To disable the Apple Watch display from turning on automatically, follow these instructions!

CrackBerry Kevin

Aug 30, 2007
www.crackberry.com
Just received my Apple Watch Sport today and began wearing it an hour ago. It only took minutes of wearing it to realize that I needed to turn off the wrist flick functionality that turns on the Apple Watch's display automatically.

I'm an excited guy. I talk with my hands a LOT (a habit I picked up from my Italian girlfriend apparently...lol). Anyways, I found the Apple Watch to become immediately distracting to conversations. As I'm talking -- with no intent of the looking at the watch because I'm talking -- the display is constantly turning on and off.

I would MUCH prefer to Apple have a low power mode on the display so it's always on and just faded.. and then when you tap it it brightens up.

This set me on a quest to to disable this feature, but when I opened the Apple Watch app on my iPhone I couldn't find a setting. There's a setting for Wrist Detection, which sounds like the thing you would want to disable.. but that's not it. Below that, there's a feature for Activate on Wrist Raise, which also sounds like the proper setting, but when you tap that you only get two options: 1) Show Watch Face or 2) Resume Previous Activity.

wrist-raise-app.jpg
you can't disable it from the iPhone app

This had me thinking you couldn't even disable the auto turn-on display functionality...which would be HORRIBLE.

BUT... it turns out you can do it. you just have to do it on the Apple Watch itself.

Just go to Settings > General > Activate on Wrist ... and from there you can disable it. So. Much. Better.

wrist-raise.png
you can however, disable it in settings on the watch itself​

I'm a little disturbed that the first thing I wanted to disable on the Apple Watch turned out to be kind of confusing. Hopefully Apple can get that setting into the app asap. I can't be the only hand talker out there who will want to kill that functionality asap.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought I might need to disable this function to save battery; however, I'm finishing my day with around 30% left, so . . . I'll leave it on because it's so handy.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
I don't mean to change this thread's subject, but why did you buy the sport, versus the SS? Just curious. I am definitely getting the sport because of weight and that fact that I'll probably upgrade to the next version in a year and don't want too much invested.

CrackBerry Kevin

Aug 30, 2007
www.crackberry.com
Good question. I bought BOTH!! Ordered the Sport in Black/Space Grey, and the Stainless Steel in Space Grey. The Sport just shipped first. Get the SS version in June.

I don't mean to change this thread's subject, but why did you buy the sport, versus the SS? Just curious. I am definitely getting the sport because of weight and that fact that I'll probably upgrade to the next version in a year and don't want too much invested.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm a huge hand talker as well, Kevin, but I actually haven't had this problem, luckily. I'm sure it depends upon the pattern in which you move your hands, so it's highly personal.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I can understand wanting to turn this off. I'm a person who constantly uses hand gestures when talking to someone and it wouldn't be good on battery life. My girlfriend says I have a certain "tick" even with my hands when I'm still. I can't be the only person.

I listened to MBW this week and Adam Christianson said the simple tap to wake isn't that much of an inconvenience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods