Sport band pin + table or Macbook = scratches?

artysx

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
sportbandpin_320.png

I planned to get Apple Watch Space Grey Sport, but then I started to get concerned about the metal pin on the band.
I work all day at the table with a keyboard or a Macbook and I'm afraid the pin will be touching and scratching the surface. In fact I don't really care about the scratches, but about the overall comfort, sounds, etc. I tried my old metal bracelet watch and it's definitely "not compatible" with aluminum Macbook.

Does anyone work at a table with a sport band on? Does the metal pin touch/scratch anything?

PS. I'm considering to go with SS Leather Loop if sport band doesn't work.

Megan Blok

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 81592

I planned to get Apple Watch Space Grey Sport, but then I started to get concerned about the metal pin on the band.
I work all day at the table with a keyboard or a Macbook and I'm afraid the pin will be touching and scratching the surface. In fact I don't really care about the scratches, but about the overall comfort, sounds, etc. I tried my old metal bracelet watch and it's definitely "not compatible" with aluminum Macbook.

Does anyone work at a table with a sport band on? Does the metal pin touch/scratch anything?

I'm always on my laptop which is also aluminum but I haven't been super concerned with scratches so wasn't looking out for it I can tell you I don't have any scratches on my laptop and I don't remember hearing any nasty metal to metal noise

akidd411

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
i havent gotten my watch yet (still a few weeks away from delivery of my space grey 42) but i would guess (and hope) that like 90% of the people who tested these watches were using aluminum MacBooks, so this wouldn't be an issue

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm always on my macbook too and never even noticed the watch coming in contact with it. The watch sits high up enough on the wrist to not be an issue (and my "pin" is in the first hole and is on the side anyway), so no scratches or problems whatsoever on my macbooks or desks. :)

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm always on my laptop which is also aluminum but I haven't been super concerned with scratches so wasn't looking out for it I can tell you I don't have any scratches on my laptop and I don't remember hearing any nasty metal to metal noise

Same goes for me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 81592

I have had my Watch now for a couple of weeks, and i wear it every day, even to work, and I don't baby it. I've wrestled with my youngest and most active son, I've unloaded trucks, washed dishes with the edge of the watch resting against my stainless steel sink, exercised with it, etcetera, and you will not find a scratch, dent, scrape, chip or crack anywhere on it. Having said that, I've just returned from an hour cardio workout, and have yet to get cleaned up. As you can see via the attached photo, the metal stop on my Watch sport is shiney and scratch-free. The band itself, is dirty and covered in sweat, but I'll clean it prior to getting in the shower momentarily.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431963715.957143.jpg

jimkraz

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
The head of the metal pin is only 4mm across, it looks bigger in these photo's, it protrudes about 1mm through the strap, it aint going to get in any ones way.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
How's the Apple Watch band going to be any different than any other normal watch band ever made ???
It seams like people invent ways to be concerned about nothing when Apple makes something ...
leather-watch-strap-black-orion-0202.jpg

Smallbore22

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
This issue is real, my IT folks who have the apple sports watch have all warned me of this problem. I have seen the damage from the pin. I have the leather band with classic buckle and the sports band. The buckle is offset just enough to be no issue. The pin is right under my wrist and it's always touching the desk surface.

Trig8

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
It depends on how you hold your wrist while typing. My wrist is slightly angled so I have no issue. If you have a problem with your wrist at an angle, swap the sides for the band and the pin will be out of the way.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
If I am sitting at my desk at work, I notice the pin hitting my macbook occasionally. If I have the macbook on my lap I don't seem to have that issue. Solution - I use an external apple keyboard at work. My office is usually freezing cold, so I often have a sweatshirt or long sleeve shirt on at the office too.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Most every watch has something there, whether it is a metal buckle or a strap entirely made of metal (like the link bracelet). Can't think of a time when it has been an issue :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73