminium, I would not wan't to be without it now and may save up for Apple Watch 2, if I start now I may manage it, give me time Apple.

jarran6

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have had my watch 2 weeks now, I ordered the SS Milanese loop.

I am a watch wearer so buying this tech was a no brainer, its a watch that tells the time in its most basic form.

I have my own Electronic Security installation business so I have been quite surprised how useful its been in my day to day working life.

Obviously the Calendar on my watch is great, checking my sales appojntments, glancing at calls to see if it warrants my time, this has saved me so much time, i dont miss calls or messages when away from my desk.

The remote for the camera is so useful, not just for taking better selfies, the few times I have been on the tools i needed to look into a ceiling void to find a power source, I just couldnt quite see above so I placed my phone above and used my watch to see.

Being able to safely and quickly see emails while driving and not after spend more time between locations going back through my phone to see what emails I have had. Again saving me time.

Sending and receiving messages from my Girlfriend, what can I say, I am an old romantic, she has an apple watch too.

Discovering mowing my lawn causes me to walk one mile...

Dicovering how far I walk the Dogs every day and how much of a work out it is. So why arent I losing weight?? Hehe

And this is only the beginning, I am waiting for developers to start integrating the watch into apps as time goes by, I currently demo CCTV on my ipad and iphone, it wont be long before I will be able to do this on my watch also. The same for Intruder Alarms and Access Control.

Cant wait for generation two, camera and facetime to watch would be so Space 1999.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711