Apple Watch apps keep re-installing, anyone else?

freediverx

May 14, 2014
Visit site
While I don't have my own watch yet (Ships in June...) - everything I've read indicates if an app has watch compatibility, if you update the app on the phone, it gets pushed to the watch too... so - working as designed...

That's incorrect. There's a setting to allow the user to disable automatic downloads to the watch. This setting is being ignored.

IMG_9553.PNG

freediverx

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Would people please post which apps are having this re-installing issue? Just wondering if this is a problem with the system overall, or only with certain apps.

For me, it was the NY Times Cooking app. All other apps have been well-behaved -- that is, they have not installed themselves on my Watch without permission.

Zillow, WWDC, WeChat, Tidegraph, Priceline, LINE, HealthDash, Foursquare, , FamilyGuy (game), to name a few.

freediverx

May 14, 2014
Visit site
The issue seems to occur when an iPhone app updates. The update is also pushing the watch app as well. I suspect the issue is with the Apple Watch app on iPhone, likely to be fixed with the next iOS update.

For me it also happens when installing an app from scratch for the first time, so the issue is not exclusive to app updates.

Millbrook

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I haven't had any newly-installed apps appear uninvited on my Watch -- for me, it has happened only when certain existing apps received updates. On the other hand, I'm not using any of the particular apps you listed.

My guess is that some app developers are ignoring the do-not-install flag?

myweb2search

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue - apps automatically showing / loading on my apple watch. I thought it was only happening with apps that I had loaded and then unloaded and figured they were loading again when updated, but I had Groupon show up today and I never told it to show on my watch. I've also had Etsy, Amazon and Nike Running show up all on their own. It's odd because there are about 25 apps in my iPhone Watch app that are available to show and I'm only having trouble with a handful of them. Btw - I have automatic downloads turned off.

gmabev

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Here is what I have discovered and also think I read in a post on this subject somewhere else. I am a person who does all their updates through iTunes on my computer and then sync my phone on my computer. When I do it this way, the apps that I have on my phone and are compatible with watch that have updates will reinstall on my watch. At initial setup I let all compatible apps to be installed and then removed what I didn't. Having discovered this glitch, I now make sure that update any watch compatible app that I DON'T want on the watch via my phone before connecting it to computer. That way I keep only the apps I want on my watch and those I don't won't creep back on.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
So I keep telling apps to NOT install on my Apple Watch, but they keep re-installing themselves. I "think" this seems to be happening whenever an app gets an update. Seems like they are pushed back to the Watch whenever an update is triggered.

Anyone else having this issue? Trying to get a feel for whether or not anyone else is experiencing this, or if it's just me and maybe something I'm doing?

I have this issue too. And today (6/26) my Pandora and Merriam-Webster apps uninstalled themselves from the watch (see the two blanks spots on Mickey's ears?). I turned them back on from the Apple app but they still aren't showing up on the home screen so I turned on Glances and they show up there but still not on the home screen.

Strange.

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1435348435.141989.jpg

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I did a test today and confirmed my theories.

If you update or install an app on your phone the corresponding watch app will not automatically install. If you use iTunes to get an app or update an app then when you sync the phone to iTunes and it installs the updates on the phone the watch apps install.

I tested this a few times and it worked like that each time. So to prevent apps from auto installing on your watch, update them from the phone not from iTunes.

2BTs4Me

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I always update on my iPhone and never on iTunes. Updated apps install themselves even tho I said they shouldn't. I finally gave up and let anything that wants to be on my Apple Watch stay there. It is annoying...

thynes420

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I have reset my apple watch numerous times trying to fix the notification glitch and it just want for the life of it make phone calls or get notifications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR