Which model should I get?

hahler2

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating between the sport watch and watch models. I work outside a lot. I'm in agriculture so lots of dirt and dust.

Sport model pros. I think the brushed aluminum body will hold up better. It won't show the scratches or scuffs like polished stainless steel. Also the non sapphire screen is supposedly brighter in the sunlight.

Sport model cons. The screen will be easier to scratch.

Watch pros. Sapphire screen won't scratch as easily. The polished stainless will look great when I want to put on a nicer band and go out for the night.

Watch cons. Body will scratch easily and I've heard the screen is very hard to see in bright sunlight.

I'm leaning towards the sport but not sure. What are your guys thoughts and experiences?

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd go with the Sport as you could get a screen protector. Less expensive, lighter, and if somehow the watch were to get damaged, it may not feel so bad.

I don't have my Sport yet, but plan to use it outdoors (hiking, fishing, etc.), cycling (MTB and road), around the house, at work (office), yard work/landscaping, and working in the garage. Not ag work, but will be similar exposure to dust/dirt, grime, sweat, etc.

I'm thinking about this case Amazon.com: Apple Watch Case, LUVVITT? CLARITY Case for Apple Watch 42mm | Includes TEMPERED GLASS Screen Protector - Full Body Apple Watch Cover and Screen Protector for Apple Watch | Crystal Clear Case for Apple Watch | TPU Flexible Rubber Case | F and while it won't protect from dust/dirt. A case like this should help for the occasional accidental bumps.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I went with the Sport despite really wanting a SS model. My decision was based on the fact that this is a gen one product. I will be getting a screen protector and a case. I probably won't have the case on all the time though. I figure I'll look at a stainless model once they get into gen 3 or so but this really depends on the improvements they make. Have you seen them at an Apple Store yet? That might help you decide.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I will usually recommend the Sport to anyone for their first Apple Watch. It's too new, for me, to go out and get a more expensive one. Get used to it, find out if you like it, and spend the extra $200+ later, if you want a higher quality screen resistance and better materials.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm debating between the sport watch and watch models. I work outside a lot. I'm in agriculture so lots of dirt and dust.

Sport model pros. I think the brushed aluminum body will hold up better. It won't show the scratches or scuffs like polished stainless steel. Also the non sapphire screen is supposedly brighter in the sunlight.

Sport model cons. The screen will be easier to scratch.

Watch pros. Sapphire screen won't scratch as easily. The polished stainless will look great when I want to put on a nicer band and go out for the night.

Watch cons. Body will scratch easily and I've heard the screen is very hard to see in bright sunlight.

I'm leaning towards the sport but not sure. What are your guys thoughts and experiences?

I have purposely done physically hard work with my Watch Sport model. I wanted to see how well it held up. Well, I've had my Watch for a little over two weeks now and I can straight up tell you that it can take a licking. There aren't any cracks, scratches, dents, scrapes or dings anywhere on the device and dirt and dust washes off well with regard to the sport band. Personally speaking, I would recommend the Sport model and a few different band types to dress it up with. I get stares all the time and out of the people who have asked me if this was the Watch, not one of them (at least from what I recall) has ever asked which model it was.

hahler2

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Good advice thank you everyone. I am leaning towards the sport model with a black band. I don't live anywhere even remotely near an Apple store. However, I am going to Minneapolis in the end of June. I think I will just wait till then to go see them in person and try a couple on. Also hoping that by then they will be in stock in the store.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Good advice thank you everyone. I am leaning towards the sport model with a black band. I don't live anywhere even remotely near an Apple store. However, I am going to Minneapolis in the end of June. I think I will just wait till then to go see them in person and try a couple on. Also hoping that by then they will be in stock in the store.

On behalf of everyone who replied, you're very welcome...:)

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
The deciding factor for me was the sapphire face. My everyday watch is a ss watch and yes it's got scratches but they can be and have been buffed/polished out.

My face on the the other hand is sapphire and it doesn't have a single mark on it. I've smashed it into walls and literally wore this watch everyday for 2 years.

JumpingJayzuz

May 6, 2015
Visit site

Apple said the watch will be in stores from June - so you should be good.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods